Getting Pregnant

ImaMPD

I've been on this forum a while under a different name. So I made this one to get some advice anonymously.

So husband and I are trying to have a baby. I have irregular periods some times I skip a month. I have no idea about any of this stuff.

So my question is how long do I have to wait to take a pregnancy test?

I can't use the missed period method because they cannot be tracked due to the irregularity. I know I could Google this but I've read so many different blogs,posts etc. I know some of the people on here struggled with getting pregnant as well.

KDENISE977

F@ck a lot.

:yeahthat:

Google and count the number of days from your cycle. Mine was very irregular, every 45 days or so, give or take. I got pregnant in about a month using those over the counter fertility predictor they sell. We were FLOORED it happened so soon.

MMM_donuts

The pregnancy hormone (hCG) that pregnancy tests use to determine positive pregnancy starts showing up around 2-3 weeks after conception. Conception is usually a few days after sex so just treat yourself as though you are pregnant and maybe test yourself every 1-2 weeks.

ImaMPD

:yeahthat:

Google and count the number of days from your cycle. Mine was very irregular, every 45 days or so, give or take. I got pregnant in about a month using those over the counter fertility predictor they sell. We were FLOORED it happened so soon.

Well it's all over the place some months its clock work some months its not. I'm working on over a month with out one now. I have ovulation sticks but they haven't been positive. I'm just trying to figure out how soon I can take a pregnancy test.we did it Sunday Monday and last night. So I thinking the week after next.

TPD

the poor dad
I've been on this forum a while under a different name. So I made this one to get some advice anonymously.

So husband and I are trying to have a baby. I have irregular periods some times I skip a month. I have no idea about any of this stuff.

I can't use the missed period method because they cannot be tracked due to the irregularity. I know I could Google this but I've read so many different blogs,posts etc. I know some of the people on here struggled with getting pregnant as well.

Are you sure you are fertile? If your menstrual cycles are not regular, you may have other issues and can't get pregnant with out some fertility treatments...not that I'm a female and an expert but do have some knowledge about missed periods and fertility treatments. How's the husband's swimmers?

ImaMPD

Are you sure you are fertile? If your menstrual cycles are not regular, you may have other issues and can't get pregnant with out some fertility treatments...not that I'm a female and an expert but do have some knowledge about missed periods and fertility treatments. How's the husband's swimmers?

Yeah. I have thyroid issues. My whole life it has been jacked up. His swimmers are great we had them checked. We have only been trying for a month, I'm impatient lol

MarieB

Since it sounds like you might be testing often, get some tests at the dollar store. They do work :). Good luck

There really isn't a reason to test often. If you are trying to get pregnant you should already be eating/drinking/medicating as if you are and you can even start pre-natal vitamins. Testing once a month should be sufficient.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Jeez Jess.... like we wouldn't figure this out.... :lmao:
http://forums.somd.com/threads/291565-baby-fever!?p=5414640&viewfull=1#post5414640
http://forums.somd.com/threads/291565-baby-fever!?p=5409933&viewfull=1#post5409933

Roman

Yeah. I have thyroid issues. My whole life it has been jacked up. His swimmers are great we had them checked. We have only been trying for a month, I'm impatient lol
It took me 6 years to get pregnant with our second. My Doctor said that we were trying too hard. In other words, we were having sex too often which can reduce the motility of the "swimmers". By the time I thought that maybe having another child might not be in the books for us, I got pregnant. Relax. It will happen when you least expect it. Get the Thyroid under good control. This might be the reason your cycles are so irregular. Keep track of the first day of your next cycle, and 14 days after that, should be your most fertile time. Good Luck!

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
I'm not a medical doctor ... but I experienced trouble getting pregnant and ended up going to Shady Grove in Waldorf to get help. A few things to think about:
1. Your age - if you're under 35 and trying, try for a year and seek help if you're not pregnant after a year. If you're over 35, try for 6 months and seek help if you don't get pregnant.
2. Irregular periods - have you been tested for PCOS?
3. Are you positive you ovulate? You can go on amazon and buy ovulation testing strips which will help pinpoint if/when you ovulate.
4. Get your thyroid under control .....
5. Start tracking your cycles. If you need to seek help having this information will better assist a doctor.

musiclady

If you are that irregular, ovulation won't be 14 days after your last cycle. It will be 14 days BEFORE your next one, which is impossible to predict. I have had the same problem - mine go anywhere from 35-60 days. I managed to have 4 kids anyway, so it's possible. I second the dollar store tests. Stock up. They work as good as the others. You can test every month. Take prenatal vitamins even though you aren't pregnant yet. They prep your body to be ready for the baby. Try not to focus on it. Somehow the body knows that you're stressing, and the stress hormones will interfere. And, yes, you are not supposed to worry about it unless it's been over a year of trying. Expect it to take a while and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't.

Hannibal

My wife has thyroid issues and we have three amazing children so it all works out. Anyhow, as noted above, she used the ovulation test kits for babies 1 and 2. Number 3 was an "uh oh" which has provided me the experience to offer advice should someone creates a vasectomy thread.

Anyhow - the test kits work. With #1, it was strategic in terms of when we'd hit the bedroom. I really didn't like this to be honest. #2 was more of we weren't trying to "not get pregnant" so things were a bit more normal paced and less pressure. And if I recall, #2 happend a lot quicker than #1.

Easy things you can control - diet and stress which (as my wife informs me) can influence all the womanly operations. For him, get him out of tighty-whities and into loose fitting boxers. Apparently it helps the swimmers. Also, as noted above, if you two are like newlyweds - consider scaling back the bedroom sessions. This is an issue of quality vs. quantity. So, make sure he is also doing his thing by not doing his thing without you.

Honestly, I've heard too many times that "it happend when we gave up" or something similar to think there is not some merit to the thought that simply relaxing and taking the pressure off does wonders.

JosephIV

Has your man been tested? I have family members that can't conceive and it's a combination of female and male problems. With the woman it's egg/ovary related while her hubby's swimmers lack number and motility. They've been told that they won't have kids which is unfortunate. Best of luck to you OP, if it happens enjoy that little blessing.