Israel, not Hamas, is the serial truce-breaker

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Source.

You would be forgiven for thinking that the latest Israeli offensive on the Gaza strip is an unfortunate necessity for the Zionist state; that Hamas holds full responsibility for the dead and the wounded; and that Israel is merely "responding" to Palestinian aggression, simply defending itself with no interest in escalating the conflict.

You would be forgiven because, although it is an inaccurate and biased narrative, it is the only narrative you will hear in the mainstream media.

Yousef Munayyer, Executive Director of the Jerusalem Fund, a non-profit organisation based in Washington, DC, has explained why this is not the only narrative by examining data about all the ceasefire violations on either side since the last Egyptian-brokered deal agreed by Israel and Hamas on 21 November 2012, which brought to an end Israel's so-called "Operation Pillar of Defence".

The terms of the agreement included "ending all hostilities by Israelis and Palestinians, and facilitating the freedom of movement and transfer of goods within Gaza." Within 24 hours, Israel explicitly violated the conditions of the ceasefire when its armed forces shot dead a Palestinian man east of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip; 19 others were wounded in the incident.

Meanwhile, Israel's promise to facilitate freedom of movement and the transfer of goods within Gaza has been reneged upon continuously since the signing of the truce. This follows a familiar pattern in which a previous ceasefire agreement, brokered by Egypt in 2008, was ended by Israel's extrajudicial assassinations of Palestinians.

Below is a graph, provided by the Jerusalem Fund, detailing the dynamics of fire over a 54-week period following the last ceasefire. All numbers are taken from UN OCHA. From a quick look at the data on weekly violations throughout the year following the 2012 ceasefire, we can see that Palestinian rocket fire has been infrequent and isolated, almost always occurring "after successive instances of Israeli ceasefire violations."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You would be forgiven for thinking that Israel is merely "responding" to Palestinian aggression, simply defending itself with no interest in escalating the conflict.[/I]

Inorite? Just ignore the assault tunnels and the thousands of Iranian rockets that they fire. Then you could be forgiven. :killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh please. Hamas is getting its ass kicked, so of course they want a cease fire. "Wait! Time out! Time out!" Then they regroup and come back. You'll note that the Palestinians never honor any cease fire or de-escalation.

BigBlue

as was said before Israelites use missiles to save it's people , Hamas use it's people to save it's missiles .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
NH,

Serious question; I have long assumed you get paid to do this and you haven't been around for awhile. I am curious why you're back at work? What precipitated it?

mamatutu

mama to two
NH,

Serious question; I have long assumed you get paid to do this and you haven't been around for awhile. I am curious why you're back at work? What precipitated it?

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe he was golfing with our illustrious leader.

mamatutu

mama to two
Sorry, mamatutu, I'm not to in to using those facey things yet. Just haven't ever thought about using them.
Maybe I should start though? :howdy:

I am not saying you have to use smilies, but your post was rather radical. So, I was wondering if you were just kidding or do you really have a hatred of Jews? That's all. :howdy:

FollowTheMoney

Yes I know. No I do not have a hatred of Jews. What I don't like is that just because something was written in a book, by man, thousands of years ago,
saying that a certain group has a promised land, and that it's theirs and theirs alone, doesn't mean that they can kill indiscriminately, or to try and take
it when it is all ready occupied.
When I use, "Those God Damned Jews," think about it, wouldn't God damn them for doing what they are doing to innocent civilians in his name?
History records that Palestine was in those lands long before the "Jew". And somehow they think that they have a claim in God's name? Yeah right.
Genocide, weather done by Nazis or Jews is still genocide. But since it's the Jews doing to the Palestinians, it's ok?

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
I am not saying you have to use smilies, but your post was rather radical. So, I was wondering if you were just kidding or do you really have a hatred of Jews? That's all. :howdy:

Are those the only two options? Kidding or Jew hater? Is that as broad as your mind is?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes I know. No I do not have a hatred of Jews. What I don't like is that just because something was written in a book, by man, thousands of years ago,
saying that a certain group has a promised land, and that it's theirs and theirs alone, doesn't mean that they can kill indiscriminately, or to try and take
When I use, "Those God Damned Jews," think about it, wouldn't God damn them for doing what they are doing to innocent civilians in his name?
History records that Palestine was in those lands long before the "Jew". And somehow they think that they have a claim in God's name? Yeah right.
Genocide, weather done by Nazis or Jews is still genocide. But since it's the Jews doing to the Palestinians, it's ok?

How in the flying hell is there ANY comparison in any sort of context between Israel and Nazi Germany???????????????

Auschwitz wasn't controlled on one side by Jews keeping the rest of the Jews and other unfortunates in. It was controlled, totally, by Germany. Gaza, and few know this and fewer still seem to care, is controlled on one side by fellow Arabs; Egypt. over the years, the Palestinian refugee camps had even more Arab control of them, making them, ensuring them to be, squalid, festering hell holes. There is plenty of criticism due to Israel but NONE of it can remotely be compared to mass murder. Not one bit of it.

Beta

Smile!
You would be forgiven for thinking
You'll be forgiven for your naive views as well. You clearly don't understand how life can be in war situations.

The terms of the agreement included "ending all hostilities by Israelis and Palestinians, and facilitating the freedom of movement and transfer of goods within Gaza." Within 24 hours, Israel explicitly violated the conditions of the ceasefire when its armed forces shot dead a Palestinian man east of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip; 19 others were wounded in the incident.
Ending all hostilities means not building tunnels that get people into Israel for attacks, and not setting up a bunch of missiles ready to fire non-stop the second they decide they have a good offensive tactic.

"Freedom of movement and transfer of goods" usually gets taken advantage of, and they smuggle weapons across. They're taking advantage of any and all ceasefires. Every time Israel limits this, it's because they have good reason to search, and guess what? They usually find something, which is why they keep having to search! Hamas (you know, that terrorist organization running Gaza) does this to themselves.

Out of curiosity, do you know why the Palestinian man was shot dead? It seems interesting that 19 people were injured and one was killed, no? It doesn't sound like Israeli troops walked over there and started shooting people up. It sounds more like there was a situation that we obviously know nothing about. Perhaps the soldier shot at someone who was aiming a gun at his head. Do you know? Didn't think so.

From a quick look at the data on weekly violations throughout the year following the 2012 ceasefire, we can see that Palestinian rocket fire has been infrequent and isolated, almost always occurring "after successive instances of Israeli ceasefire violations."
Ok. So Israel pulls over a convoy carrying supplies to Gaza and does a search. Weapons may or may not be found as part of the "peaceful" goods exchange. Gaza fires rockets at Israel in retaliation.

Yes, this seems reasonable. :rolleyes:

So can you explain when the "Jews" invaded and took over? Was it when the British empire gave them half of Palestine when the Brits pulled out? Was it when they were attacked in any number of offenses and retaliated swiftly to claim more land as a defensive posture? Or was it when they gave back some of that land because they were trying to play friendly and help Palestinians establish a country for the first time in modern history? Or did you forget that the eastern part of Palestine was actually part of Jordan, and the western part (Gaza) was Egypt? :rolleyes:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So can you explain when the "Jews" invaded and took over? Was it when the British empire gave them half of Palestine when the Brits pulled out? Was it when they were attacked in any number of offenses and retaliated swiftly to claim more land as a defensive posture? Or was it when they gave back some of that land because they were trying to play friendly and help Palestinians establish a country for the first time in modern history? Or did you forget that the eastern part of Palestine was actually part of Jordan, and the western part (Gaza) was Egypt? :rolleyes:

That whole line of reasoning is a red herring. We may as well debate giving back North America to the American Indian, assuming we can establish who was actually here first and not just start giving things to someone who took it from someone else.

Israel exists. Fact. End of story. They want it? Come and take it. The moment Arabs and Muslims say "We will live in peace with Israel" all the bloodshed ends. If not, holy war goes on and on and on.

Beta

Smile!
That whole line of reasoning is a red herring. We may as well debate giving back North America to the American Indian, assuming we can establish who was actually here first and not just start giving things to someone who took it from someone else.

Israel exists. Fact. End of story. They want it? Come and take it. The moment Arabs and Muslims say "We will live in peace with Israel" all the bloodshed ends. If not, holy war goes on and on and on.

They always try to come and take it, too. That's exactly what Hamas is doing now. You're right -- the bloodshed ends the second they stop attacking Israel once and for all. Israel has no choice but to defend itself. Until Hamas can demonstrate that it's willing to be peaceful, Israel has to continue what it's doing.

nhboy and FollowTheMoney live in ignorance. Simple as that.

SamSpade

Dennis Prager puts it simply in this video. Normally, if this had been Hannity or O'Reilly, I'd think "well maybe" but Dennis is no newcomer to the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EDW88CBo-8