Bank Fees

DEEKAYPEE8569

.....for existing members. Do all banks do this?
Reason I ask is, I've been a member of my bank since around 1986.
Recently I went in to get a cashier's check. It was then that I was informed there would be a $5 fee.

Prob'ly answering my own question here, but I guess the banks have to get money to keep the lights on, from somewhere, so they impose fees.

GoodnessME

You are LUCKY it was ONLY $5. There is a FEE for EVERYTHING. You can get a "Break" depending on the type of account (s) you may have.

DEEKAYPEE8569

You are LUCKY it was ONLY $5. There is a FEE for EVERYTHING. You can get a "Break" depending on the type of account (s) you may have.

Other'n what I've got in my pocket, all my pennies are in my bank; either in savings or checking, but they still charge their members a fee for things like cashier's checks.
Justdon'tmakenosense.....

frequentflier

happy to be living
Sometimes, if you've got a sincere enough smile I suppose, you can get those fees waived.

I tried that at my bank (PNC) and it didn't work. I even told them I was sending money to someone that was dying of cancer that I wanted to help out her and her family (as opposed to paying a bill.) That didn't work. So I went to 7-11 and paid I think $1.25 and stuck it in the mail.
I think the post office has money orders that are less expensive as well.

I tried that at my bank (PNC) and it didn't work. I even told them I was sending money to someone that was dying of cancer that I wanted to help out her and her family (as opposed to paying a bill.) That didn't work. So I went to 7-11 and paid I think $1.25 and stuck it in the mail.
I think the post office has money orders that are less expensive as well.

I'd guess different banks have different policies, and of course the tellers involved are different. Sometimes I've gotten the fee waived, other times I've sensed I wouldn't be able to or otherwise just didn't push the issue.