Jesse Ventura

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Talks smack at the wake of a Navy SEAL, in a bar full of Navy SEALs and got knocked the EFF out by Chris Kyle. Chris Kyle was later murdered by a fellow service member suffering from PTSD. Ventura decides he is going to sue the estate of Chris Kyle (wife Taya) for 1.8 Mil for defamation. Jury awards for Ventura. 1.8 MIL is a lot of Summer's Eve.

I'm sorry, but your alligator mouth overloaded your canary ass. Pussy.

Marcus Luttrell puts in perspective.
http://twitchy.com/2014/07/29/lone-survivor-marcus-luttrells-facebook-thread-mocks-ventura-pics/

mamatutu

mama to two
I heard this on the news tonight. One of the commentators said Jesse takes care of his own defamation of character all the time. I really don't understand this verdict/award.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sorry about Jesse because I was a big fan of his back in the day, both when he was wrestling and when he was running for Governor. What an ahole.

PeoplesElbow

The way I understood it the the events never happened, Chris Kyle made money off a story that he made up so Ventura sued his estate.

BOP

Because I believe Chris Kyle's story. It sounds like something Jesse Ventura would do, unfortunately, based on his past history.

So you're saying that Jesse Ventura, who I also liked as a wrestler and a governor, is so out of touch with reality that he sued over events as they happened? I know there are a lot of ding-bat, out-of-touch people out there, but somehow, I don't see him pursuing litigation if it went down the way Kyle alleged it went down. If the incident never happened, then absolutely, I can see him fighting to clear his name. Just because he was an American hero, that did not give him the right to publically slander Ventura, if that's what happened.

Having said all that, I guess you could say I'm really conflicted about the whole thing. I don't want to believe Kyle slandered Ventura that way, but I also don't want to believe that Ventura is such a nutter that he sued, in spite of the alleged events going down the way Kyle said they went down. And I certainly don't want to believe Ventura would shoot off his mouth in a bar that way about that specific subject. Shooting off his mouth in general, absolutely. Now maybe he said something that was misconstrued and events spiraled out of control. I can absolutely believe that might have happened.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Why is Ventura the bad guy in this?

In Kyle's book, he says something along the lines of Ventura was talking about how the missions are ####ed up, the purpose of the wars has gone off the rails and we, the US, totally ####ed this thing up. All true enough statements. The problem started when Jessie, as Kyle understood it and took it at the time, started disparaging the role of the SEAL's, that there isn't any honor in what they were doing, being part of the problem.

So, add emotions of a funeral, add alcohol and Ventura goes from making a perfectly valid point; questioning what the heck we, as a nation, are doing, and crossing the line to, essentially, insulting people very dedicated to doing their jobs, including those who died doing those jobs, who are NOT the reason we are doing what we're doing.

Valid point. Wrong time and place and totally wrong to start heaping scorn that should be directed at politicians and civilians and NOT at people who swore an oath to serve = bar fight.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So you're saying that Jesse Ventura, who I also liked as a wrestler and a governor, is so out of touch with reality that he sued over events as they happened? I know there are a lot of ding-bat, out-of-touch people out there, but somehow, I don't see him pursuing litigation if it went down the way Kyle alleged it went down. If the incident never happened, then absolutely, I can see him fighting to clear his name. Just because he was an American hero, that did not give him the right to publically slander Ventura, if that's what happened.

Having said all that, I guess you could say I'm really conflicted about the whole thing. I don't want to believe Kyle slandered Ventura that way, but I also don't want to believe that Ventura is such a nutter that he sued, in spite of the alleged events going down the way Kyle said they went down. And I certainly don't want to believe Ventura would shoot off his mouth in a bar that way about that specific subject. Shooting off his mouth in general, absolutely. Now maybe he said something that was misconstrued and events spiraled out of control. I can absolutely believe that might have happened.

Read Kyles book. If his words are anything at all like the man, we're talking about a VERY black and white guy who is not interested hearing a word about politics and questioning missions. They; savages we kill. Us, the good guys. Period. End of story. And again, after a funeral, in a bar, even less tolerance for views outside those parameters.

From what little I know about it, I see zero justification for Jesse compounding the thing and suing.

nutz

The way I understood it the the events never happened, Chris Kyle made money off a story that he made up so Ventura sued

Chris Kyle, but the trial didn't start until after he died. A judge allowed the case to continue.

"the former governor filed two years ago, claiming that the late Chris Kyle, who served in the SEALs, defamed him in a bestselling book, “American Sniper,” by making up a story about a barroom fight in California. Kyle did not identify Ventura in the book but later named him in radio and television interviews. On Jan. 23, 2012, Ventura sued Kyle. Feb. 2, 2013, Kyle was killed at a shooting range in Texas".
http://www.startribune.com/local/265910481.html

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I met Jesse in 1995. He came to talk to my BUD/S class. It was cool to meet the star of Predator. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
What a disgrace Ventura is.

Steroid usage has rotted his brain.

somdwatch

Chris Kyle, but the trial didn't start until after he died. A judge allowed the case to continue.

"the former governor filed two years ago, claiming that the late Chris Kyle, who served in the SEALs, defamed him in a bestselling book, “American Sniper,” by making up a story about a barroom fight in California. Kyle did not identify Ventura in the book but later named him in radio and television interviews. On Jan. 23, 2012, Ventura sued Kyle. Feb. 2, 2013, Kyle was killed at a shooting range in Texas".
http://www.startribune.com/local/265910481.html

This is what makes it so despicable. Ventura may have been a navy seal and a "brother in arms" at one point in his life. His life in politics (like most of our politicians) have corrupted what is "right vs. wrong". Unfortunately this post shows exactly that based on your own perceptions of what pieces of the story you have.

For me, he's just another greedy politician who learned to game the legal system because of someone's death. So he's a "Hearse Chaser."

SG_Player1974

Did I read that right? It looks like Venture started the legal action more than 1 YEAR BEFORE Kyle died! So, how exactly is Ventura's legal action in any way disgraceful? Its not like he said "Kyle is dead now... I'm gonna go after what little bit his wife has left over..."

Looks to me like a simple dispute that Ventura wanted to settle in court. The other guy dies AFTER Venture filed the suit! Was Ventura supposed to say "Well... he is dead now.... I guess I will drop everything!"

I guess I do not see what people are complaining about on here other than the fact that Ventura is an egotistical conspiracy theorist.

Hijinx

The award seems a bit crazy to me considering this story.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/lo...les-for-ventura-in-defamation-trial/13321967/

"A parade of witnesses called by attorneys for the Kyle estate testified that Ventura was rude and demeaning that evening, and one even described seeing Kyle punch Ventura and knock him down onto the sidewalk. "

Ventura claims that Kyle ruined his reputation and took away his ability to earn a living.
It seems pretty evident to me that if anything this lawsuit itself has proven what Kyle did was justified.

I am no SEAL,, and it is up to those who are to judge what Jesse Ventura's actions means to them .

But IMHO Jesse should not go to the next SEAL reunion. It might not be wise for him to appear at a function where real men of integrity are in attendence

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Did I read that right? It looks like Venture started the legal action more than 1 YEAR BEFORE Kyle died! So, how exactly is Ventura's legal action in any way disgraceful? Its not like he said "Kyle is dead now... I'm gonna go after what little bit his wife has left over..."

Looks to me like a simple dispute that Ventura wanted to settle in court. The other guy dies AFTER Venture filed the suit! Was Ventura supposed to say "Well... he is dead now.... I guess I will drop everything!"

I guess I do not see what people are complaining about on here other than the fact that Ventura is an egotistical conspiracy theorist.

Yea, I am with you on this.

It's one thing to say you believe the deceased solider's story, and while I don't, that's one thing. But to get all whiny because Ventura had cause for legal recourse is beyond ridiculous. It doesn't matter if the solider is dead. That's not the way law works.

I think your last sentence covers it. He's a guy with a big personality who is easy to hate.

MMDad

Lem Putt
And again, after a funeral, in a bar, even less tolerance for views outside those parameters.

If it really happened, then they should have been able to produce witnesses. That's all it would have taken. In order for the jury to find the way they did, they had to believe that the story was false, Kyle knew it was false, and he deliberately spread it anyway.

The thing is, I don't understand why Kyle would have made it up in the first place.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

1.8 mil for defamation of character and sullying his good name? :killingme: Jesse Ventura had done a good job of that allll on his own before this ever happened.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ventura claims that Kyle ruined his reputation and took away his ability to earn a living.

Too late on that, Jess.

If Jesse thought his reputation was "ruined" before, well he has absolutely ensured that with his silly lawsuit. Maybe he should sue himself for ruining his own career because it was only in decline before - now it's torched.