Miserable User status? Who knew?

glhs837

Power with Control
So, on another forum I frequent and am a moderator on, we have a problem child who's basically abusing the for sale section. It's his only interaction, and it's clear he is selling a lot more than personal stuff. So, discussing this with admin, we were asked for our opinions on the following options. First two are normal stuff, the last two I didnt even know about

Restrict his access to that subforum

Permaban him for not heeding previous warnings.

Put him "In conventry" where only us mods and admins can see his posts, but nobody else.

Give him "Miserable User" status. Here's what that does........

When classed as miserable, a member suffers ;

1. Slow response (time delay) on every page (20 to 60 seconds default).
2. A chance they will get the "server busy" message (50% by default).
3. A chance that no search facilities will be available (75% by default).
4. A chance they will get redirected to another preset page (25% & homepage by default).
5. A chance they will simply get a blank page (25% by default).
6. Post flood limit increased by a defined factor (10 times by default).
7. If they get past all this okay, then they will be served up their proper page.

Note: All the above options are set in the vBulletin Options.

talk about your evil genius...........

So, on another forum I frequent and am a moderator on, we have a problem child who's basically abusing the for sale section. It's his only interaction, and it's clear he is selling a lot more than personal stuff. So, discussing this with admin, we were asked for our opinions on the following options. First two are normal stuff, the last two I didnt even know about

Put him "In conventry" where only us mods and admins can see his posts, but nobody else.

You're cheating on us with another forum?!? :cds:

Sweeeeeeet!

That is until I suddenly get slow response (time delay) on every page (20 to 60 seconds default), "server busy" message (50% by default), no search facilities will be available (75% by default), redirected to another preset page (25% & homepage by default), simply get a blank page (25% by default), and my flood limit increased by a defined factor (10 times by default) trying to post on the forums...:mad:

glhs837

Power with Control
sure does, but it's not.

"This Grandma thought she was getting her hair done, but she never expected what happened next!!!!"

"You wont believe where this wrench ended up!""""""

"Man proposes to woman, then something amazing happened!!!!!"

glhs837

Power with Control
Does that actually exist? I thought it was an urban legend.

Not really, it does exist and to be honest, my usage was a bit off from the "clinical" definition which defines it as a headline thats misleading soley to get the reader to click it to drive site views. It's getting more commonly used as I did, to describe the sort of headlines, that while accurate, still are worded in such a way as to draw you to the site to get the best part of the story. Most commonly seen in the recommended FB posts.

glhs837

Power with Control
Passive-aggressive much? If you have someone repeatdely violating the rules why not just give them the boot?

Don't know, that's I've always done, I wield the permaban stick with wild abandon :) Never knew this existed. I suppose it's a punishment, which can be hard to apply to forum users.