does the 4th A extend to Hotel Rooms ?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Does Your Fourth Amendment Right End When You Get a Hotel Room?

The staff at Motel 6, where the North Carolina couple was staying with their six dogs, had gotten complaints about noise, entered their room while they were out, found the dogs without food or water, considered them thin and thus concluded they were neglected.

“I said we would come and get our dogs and leave,” Pleins said. “As soon as I said that, they transferred me to a police officer who had already been in my room.”

The Pleins rushed to the motel, fearing their dogs would get taken away, but at one point, once they had time to think, Pleins said they wondered if the police even had the right to enter their room without a warrant. The situation also led to the authorities finding and confiscating their firearm.

Hijinx

Six dogs in a motel room? I bet that smelled special.

Gets a little ticklish. The cops did not go in until the staff did and the staff obviously let the cops in.
Not sure how that affects the 4th. Amendment , but it probably means a Civil suit against the Motel 6.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
it is Motel Six Property, and I would imagine as such, the management reserves the right to enter in an 'emergency' or other incident

According to Motel 6′s policy, “service animals and well-behaved pets” are allowed.

.... and polciy seems to be dogs are not to be left alone, so barking dog + no answer at the door = reason to go in ...

Pleins said she wanted to be transparent and told the officer she did have a firearm in the room. At this point, Pleins said the officers handcuffed her and her husband, rushed into the room and retrieved the weapon. After running a check, they found it unregistered.

“In North Carolina where we actually live it’s not required to register weapons. Nor is it required in Colorado, where my husband bought it at a pawn shop, to register weapons,” Pleins said.

Eventually, animal control showed up, assessed the state of the animals and ended up telling the Pleins they seemed little “but definitely nothing to be screaming about,” she recalled.

police and management response, lacking in critical thinking ..... the actions involving the Firearm :cds: OMG there is a gun

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They left six dogs alone in a motel room. Strap them to the chair. :yay:

And no, they have no 4A rights in a motel - especially when they've broken the rules. Not to mention we're only getting the couple's side of the story, so who knows what the truth is.

Tech

Yes there is 4A rights for a motel because you have a lease for the room, may be for one day but it's a lease. If no 4A existed for the motel would 4A exist for apartment/house renters?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If no 4A existed for the motel would 4A exist for apartment/house renters?

If the tenant is suspected of illegal doings or in the event of emergency, the property owner has a right to enter the premises. Most rental agreements include a reasonable inspection clause.

How do you think the maids get access to the hotel rooms? They don't ask permission first before they go in to clean and replenish. They knock and say, "Housekeeping," then you have about 15 seconds to open the door before they come on in. That aside, the story doesn't say that their room was searched and the dogs weren't seized, just the illegal firearm that these people declared themselves.

I don't expect the two lame brains in the story to understand Constitutional rights, but Glenn Beck surely does and his site posted this ignorant story anyway.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
If the tenant is suspected of illegal doings or in the event of emergency, the property owner has a right to enter the premises. Most rental agreements include a reasonable inspection clause.

Everything you say is true, but that doesn't delete 4th amendment rights.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Everything you say is true, but that doesn't delete 4th amendment rights.

I'm saying that it does not apply in this situation. To wit:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,[a] against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

There was no search and the only seizure was the illegal gun, which would not be considered unreasonable since it was presented by the owner.

Hijinx

it is Motel Six Property, and I would imagine as such, the management reserves the right to enter in an 'emergency' or other incident

.... and polciy seems to be dogs are not to be left alone, so barking dog + no answer at the door = reason to go in ...

police and management response, lacking in critical thinking ..... the actions involving the Firearm :cds: OMG there is a gun

Some dieting nuts think their pet dog should stay thin too.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
I'm saying that it does not apply in this situation. To wit:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,[a] against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

There was no search and the only seizure was the illegal gun, which would not be considered unreasonable since it was presented by the owner.

Gotchya, my mistake.