In search of a good marine engine

hasbeenfishing

Greetings!
I am obviously a newbie, and a realize my question may be an old topic that's already been beat to death. If it is I apologize.
But I'm looking to buy a new marine engine.
To be more specific, I currently have an extremely dead Chevy 305 in a fiberglass Starcraft.
Instead of just replacing the engine with a new 305, I want to move up to a 350. I've always felt that this boat was under-powered,
especially when caught in heavy seas.
In my searching, I've been educated in a number of ways. Not the least of which is the number of "horse-traders"
there are out there. And because this process is a bit more complicated than originally anticipated, and because
there's also a great deal of mis-information out there, I thought I'd be smarter to turn to experienced, friendly boaters for advice and accurate
information. Hence this thread.
I guess I should begin by asking if I'm in the correct part of this forum?
If not, I apologize and I'll try right place to post.
Thank you
Jeff

Travisio

I have a FREE 302 ci ford engine still in a bay liner with an alpha one out drive. Only catch is you have to take the whole boat.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Are you just looking to buy a new engine that you will install yourself? Is what you have now a Mercruiser I/O?..or something else?

Humbled

I have a 1985 Mercruiser 260 (350 Chevy) with very low hours, in a 19' Cobalt ski boat/bowrider. Very nice Venture trailer. Has been winterized for three years. Probably needs exhaust manifolds & risers, fuel system cleanup. Been debating on putting it back in use, or selling it. Not much need for it now that kids are grown & out... $1,500. and its yours.