White House: Republicans May Push to Impeach Obama If They

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
White House: Republicans May Push to Impeach Obama If They Get the Chance

The notion of impeaching President Barack Obama got substantial attention Friday from two White House officials, who both said senior Republicans wanted to see it happen. But they couldn’t name any senior Republicans when pressed.

[clip]

Asked about the comment, Earnest said, “There are senior members of the Republican Party, or prominent voices in the Republican Party who are calling for exactly that.”

[clip]

Acosta followed, “Is anyone in the Republican leadership talking about that?” He added: “There’s been a lot of fundraising emails with the word impeachment in them. This seems an awful lot like a fundraising ploy, not a real thing. You don’t really think the president will be impeached do you?”

Earnest again stuck to the same point without being specific.

“I think there are some Republicans, including some Republicans who are running for office hoping they can get into office so they can impeach the president,” Earnest said. “That is apparently a view they have to hold because it is a view that they express publicly.”

sounds like the White House is trying to rally the troops ........ :lol:

Vince

sounds like the White House is trying to rally the troops ........ :lol:
A day late and a dollar short. They should have tried this a few years ago, but I doubt anything will come of it....if they do anything at all.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A day late and a dollar short. They should have tried this a few years ago, but I doubt anything will come of it....if they do anything at all.

I don't think the current leadership has the balls to impeach obama, and IMHO since this is coming out of the WH - this is a DOG Whistle for the Progressives across the country - a rallying cry, to the walls, the evil GOP wants to Impeach Our DEAR Leader

Rommey

Please go ahead and do it ,go ahead and guarantee another republican defeat .
I generally don't agree with you often, but on this point I think you could be correct. The Senate will have 23 Democrats, 2 independents who caucus with Democrats, and 8 Republicans up for election in 2018 but only 4-5 of those seats are going to be competitive. So if the Republicans need to take any of those seats, it will be much harder if impeachment proceedings go forward.

SamSpade

I don't believe they'll do it. If we learn anything about impeachment from the last time, it's that people will vote party line no matter what the case is. Byrd made that clear - he felt that Clinton's crimes merited removal from office, but would not vote to do so because he thought "it wouldn't be good for the country".

They don't have the votes, and politically, LOSING an impeachment battle makes it look - to the larger portion of the voting public - that it was all hot air and usually hurts the party raising the impeachment.
They can't win, and will likely lose the Senate. Why bother?

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
"An impeachable offense is whatever a majority of the House of Representatives considers it to be at a given moment in history."

Gerald Ford

But partisan circle jerks are fun!