Fatal Accident At MIR today

sockgirl77

From the Somdwxnews FB page:

Serious Motorcycle Accident At Maryland International Raceway: At Approximately 12:47 PM, Fire/EMS/Police were dispatched to Maryland International Raceway for a reported Accident involving a motorcyclist. Units responded and they were advised of a Cyclist than ran into a barrier at the track. CPR was being performed on the patient by a EMT that was on the scene. MSP Trooper 7 was requested due to the severity of injuries being reported from the callers on the scene. Fire/EMS arrived on the scene and advised of a 21 Year Old Male that had severe head trauma and body trauma from hitting a Chain Link Barrier Fence. CPR was still being performed on the patient as MSP Trooper 7 approached the scene by 1:05 PM. At Approximately 1:09 PM that patient was confirmed dead due length of CPR being performed and seriousness of the bleeding. Police have now taken over the Accident Scene and remain on the scene at this time.

The BayNet had this little blurb:

http://www.thebaynet.com/News/index...nt_categoryID/38241-News/comment/Y#subcomment

NewsNet: http://smnewsnet.com/archives/10651...nd-international-raceway-under-investigation/

:ohwell:

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
That sucks :(. That's the second one this year I think, though the last guy was in a car. What a shame. I think those of us that race tend to forget how dangerous it can be sometimes. You do the right thing by racing at the track, get all the proper safety gear, follow the rules, and still accidents happen.

Condolences to the family of the deceased. I suppose if I had to pick a way to go, going out while doing something I really enjoyed isn't the worst way to do it.

dave1959

This doesn't sound like a racing incident. Sounds to me like someone ran into the "closed" barrier trying to get into the track... Just my thought.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
smnewsnet.com says they were called to the staging area, which is opposite the entrance to the track.

Danzig

UPDATE: The name released by the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office was incorrect, the correct name of the deceased is Aaron Slemker, 21 years old, of Clayton, Ohio.
Further investigation revealed, Slemker was participating in a motorcycle drag racing class. After the warm up lap, Slemker was returning to the staging area operating his 2012 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R at a high rate of speed when he lost control of the motorcycle.

glhs837

Power with Control
That sucks :(. That's the second one this year I think, though the last guy was in a car. What a shame. I think those of us that race tend to forget how dangerous it can be sometimes. You do the right thing by racing at the track, get all the proper safety gear, follow the rules, and still accidents happen.

Condolences to the family of the deceased. I suppose if I had to pick a way to go, going out while doing something I really enjoyed isn't the worst way to do it.

The guy in the car, there was talk about how his helmet magically came off........... never heard any results of the investigation into that.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
The guy in the car, there was talk about how his helmet magically came off........... never heard any results of the investigation into that.

Yeah, I remember. Speculation was he took off his helmet after crossing the traps and lost control in the process. If that's what happened, that was a foolish move for sure. I never heard conclusively if it came off, or if he took it off. That story never did add up..the car was properly equipped for the times it was running, and all his safety equipment was intact from what I remember reading. Something there was suspect for sure..and probably points to driver error.

Still, it's a shame the guy had to die over it. Hate to see that kind of stuff. The safety rules and equipment are there for a reason. It looks like this latest accident could have been the result of some irresponsible behavior as well..it looks like the bike hit the fence behind the starting line. There is absolutely NO reason to be going fast back there.

glhs837

Power with Control
Initial report said "he was driving fast", which in the update became "he was doing training". Smells to me like he was hotdogging it after a run, but they are saving face. Saying he was doing launch control drills over there so as to clog the lanes, and the bike got away from him, something to that effect. Me, I cant imagine taking my helmet off after the traps can't imagine why you would do that before clearing the track

sockgirl77

Initial report said "he was driving fast", which in the update became "he was doing training". Smells to me like he was hotdogging it after a run, but they are saving face. Saying he was doing launch control drills over there so as to clog the lanes, and the bike got away from him, something to that effect. Me, I cant imagine taking my helmet off after the traps can't imagine why you would do that before clearing the track

Are you mixing the 2 stories up? I'm not seeing where the motorcycle driver took his helmet off. :confused:

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth

Me either. But you never know..maybe something got in his eye or part of the helmet came loose inside and he tried to remove it to see or something. Or maybe he was just hot. Hard to say why folks do stuff sometimes. I know that I'd never even try to pull mine off at speed. I've been guilty of taking it off on the return lane heading over to get my timestamp at 10mph before, but even then I try to wait until I pull past the booth and stop. I agree..it seems odd, but I don't want to judge the guy because he might have had what seemed like a good reason at the time.

glhs837

Power with Control
socki, yes, sort of the first part was about the biker, the second part was about the driver.