Strengths, weaknesses of Pax River base outlined

RPMDAD

Have been meaning to post this, but just found the link on line, read the hard copy in the paper last week.

Patuxent River Naval Air Station and its 22,000-plus jobs are not at great risk of closure or realignment whenever the next federal round of military base closures comes, according to a report issued last week.

The Southern Maryland Navy Alliance, with $75,000 from the St. Mary’s County commissioners, hired a consultant for $60,000, which produced the report about the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to Pax River and its facilities.

During 1993 and 1995 base realignment and closure decisions, “the Navy deliberately prepared NAS Patuxent River and Webster Field Annex to become enduring installations,” the report said.

I did notice on one of the Weaknesses listed. Good old MD.

Some weaknesses cited in the report:

• Mission sensitivity. The sensitivity and complexity of the work done at Patuxent River “inhibit the ability to easily understand the missions in a way that earns broader support for their sustainment.” While it doesn’t apply to those directly involved, “it does hinder the ability to educate non-technical, political, professional, media, decision- and/or influence-makers and potential supporters.”

“It’s our very uniqueness, it makes the work less understood by our decision-makers,” Finnacom said. “It points out uniqueness is also a weakness because it’s not well understood.”

High energy costs, the high cost of doing business in Maryland and locally high housing costs. “Analysis of the difference in rates demonstrates an additional cost of several thousand dollars annually to assign military personnel to NAS Patuxent River instead of competing installations.”

http://www.somdnews.com/article/20140716/NEWS/140719661&template=southernMaryland

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
of these 22K jobs, would be interesting to see how many are USN/USMC, 2k,10K ? Mission Sensitivity wise technical people should be able to dumb down enough to educate the uneducated! The one big thing that has moved out west is smart bomb testing , with the flyout of these bombs, hard to do now for test of WDA etc.....

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
PAX is safe only as long as Hoyer is in office. Does anyone really think that his replacement (from a de facto majority/minority district based in Prince George's County) will give two ####s about the base?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
PAX is safe only as long as Hoyer is in office. Does anyone really think that his replacement (from a de facto majority/minority district based in Prince George's County) will give two ####s about the base?

nope .... when steny leaves, so does the powerful committee position - and it all potentially moves for a new generation

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
there HAS to be some workers that are from PG !!!! 5 more years thats all i care about, then it's OUTA here !!!!!!!! Sten-Stupid should be able to survive till then i hope.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not that I am a fan of Hoyer but when the republicans introduced BRAC a long time ago he fought to keep PAX off the list.

How did he do that? When could he have done that? How did the "Republicans" introduce BRAC?

The BRAC is an independent nine-member panel appointed by the President. This panel evaluated the list by taking testimony from interested parties and paying visits to affected bases. The BRAC Commission had the opportunity to add bases to the list, and did so in a July 19, 2005 hearing. The Commission met their deadline of September 2005 to provide the evaluated list to the President, who approved the list with the condition that the list could only be approved or disapproved in its entirety. On November 7, 2005 the approved list was then given to Congress which then had the opportunity to disapprove the entire list within 45 days by enacting a resolution of disapproval. This did not happen and the BRAC Commission’s recommendations became final.

Legally, about all Steny could have been is one of those "interested parties" allowed to provide testimony to the commission.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Wasn't the first BRAC back in either 1988 or 1990? Since we were still in the 1st District back then, our Congressman would have been either Dyson or Gilchrest.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Wasn't the first BRAC back in either 1988 or 1990? Since we were still in the 1st District back then, our Congressman would have been either Dyson or Gilchrest.

:yeahthat: And BRAC was part of the Defense Authorization Act introduced by Les Aspin during the 101st Congress and Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
:yeahthat: And BRAC was part of the Defense Authorization Act introduced by Les Aspin during the 101st Congress and Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress.

More pesky fax.

I've always despised Hoyer for his spurious claims regarding Pax River's existence. And often been astonished at the extent to which they are parroted.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
If Steny was such a great person for Pax why don't you ask all those presidental helo people who lost their jobs what they think about his "saving pax" crap. Oh, and lets not forget the sequestration effects on pax and all those contractors that got laid off.

bilbur

How did he do that? When could he have done that? How did the "Republicans" introduce BRAC?

Legally, about all Steny could have been is one of those "interested parties" allowed to provide testimony to the commission.

BRACK gained momentum in 1988 during the Reagan years and in 1990 they considered closing 34 NAVY instillations. PAXR was on that short list and Hoyer went to bat for us so instead of closing down we expanded with the closure of the NAVAIR facility in PA in 1997. We were also kept off of the list in 1991, 1993, 1995, and 2005. The 1990's situations are why many long time residents vote for him to this day.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If Steny was such a great person for Pax why don't you ask all those presidental helo people who lost their jobs what they think about his "saving pax" crap. Oh, and lets not forget the sequestration effects on pax and all those contractors that got laid off.

To be fair..there have been some earmarks and DoD budget line insertions going to Pax that Steny can claim at least some credit for. So what?...that is true of every representative in the entire country that has a DoD facility in their district. It's the lies about being able to have (illegally) influenced the BRAC process that get my goat.

bilbur

You seem to forget that the blame for that was on both sides. Nether side would budge and congress held thousands of American jobs hostage during sequestration. I consider all of them POS's for that situation, I don't care what there affiliation is.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
BRACK gained momentum in 1988 during the Reagan years and in 1990 they considered closing 34 NAVY instillations. PAXR was on that short list and Hoyer went to bat for us so instead of closing down we expanded with the closure of the NAVAIR facility in PA in 1997. We were also kept off of the list in 1991, 1993, 1995, and 2005. The 1990's situations are why many long time residents vote for him to this day.

Having read all those talking points many times before, but cognizant of the actual facts of the BRAC process, perhaps you could elaborate on specifically what Hoyer "did"..

bilbur

Having read all those talking points many times before, but cognizant of the actual facts of the BRAC process, perhaps you could elaborate on specifically what Hoyer "did"..

I was still a freshmen in high school at the time but I can still remember my parents having gloom and doom discussions about what might happen to PAX and to St. Mary's for that matter. I was always told by many local residents that Hoyer used his influence to keep PAX off the BRAC lists. As far as I am concerned he could be blowing smoke up everyone's a$$, I am just saying why many of the locals still vote for him. As for me, I am a what have you done for me lately kind of person so I vote for who is closest to my beliefs and political views. Sometimes it is a Democrat, sometimes it is a Republican, and sometimes it is an independent or write in. Sometimes I put my own name in there but I haven't won yet.

bilbur

Too bad the idea of it was entirely the White House's.

All the Republicans had to do was sign off on it and we wouldn't have sequestration but they chose that issue to fight against Obamacare. All the Democrats had to do was give a little on Obamacare and the Republicans would have stopped holding jobs hostage. Like I said they are both POS's.