Whole-House Water Softeners?

I've talked with a salesperson from Hague and one from Culligan. They both were very comparable in price. Since I am not an expert in this area by any means, I think we are going to go with Culligan for the following reasons: the representative lives in Calvert County, Culligan has been around forever (maybe Hague has too, but I've not heard of them), they have better financing options, and the interaction with the sales person just seemed more up front and comfortable. The Hague rep. talked about their company having the latest technology in the industry and pointed out flaws in the competition. This fell on deaf ears since I know nothing about how the inside of a water softener works. I just need to know that it does what it is supposed to do when it is supposed to do it. I searched all over the Internet for unbiased reviews, but they are not easy to come by. I didn't find much of anything on Consumer Reports, either. So, I apologize for the lack of concrete information, but this is the best I have to go on. Good Luck!