Doctor ignores 'Gun Free Zone'. Stops mass shooting

Chris0nllyn

A troubled patient opened fire on a caseworker and psychiatrist in a small office at a unit of Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in Delaware County on Thursday afternoon, police said, leading the doctor to draw his own weapon and shoot the assailant.

The confrontation left the caseworker, 53-year-old Theresa Hunt, dead and the 52-year-old psychiatrist, a veteran doctor at the hospital whom sources identified as Lee Silverman, with a graze wound to the head. The patient, Richard Plotts, was in critical condition Thursday night from three gunshot wounds.

"There's a sign on the door that says you have to check your weapons at the front," she said. "But you can't expect every crazy person to do that."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140725_Reports__Three_shot_at_Darby_hospital.html

officeguy

Stupid Newspaper said:
It was not clear why Silverman, a doctor for nearly 25 years, was armed at the office.

Lol, you mean working with dangerous crazy people for 25 years is not reason enough ?

Ghee, looks like the murderer didn't read the sign at the door either.

JosephIV

I hope this doctor is honored as a hero. I feel sympathy for the friends and family of all involved.

Tech

Honestly.....I hope he gets charged.

So it points out how idiotic these laws are.

It's my understanding that no laws were broken. He violated a hospital policy, sorta like if he had parked in the wrong parking space.

Chris0nllyn

It's my understanding that no laws were broken. He violated a hospital policy, sorta like if he had parked in the wrong parking space.

That's true, but I wonder what would have happened if he said F that sign and someone opened his desk drawer or saw it without being attacked.

PeoplesElbow

Bet he gets fired, privileges taken away, whatever and his medical license reviewed.

officeguy

Bet he gets fired, privileges taken away, whatever and his medical license reviewed.

I doubt it. As stated, he violated policy of his employer. The worst thing that could happen would be disciplinary action by his employer, from a letter of correction in his file to a termination. I dont think the hospital will be quite that dumb.