Marlow Heights 60s and 70s Back to School Dance, Sept 27

cissp

Cyber Cop
The 2014 Marlow Heights 60s and 70s Back to School Dance will be held September 27, 2014, 5:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., at Marlboro Moose Lodge 1856, 15103 Marlboro Pike, Upper Marlboro, Maryland. There will be Peters jackets raffled off, door prizes, contests, 50/50 raffle, and the wheel. All the great songs from the 60s and 70s. There will also be web site t-shirts, mugs, and key fobs for sale, as well as several Hot Shoppes cookbook. Tickets are $25 per person, which can be ordered here:

http://marlowheights60sand70s.com/MHSSTickets.html

I'm also including free finger foods/snacks, as well as a, "Build Your Own", Mighty Mo/Royal Burger and Barn Buster bar (you buy the burger, I throw in the secret sauces for free). Also of note, the Potomac Class of '74 and '69 will be celebrating their 40 and 45 year reunions, respectively, at the dance. But this isn't just about Potomac, so if your school is having a reunion, too, please contact me so that I can make accommodations for your group. Please pass the word. If you grew up in PG County during the 60s or 70s, this is THE place to be.

Keep the memories alive,

Chuck Fraley
www.marlowheights60sand70s.com
Bringing you fun memories of Marlow Heights and vicinity of the 60s and 70s!

cissp

Cyber Cop
I'm also thinking about offering Pappy Parker fried chicken, if I get enough interest. Also, the grand prize will be a $250 gift card. You must be present to win.

cissp

Cyber Cop
The 2014 Marlow Heights 60s and 70s Back to School Dance will be held September 27, 2014, 5:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., at Marlboro Moose Lodge 1856, 15103 Marlboro Pike, Upper Marlboro, Maryland. There will be Peters jackets raffled off, door prizes, contests, 50/50 raffle, and the wheel. All the great songs from the 60s and 70s. There will also be web site t-shirts, mugs, and key fobs for sale, as well as several Hot Shoppes cookbook. Tickets are $25 per person, which can be ordered here:

I'm also including free finger foods/snacks, as well as a, "Build Your Own", Mighty Mo/Royal Burger and Barn Buster bar (you buy the burger, I throw in the secret sauces for free). Also of note, the Potomac Class of '74 and '69 will be celebrating their 40 and 45 year reunions, respectively, at the dance. But this isn't just about Potomac, so if your school is having a reunion, too, please contact me so that I can make accommodations for your group. Please pass the word. If you grew up in PG County during the 60s or 70s, this is THE place to be.

Keep the memories alive,

Chuck Fraley
www.marlowheights60sand70s.com
Bringing you fun memories of Marlow Heights and vicinity of the 60s and 70s!

Folks, we're less than two months away from the dance. Please go to the link above to purchase your tickets in advance.

cissp

Cyber Cop
We're less than four weeks away from the dance. Please follow the link below to buy your tickets:

There will be lots of door prizes and raffles, including Peters jackets, Potomac yearbooks, and Pappy Parker glass. Grand prize is a $250 gift card, but you must be present during the drawing to win.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm also thinking about offering Pappy Parker fried chicken, if I get enough interest. Also, the grand prize will be a $250 gift card. You must be present to win.

do you have a time machine, or did you steal the recipe ?

cissp

Cyber Cop
do you have a time machine, or did you steal the recipe ?

Marriott owned quite a few other restaurants at one time, to include Bob's Big Boy and Roy Rogers, both of which served Pappy Parker fried chicken. Bob's did/still does, sell Pappy Parker fried chicken in a specific store in California. Roy Rogers sold fried chicken (still does) but not identified as Pappy Parker. But it's the same recipe.

cissp

Cyber Cop
Hijinx, I host four get togethers a year at Steak in a Sack, with the next one on September 13, 1-4 p.m. Why don't you join us and have the real deal? As for the recipe, good luck, because the Khalid family won't reveal that to anyone.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Marriott owned quite a few other restaurants at one time, to include Bob's Big Boy and Roy Rogers, both of which served Pappy Parker fried chicken. Bob's did/still does, sell Pappy Parker fried chicken in a specific store in California. Roy Rogers sold fried chicken (still does) but not identified as Pappy Parker. But it's the same recipe.

Hmm I grew up on Roy's ... mom took me to the one in Oxon Hill all the time, now it is an Enterprise car rental office

I remember Pappy Parkers .... I never made the connection to Roys

:yay:

cissp

Cyber Cop
that is near my house in Ft Washington ...

That Steak in a Sack is/was run by a cousin of the original owner, Zach Khalid. He was allowed to open his own restaurant with the same name, but the similarity ends there. There is only one true and original Steak in a Sack, and that's the one in the Marlow Heights Shopping Center, and has been there since 1962.

IggyPop

SMIB
That Steak in a Sack is/was run by a cousin of the original owner, Zach Khalid. He was allowed to open his own restaurant with the same name, but the similarity ends there. There is only one true and original Steak in a Sack, and that's the one in the Marlow Heights Shopping Center, and has been there since 1962.

I grew up in Fort Washington in the 80's and had no idea that they were different owners. I have fond memories of eating there just about every week.

I had the "steak in the sack" one time and wasn't really impressed. From what I recall, it was steak or beef in a large piece of pita bread. It didn't have much flavor and I never ordered it again.

Based on this thread, I guess I'm going to have to take a trip to the REAL location in Marlow Heights and try it again. It is too bad that I can't also grab a cassette tape from Waxie Maxie's and a fried chicken dinner from Hot Shoppes.

I miss the good ol' days!

cissp

Cyber Cop
I grew up in Fort Washington in the 80's and had no idea that they were different owners. I have fond memories of eating there just about every week.

I had the "steak in the sack" one time and wasn't really impressed. From what I recall, it was steak or beef in a large piece of pita bread. It didn't have much flavor and I never ordered it again.

Based on this thread, I guess I'm going to have to take a trip to the REAL location in Marlow Heights and try it again. It is too bad that I can't also grab a cassette tape from Waxie Maxie's and a fried chicken dinner from Hot Shoppes.

I miss the good ol' days!

Yes, come to Steak in a Sack on September 13, from 1-4 p.m., as that's when I'll be hosting one of my get togethers there, and you can have the real thing. The signature Steak in a Sack is made with thinly sliced Rib Eye, marinated and grilled, served with pita bread. Goes well with a side order of home fries.

For the Marriott Hot Shoppes cravings that you have, come to my Marlow Heights 60s and 70s Back to School Dance on September 27, 5:30-11:30 p.m., at the Upper Marlboro Moose Lodge. We'll feature a, "Build Your Own", Mighty Mo/Royal Burger, as well as, "Pappy Parker" fried chicken.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
You should have it at the Marlow Heights Community Center Chuck. It would be more authentic in the old neighborhood and maybe Steak in a Sack would cater it being that close.:yay:

cissp

Cyber Cop
You should have it at the Marlow Heights Community Center Chuck. It would be more authentic in the old neighborhood and maybe Steak in a Sack would cater it being that close.:yay:

I've actually considered this in the past, not only as a venue for my annual Back to School dances, but as a gathering place instead of going to Steak in a Sack. To be candid with you, I would get too much push back on having my dance at the Rec Center. Having something such as the gatherings I do at Steak in a Sack, is one thing, because it is in the middle of the day in a pretty busy retail establishment (with their own police force). But at night it's a different story, and many people would be concerned if not for their personal safety, then having their vehicle stolen or broken into. On top of that, there are people out there who are still very, very bitter about the effects of busing and feeling that their neighborhoods were, "taken over", so that to this day they refuse to come back to the area. Thanks for the suggestion.

cissp

Cyber Cop
The dance is only two days away, and remember, this is for anyone that grew up in basically southern/central PG County at some point during the 1960s or 1970s. This means it is NOT just Marlow Heights, and NOT just people who attended Potomac Senior High. We have some folks who actually began school in the 50s, and some that graduated during the early 80s. So come one, come all! There are PLENTY of tickets available at the door. And where else are you going to get an authentic tasting Mighty Mo/Royal Burger recreation, plus the cheapest around? The Marlow Heights 60s and 70s Back to School Dance! And don't forget, the grand door prize is a $250 gift card (must be present during drawing to win).