FLOTUS wants control of your grocery cart

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
FLOTUS Wants To Fundamentally Transform Our Grocery Carts
Written by Daisy

Considering that her husband uses junk food at every turn to try to "connect with ordinary Americans," it seems sort of hypocritical that FLOTUS would want to transform our grocery carts into creepy, talking pieces of Big Brother machinery that will "notify (all of us stupid minions) when we’ve selected enough healthy items."

It will cost each grocery store about $30,000 to implement the creepy grocery carts.

The world is literally falling apart before our eyes right now, and our First Lady could be doing something useful like pleading with mothers in places like El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras to STOP GIVING THEIR CHILDREN to coyotes, because their kids are in obvious danger. She could be helping homeless children here in America. She could be tackling literacy and numeracy skills and why we're tanking in education here in the U.S. She could be tackling a number of problems right now that are obvious to folks like you and me, but I guess when you're busy packing for yet another extended vacay in Martha's Vineyard on the taxpayer's dime, you get a little distracted from real problems.

USDA Suggests Changes to Grocery Stores to ‘Nudge’ Consumers to Eat Healthy
Talking shopping carts, spotlighting on vegetables

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is suggesting major changes to grocery stores to “nudge” Americans to purchase healthier foods when they shop.

The agency commissioned an “expert panel” to make recommendations on how to guide the more than 47 million Americans on food stamps into spending their benefits on fruits and vegetables.

The group released an 80-page report this month presenting their ideas, which include talking shopping carts and a marketing strategy for grocery chains that would feature better store lighting for healthier items.

“Most Americans, including Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participants, do not purchase enough whole grains, dark green and orange vegetables, and legumes, and purchase too many items with excess calories from fats and added sugars,” the report said.

“At the same time, the food retail environment is saturated with food marketing messages, including health and nutrition claims and information, advertisements, and promotions for many unhealthy food items,” it said.

and if you were wondering, the MO tie in;

The USDA said the ideas are “intended to change the choice architecture of the food retail environment to make healthier choices more prominent,” which is in line with first lady Michelle Obama’s stated second term agenda to “impact the nature of food in grocery stores.”

how soon, until this is calling in to your for a health check, and you will not be allow to purchase that steak ..... because your health insurance provider will deny it

Hijinx

Written by Daisy

Considering that her husband uses junk food at every turn to try to "connect with ordinary Americans," it seems sort of hypocritical that FLOTUS would want to transform our grocery carts into creepy, talking pieces of Big Brother machinery that will "notify (all of us stupid minions) when we’ve selected enough healthy items."

It will cost each grocery store about $30,000 to implement the creepy grocery carts.

The world is literally falling apart before our eyes right now, and our First Lady could be doing something useful like pleading with mothers in places like El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras to STOP GIVING THEIR CHILDREN to coyotes, because their kids are in obvious danger. She could be helping homeless children here in America. She could be tackling literacy and numeracy skills and why we're tanking in education here in the U.S. She could be tackling a number of problems right now that are obvious to folks like you and me, but I guess when you're busy packing for yet another extended vacay in Martha's Vineyard on the taxpayer's dime, you get a little distracted from real problems.

how soon, until this is calling in to your for a health check, and you will not be allow to purchase that steak ..... because your health insurance provider will deny it

Steak was over $10,00 a lb. last week, that kept me away.

BigBlue

Written by Daisy

LOL , ok DA first it is not FLOTUS ,it is the grocery companies and their suppliers , "healthier" foods cost more and have more of a profit margin .Everything in the grocery stores is there, and they are set up to make you buy more and more ,it's marketing 101 ,idiot !

SamSpade

LOL , ok DA first it is not FLOTUS ,it is the grocery companies and their suppliers , "healthier" foods cost more and have more of a profit margin .Everything in the grocery stores is there, and they are set up to make you buy more and more ,it's marketing 101 ,idiot !

So I'm guessing that the fact that the initiative came from the USDA is irrelevant?

If you are correct regarding profit margins, which I doubt - it's no matter to retailers who adjust their stock according to demand. I'm sure that even if there is more profit in healthy food, it's likely less than selling ten times the amount of less healthy food that is sold now.

I really can't see grocery chains asking for annoying talking grocery carts. Customers already fuss over squeaky wheels. Imagine if those wheels spoke words.

PeoplesElbow

No, they don't.

Did you know that Coke, Pepsi, Frito Lay actually pay grocery stores for "prime locations" I seriously doubt the cabbage growers association of America does the same thing.

limblips

PREMO Member
Everything has a UPC. Make a list of approved foods and if the scan isn't on the list, it cannot be bought with SNAP. No talking carts needed. Solutions looking for problems. Fidiots!

PeoplesElbow

Also there is a ton of waste in produce sections in grocery stores, every apple that falls off the shelf and is bruised, every over ripe pear etc is a loss. Rarely do you see a bag of potato chips sent to the dumpster.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Everything has a UPC. Make a list of approved foods and if the scan isn't on the list, it cannot be bought with SNAP. No talking carts needed. Solutions looking for problems. Fidiots!

Look! A reasonable solution! :faint:

I wonder sometimes if our elected representatives aren't all mentally ill or retarded. They sure don't seem to have anything resembling brain power.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
it would be deemed racist to keep a SNAP 'er from getting Lobster, Steak and Doritos ....

BigBlue

No, they don't.

Did you know that Coke, Pepsi, Frito Lay actually pay grocery stores for "prime locations" I seriously doubt the cabbage growers association of America does the same thing.

Yeah they do DA .Banana growers , strawberry do it around holiday time .Ever go to Giant and Safeway and see the big signs about local fresh produce ,the companies push that because they don't have as high a mark up as produce trucked in from CA or GA or NJ .Organics are high because it is a higher overhead to grow all organic produce moron . You rocky compare that to Coke or Pepsi where they are losing sales to new market Teas ,Juice's and waters all more expensive but healthier for you .

PeoplesElbow

Yeah they do DA .Banana growers , strawberry do it around holiday time .Ever go to Giant and Safeway and see the big signs about local fresh produce ,the companies push that because they don't have as high a mark up as produce trucked in from CA or GA or NJ .Organics are high because it is a higher overhead to grow all organic produce moron . You rocky compare that to Coke or Pepsi where they are losing sales to new market Teas ,Juice's and waters all more expensive but healthier for you .

Yes, and I worked at a grocery store where we put a locally grown sign on stuff that was trucked in from California because morons like you ate that #### up.

Along with increasing the price of something by $1 and then sticking a 50 cents off coupon on it, another moron catcher. At least 15% of the produce in a grocery store goes to waste.

Hijinx

If they put a speaker on my grocery cart I may accidentally spill a coke into the speaker.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm a label reader so I think it would be cool to have a grocery cart talk to me. I know you fatties want your unfettered junk food (unless it's a welfare person; they should only eat healthy on our dime. Unless it was Michelle Obama's idea; then they should be able to get whatever they want.) but I tend toward the hippie granola side of my food where I want to be mostly sugar and chemical free. So if I dumped some, say, salmon cakes in my cart and it said, "Hold on, girlfriend, that doesn't even have any real fish in it," or "You don't need those Fritos," I'd think that was neat and appreciate it.

You big fatties sure are invested in your snack cakes. It's kind of creepy.