1 in 3 U.S. adults have 'debt in collections'

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's $385 billion. We could do a TARP like thing for we, the people, pay it all off, raise interest rates, make it harder to get new credit (like, uh, the old rules), the folks owed get their money AND all the payments people are trying to make can go to new business instead of old.

We are LONG past the time to start writing all this crap off, student debt, mortgages, consumer, and resetting OUR economy and getting this mess turned around.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
That's $385 billion. We could do a TARP like thing for we, the people, pay it all off, raise interest rates, make it harder to get new credit (like, uh, the old rules), the folks owed get their money AND all the payments people are trying to make can go to new business instead of old.

We are LONG past the time to start writing all this crap off, student debt, mortgages, consumer, and resetting OUR economy and getting this mess turned around.

Why should people who don't pay their debts get a break? What about all the folks that stay current with their debt obligations?

How about people don't take on debts that they can't pay. Or better yet just go back to paying cash.

We reward the wrong behaviors in this country today. Don't make your mortgage payment, no problem. Uncle Sugar will bail you out. Went to college and got a useless liberal arts degree and went thousands in debt. No problem, we'll just wipe that debt out and call it even.

Tech

Why should people who don't pay their debts get a break? What about all the folks that stay current with their debt obligations?

How about people don't take on debts that they can't pay. Or better yet just go back to paying cash.

We reward the wrong behaviors in this country today. Don't make your mortgage payment, no problem. Uncle Sugar will bail you out. Went to college and got a useless liberal arts degree and went thousands in debt. No problem, we'll just wipe that debt out and call it even.

Yep that.
Sent daughter to get her degree, graduated without a dime of student debt. Credit debts kept low. Pay bills on time. Guess if you play by the rules you lose.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Yep that.
Sent daughter to get her degree, graduated without a dime of student debt. Credit debts kept low. Pay bills on time. Guess if you play by the rules you lose.

I and mine have lost so bad by playing by the rules that we are just plain debt-free, have been for a while, and plan to continue to be in that loser status. Oh, well........

SamSpade

Why should people who don't pay their debts get a break?

Indeed. Why should ANYONE get a break from Uncle Sam, when others don't?

Only slight sarcasm here - in many ways, especially at the corporate level, lots of people and entities get breaks from Uncle Sam, when others who don't have the right connections have to pay. In fact, I see a LOT more unfairness in dollars and cents there, than if the government bailed out everyone else individual debt.

However, I can see how a case could be made that in order to get the economy moving in the right direction, you've got to get consumers consuming, instead of paying financial institutions interest.

I suppose one way would be to allow people to reduce tax liability against their debt with the proviso that it be forwarded in totem to the institution holding your debt.
I realize it's giving ne'er-do-wells a bonus for their bad behavior, but you still need their input to grow the economy. Having them circle the drain forever because they got themselves into it may be fair, but it really doesn't help. Something could be done.

Tech

Didn't they get the economy moving when they spent the money that wasn't theirs?

nutz

This report doesn't seem to indicate "real debt" vs. "credit bureau debt". Almost anyone can report you to the credit bureau(s) as being delinquent (doctor, dentist, lawyer, mechanic, etc.) with 0 proof of the debt. It then becomes your burden to have it removed from the file.

“What Are Our Numbers Based On?
We use 2013 credit bureau data from TransUnion to measure how many Americans are reported as at least 30 days late on a non-mortgage bill payment often called having debt past due. We also examine how many Americans have debt reported as in collections and the amount of this debt. These credit bureau data describe people with credit files and do not represent the roughly 22 million US adults (9 percent of the population) with no credit file. Because adults without a credit file are more likely to be financially disadvantaged, our data underrepresent low -income consumers. Our analyses also exclude debts such as loans from friends or family, or loans outside the financial mainstream, such as payday or pawnshop loans. Our data do, however, include people who have any type of information reported to the credit bureau, even if it is only a report of debt in collections.”

http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/413191-Delinquent-Debt-in-America.pdf

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Well, for one, we've bailed out millionaires and everyone with a 401k as well as foreign governments and banks.
For two, we've bailed out the UAW.
For three, we've bailed out teachers and other government workers.
Right now, we're requiring some of us to buy a product while favored others get a pass.

And we've done it by taking the very money out of the economy that could have been earned to make those payments.

Would you sit there and watch your neighbors house burn if they caused it? Then, wait until it burned yours?
Did you ever wonder why PMI didn't cover all those mortgages?
If someone had a flat in the middle of the road or were broke down because they were negligent, would you just sit in the traffic jam or maybe, at some point, help them out if only to help yourself?

The world has lots of responsible people who, through no fault of their own, lose jobs, or get sick. Or have bad luck. Heck with them?
The world has lots of irresponsible people who make out all the time off of good people.
The world has lots of people in between.

In the mean time, the enormous debt out there is simply going into the banks servicing old business.
In the mean time, any new activity folks might spend that on, goes begging.

Sometimes, people are in situations, their own doings, someone elses fault, half and half, and it simply makes sense to declare bankruptcy to get rid of a debt you simply can't ever pay. Some times, it's better to help someone start over than to just slip under the waves, giving up because there is no hope.

My argument isn't for people like me who lost a house or have taken on more than they can handle as the economy soured. My argument is, if you think about it, for the betterment of everyone, including those wonderful, responsible souls who never miss a payment or only pay cash and stay within their nice little box at all times, risking little, if anything, and expecting less. People who very much benefited from when times were good for everybody.

Maybe the 'good' people's reward is that houses in their neighborhoods stop falling into foreclosure. Maybe their reward is a raise as the economy actually recovers. Maybe their sterling credit report means lower rights while us ne'er do wells have to pay higher rates. Maybe their reward is in a general recovery that stops the general decline in what is a country that belongs to us all.

Maybe we just do it because it is where the help is needed.

Or, we just keep doing what we're doing and hope for different results.

nobody really

I need a nap
I had a former (once you hear this, you'll know why she is a "former" friend) friend who ran up debt in the $110K range, knowing full well she couldn't/wouldn't pay it back. She filed for bankruptcy, kept her home, two rentals, the boat/rv/motorcycle/two jet skis she bought on her line of credit/credit cards. And, her dumbass husband never took taxes out of his paycheck. Why? well, when they had a huge tax bill at the end of the year, they just used their line of credit. And all her loans were discharged. At which point she bought a $50K truck to haul her rv/boat. what is wrong with the system?

i pay my bills on time, have no debt except my house. people like her are turds.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'm not surprised. In part many people who otherwise would never be in collections end up there due to medical providers who's 30+ day billing goes automatically to a collections department. Every time my orthopedic dr's office doesn't get an insurance payment in a timely manner my 30+ day account gets referred to collections immediately - really? So I say I don't owe that when I get the call from the collections person, then I call my dr's office to see what's going on. They fix it and yet I still get calls from the collections folks and I say call the dr's office like I did sheesh.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I had a former (once you hear this, you'll know why she is a "former" friend) friend who ran up debt in the $110K range, knowing full well she couldn't/wouldn't pay it back. She filed for bankruptcy, kept her home, two rentals, the boat/rv/motorcycle/two jet skis she bought on her line of credit/credit cards. And, her dumbass husband never took taxes out of his paycheck. Why? well, when they had a huge tax bill at the end of the year, they just used their line of credit. And all her loans were discharged. At which point she bought a $50K truck to haul her rv/boat. what is wrong with the system?

i pay my bills on time, have no debt except my house. people like her are turds.

How long ago was this? I have heard more recently about people waiting a long time to get a judge to approve then for a bankruptcy (sometimes ordering them to sell items off first) and some people get turned DOWN. I never even knew they could say NO. The "system" is tired of seeing people get away with that I guess.

nobody really

I need a nap
How long ago was this? I have heard more recently about people waiting a long time to get a judge to approve then for a bankruptcy (sometimes ordering them to sell items off first) and some people get turned DOWN. I never even knew they could say NO. The "system" is tired of seeing people get away with that I guess.

it was maybe 2010? there is a website, you can get information on bankruptcy files (they black out account numbers and ssn). 10 cents a page. all you need is the court where they filed (usually somd is greenbelt), and their first and last name. Kinda like md judiciary case search. http://www.pacer.gov/ All public information.

nobody really

I need a nap

btw, this former friend of mine did try to get her new truck discharged, and was turned down, so she is stuck with that payment. that took some balls.

BOP

An estimated 1 in 3 adults with a credit history -- or 77 million people -- are so far behind on some of their debt payments that their account has been put "in collections."

The debt in collections ranged from as little as $25 to a whopping $125,000. But the average amount owed was $5,200.

Geographically, no area of the country is untouched.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/29/pf/debt-collections/index.html?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_t2

Does that include the newest thing that companies are doing, which is to skip the attempt to collect debts and sending it immediately to a collection agency?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Does that include the newest thing that companies are doing, which is to skip the attempt to collect debts and sending it immediately to a collection agency?

That's what my dr's office does, and yes I bet it does count that. Verizon is on my credit report and I have had calls from a collection agency regularly for the past 4 years despite the problem being theirs, they refuse to undo it. It was awful trying to get them to correct the problem because they refused to acknowledge that there even was a problem. So now I have a bad mark on my credit report and because they are a big bully company about billing issues, they don't have to correct it. I refuse to pay them because I don't owe that money to them, period. They THINK I will pay up to keep my credit clean, ain't happening. The principle of the thing is they billed me for service I didn't have. It started from talking to a sales person who did not undo the package deal once we determined that DSL wasn't available.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Or, we just keep doing what we're doing and hope for different results.

How about you don't take on more debt than you can handle. Better yet go back to paying cash. When you incur a loan the signature part signifies that you intend to pay back both the principal and interest. Unless you are borrowing from a Corleone, the interest is at the going rate for your credit score.

And while we are at it, nobody gets a bailout. Let the market prevail. You can't make your business financially viable, then close it down and go do something else.

BigBlue

Well, for one, we've bailed out millionaires and everyone with a 401k as well as foreign governments and banks.
For two, we've bailed out the UAW.
For three, we've bailed out teachers and other government workers.
Right now, we're requiring some of us to buy a product while favored others get a pass.

The goverment help keep the country up and running ,it saved "AMERICAN Companies,it saved "AMERICAN Banks ,and it "SAVED AMERICAN JOBS",don't like it you must be a communist .

Hijinx

chelsea_clinton-300x3006.jpg I hate to bring this up but Chelsea Clinton's father in Law cheated investors out of more than 10 million dollars.
He is still on probation and still owes 9.4 million dollars in restitution.

Meanwhile Chelsea and her nut-job husband have bought a Condo worth 10.5 million.
Chelsea's wedding cost around 3 million dollars from her poor broke mom and dad.

So while some are in debt, others are too and still living high off the hog.

Last edited:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
According to the IRS if a debt is canceled, forgiven or discharged, you must include the canceled amount in your gross income and pay taxes on that “income”. Creditors who forgive $600 or more are required to file Form 1099-C with the IRS, making that debt income for the consumer unless you qualify for an exclusion or exception (ie: insolvency or Title 11 bankruptcy etc).

As a result of new reporting requirements under the 'Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act' (thank you Mr. President for sacrificing the many for the few), there was a huge increase in cancellation of debt reporting last year, which resulted in millions of 1099-C forms being sent out to both the IRS and the taxpayer, many of which were for decades old debt that was discharged and that they never thought they would hear about again. It also resulted in a ton of 'zombie' debts which may or may not even belong to that consumer - but IRS doesn't care...they side with a creditor or collection agency and swoop in to take their pound of flesh...and getting those 1099-C forms corrected is extremely difficult and maybe even impossible if you don't have any documentation for what IS correct, not to mention that much of the 'forgiven debt' is the result of late fees, interest and penalty charges plopped on by the creditor or collection agency.

Additionally, there isn't anything that requires a creditor to send the 1099-C to the consumer, so even if you don’t get a Form 1099-C from a creditor, the creditor may very well have submitted one to the IRS and you have no way of knowing until you get slapped with the bill or audit notice from IRS because you didn't list the income on your tax return.

Soooo...those who went through a Ch 13 or 7 bankruptcy or who settled any credit card debt or other charge off don't think you've gotten away scott free ... watch out for a 1099-C and big fat tax bill.

And if you're considering letting charged off debt just float away after falling off your credit report after 7 years or settling a charged off account for less than what is owed...you might be better served to pay it in full because creditors are also required to submit a 1099-C for debt that hasn't had a serious collection attempt for 36+ months. It will still be considered income.

Last edited: