You all are lucky that I'm not your First Lady

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I tend toward hippie granola anyway but watching Frontier House has made me really think about the food we use to sustain ourselves. When you kill a pig yourself, you don't want to waste that life. Chances are you've become attached to it in some affectionate form, or at least recognize it as a living creature. So when you kill it for food, you want to respect that by using it to its fullest capabilities. Chickens, you don't want to turn them into a McNugget - you want to taste that bird and savor its meat. Corn and other crops, you don't want to waste the effort it took to plant them, water and feed them, then harvest them by turning that product into snack chips. When you work hard for your food, you don't want to disrespect that effort by turning it into meaningless crap.

So if I were Michelle Obama, I'd go one better and preach about cooking your own meals from fresh ingredients instead of frozen dinners in the microwave; I'd encourage schools to organize field trips to farms so kids can see where their food comes from and get to know the animals that will eventually end up in their bellies; have them actually work a garden and have them make homemade ketchup from tomatoes they've grown. I think this is especially important for inner city kids who would otherwise never have the opportunity to see a different side of life. Maybe it would inspire them toward a different destiny, at least give them something to think about. Help them acquire new skills and the self-confidence that goes along with that. It's pretty powerful to be able to feed yourself with food you personally have grown.

I think this is a terrific use of taxpayer bucks, much better than sending it over to some third-world #### hole or building more tenement housing.

And if any Republican fatties tried to get in my way, I'd have them beheaded. :evil:

Vince

I tend toward hippie granola anyway but watching Frontier House has made me really think about the food we use to sustain ourselves. When you kill a pig yourself, you don't want to waste that life. Chances are you've become attached to it in some affectionate form, or at least recognize it as a living creature. So when you kill it for food, you want to respect that by using it to its fullest capabilities. Chickens, you don't want to turn them into a McNugget - you want to taste that bird and savor its meat. Corn and other crops, you don't want to waste the effort it took to plant them, water and feed them, then harvest them by turning that product into snack chips. When you work hard for your food, you don't want to disrespect that effort by turning it into meaningless crap.

So if I were Michelle Obama, I'd go one better and preach about cooking your own meals from fresh ingredients instead of frozen dinners in the microwave; I'd encourage schools to organize field trips to farms so kids can see where their food comes from and get to know the animals that will eventually end up in their bellies; have them actually work a garden and have them make homemade ketchup from tomatoes they've grown. I think this is especially important for inner city kids who would otherwise never have the opportunity to see a different side of life. Maybe it would inspire them toward a different destiny, at least give them something to think about. Help them acquire new skills and the self-confidence that goes along with that. It's pretty powerful to be able to feed yourself with food you personally have grown.

I think this is a terrific use of taxpayer bucks, much better than sending it over to some third-world #### hole or building more tenement housing.

And if any Republican fatties tried to get in my way, I'd have them beheaded. :evil:
Way back in the old days when my grandfather would butcher a hog, they used just about every part of it.....even the brains. Brains and eggs anyone? My Dad loved that. Even the blood was used to make blood pudding.

Amused_despair

Most places won't allow you to have any kind of farm animal in your neighborhood, not even chickens, so forget about a pig. Plus the HOAs go into a tizzy if you plant any crops in your front yard.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Way back in the old days when my grandfather would butcher a hog, they used just about every part of it.....even the brains. Brains and eggs anyone? My Dad loved that. Even the blood was used to make blood pudding.

They were like that on my grandfather's farm, too. Everything but the oink.

Misfit

Lawful neutral

:bawl:

GW8345

Not White House Approved

And what is your position on smoking, what would you do about that?

Funny how you advocate health eating but continue to do other bad habits, and then expect everyone to follow your lead on just one aspect of your life while ignoring all the others.

Tell you what, you live your life and I'll live mine, I won't tell you not to smoke, you don't tell me I should have a glass of soda and a twinkie every once in a while.

And the republican fattie comment, remember that when the doc tells you you have lung cancer or you vapor lock while you're eating your "healthy" meal.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
as soon as i saw the title to this thread on the front i figured it was a vrai thread lol

good point btw

:lol: Me, too. I have been using Forum Runner and it doesn't show the originator in the view I'm seeing.

SamSpade

So if I were Michelle Obama, I'd go one better and preach about cooking your own meals from fresh ingredients instead of frozen dinners in the microwave; I'd encourage schools to organize field trips to farms so kids can see where their food comes from and get to know the animals that will eventually end up in their bellies; have them actually work a garden and have them make homemade ketchup from tomatoes they've grown.

They STILL have the Fresh Air program, although it was never about getting inner-city kids to farms - just a couple weeks in the country or suburbs. But I don't see why it couldn't be amended to include a program specifically for farms. We used to host Fresh Air kids when I was little.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
And what is your position on smoking, what would you do about that?

Funny how you advocate health eating but continue to do other bad habits, and then expect everyone to follow your lead on just one aspect of your life while ignoring all the others.

Tell you what, you live your life and I'll live mine, I won't tell you not to smoke, you don't tell me I should have a glass of soda and a twinkie every once in a while.

And the republican fattie comment, remember that when the doc tells you you have lung cancer or you vapor lock while you're eating your "healthy" meal.
Good lord, you're an ass.