Any Judo players out there?

seuberl

Living in St. Marys County is nice. But the Judo scene is literally non-existent. As in there is not one solitary club here. The nearest places to practice are in White Plains and Chesapeake Beach. I am literally on the verge of buying half a dozen mats, throwing them on the grass, and inviting people to practice with me. Does this seem rash? "The Judo bug is strong with this one." Anyone else feel this way? Wish there was a club around but I haven't the rank to open one (or time or money). It seems to me that with the Base and College there would be enough people to support a club. Who knows.. Maybe there are people out there thinking the same thing?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Living in St. Marys County is nice. But the Judo scene is literally non-existent. As in there is not one solitary club here. The nearest places to practice are in White Plains and Chesapeake Beach. I am literally on the verge of buying half a dozen mats, throwing them on the grass, and inviting people to practice with me. Does this seem rash? "The Judo bug is strong with this one." Anyone else feel this way? Wish there was a club around but I haven't the rank to open one (or time or money). It seems to me that with the Base and College there would be enough people to support a club. Who knows.. Maybe there are people out there thinking the same thing?

I am not into it judo nor do I live in SOMD. I simply wanted to comment that THIS is how things happen; a want or need that isn't being met and someone who wants or needs it...makes it happen.

Make you a club. Who knows? Maybe there is plenty of interest? Maybe you can find some money, find some ranked people to teach and /or lead?

seuberl

Hello guys and thanks for responding. I am interested in some form of informal training so if you would like to PM me feel free to get my contact info. I've looked into renting space in the area and the going rate is about 1 dollar per square foot per month. So 500 sq. feet of space would run 500 dollars per month. Since i'm not really interested in making money with this I see no need to rent out commercial space. I've looked into buying used mats and/or building a suitable Judo surface. That cost varies and depends on whether or not there is a permanent facility to keep the equipment. Basically i'm just interested in finding people that are willing to practice for the moment. I'm roughly a 180 pound male. Although the principals of Judo say that weight differences shouldn't matter it does help to find people your size to train with. I've obtained my 3rd Brown belt after about three years of training. My father was a Judo player while in the Air Force in Japan and was quite good by his recollection. I need some people to work with. Unlike skateboarding, In Judo you do need two to tango.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I live right by you. I have quite a bit of mileage on me though being 43 (in August) and from being into a lot of physical stuff most of my life. My father had a Judo dojo while I was growing up in NY and I got my brown belt under Dr. Sachio Ashida at the Brockport Judo Club presented to me by his daughter Janet Ashida who was on the Olympic Judo team. I went into the military and ended up in the Va. Beach Judo club but after leaving there I just worked with people one on one until I started Cuong Nhu here in SOMD. It has Judo in it once you reach brown belt. It’s mostly Shotokan Karate up until that point but it gave me a small Judo fix for a while. My Fathers a 76 year old Nidan and the last time I was home he presented me with my BB. I know it’s not official because it wasn't through the USJA but it meant so much to me I can’t even tell you. :bawl: Anyhoo, I’m 185lbs and have been mostly kickboxing the last year and Boxing whenever I get hurt :frown:…If you get some mats I’d be up for some light mat work/rolling, but we’d need some serious mats before we could throw. I’ve been thrown on hard wood before by accident and that’s not something I’d want to do again unless I was being attacked.

:yay:

Last edited:

seuberl

Hello again, I may try stopping into one of your Cuong Nhu classes for the time being. Looking forward to it. Please don't kick my ass!

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Hello again, I may try stopping into one of your Cuong Nhu classes for the time being. Looking forward to it. Please don't kick my ass!

Cool! I haven't been there in over a year. You know where to find me if you're looking for a Judo player or sparring partner!

:buddies:

Last edited: