how about helping them @ HOME not HERE ....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
U.S. Considering Refugee Status for Hondurans

Hoping to stem the recent surge of migrants at the Southwest border, the Obama administration is considering whether to allow hundreds of minors and young adults from Honduras into the United States without making the dangerous trek through Mexico, according to a draft of the proposal.

If approved, the plan would direct the government to screen thousands of children and youths in Honduras to see if they can enter the United States as refugees or on emergency humanitarian grounds. It would be the first American refugee effort in a nation reachable by land to the United States, the White House said, putting the violence in Honduras on the level of humanitarian emergencies in Haiti and Vietnam, where such programs have been conducted in the past amid war and major crises.

tommyjo

You and your ilk are just never happy are you?

So suppose the US did "help them @ home", what would you post? It's pretty easy to predict...you would be screaming about all "your" money being spent on foreign aid, how unnecessary and wasteful it is...why aren't we spending that money "here at home".

SamSpade

So suppose the US did "help them @ home", what would you post? It's pretty easy to predict...you would be screaming about all "your" money being spent on foreign aid, how unnecessary and wasteful it is...why aren't we spending that money "here at home".

Well we at least agree on that much. I don't see we're under any obligation to help them at home, either.

But I have thought many times in the past that we should broker SOME kind of deal with these nations to allow our companies access to their labor within their own country. Say, agribusiness. Mexico would be problematic because of their restrictions, but geez, if people come HERE for agricultural jobs, wouldn't spending money to build it in Mexico or Central America make more sense? Instead of having migrant workers come here to pick tomatoes, why don't we go there and let them pick them within their own borders?

stgislander

PREMO Member

When are you going to answer Tilted???

Hijinx

How about just stopping them at the border before they cross and not helping them at all?

SamSpade

How about just stopping them at the border before they cross and not helping them at all?

The idea is to somehow stop them from coming in the first place.

One way is actually simpler - we just step up our efforts at the border and deport those once found. And we make a better effort at keeping track of who is here.
I'm still amazed by the fact that when I was in Russia, I had to let them know every few days where I was or risk getting booted out.

We also make it clear that coming here is not a meal ticket - people are risking life and limb to come here not so much for our freedoms but for the freebies.
Once THAT is clear it isn't happening, the stream will die down.

But another is to find a way to improve matters in their country. People aren't streaming across the Canadian border - because they don't have to.
(Although I've often thought the best way to deal with illegals is to give them a free ride to the Canadian border).

Amused_despair

Why don't we help them at the border? Help them with a soothing massage fromn the electric fence across the border followed by a brief flight backwards about 50 feet like the girl in Jurassic Park?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

take the money ear marked for Egypt