My dog is shaking his head a lot

Im_Me

I looked at his ears and they don't look too bad. They seem a little dirty and I see a little irritited spot that, based on my internet veterinary license, could be a sign of ear mites.

Is this something I can tackle on my own or do you strongly recommend that I take him to the vet? I never seem to get out of the Vets for less than $250!

frequentflier

happy to be living
I looked at his ears and they don't look too bad. They seem a little dirty and I see a little irritited spot that, based on my internet veterinary license, could be a sign of ear mites.

Is this something I can tackle on my own or do you strongly recommend that I take him to the vet? I never seem to get out of the Vets for less than $250!

Take him to the Well Pet Clinic in Huntingtown. Great vets and only a $10 office visit fee.
443 295 7873. www.calvertwpc.org

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
If you want to try a holistic approach, dilute some vinegar and clean the dog's ears. If you Google you'll find some references and help. If those fail, a trip to your local well pet clinic shouldn't cost too much for basic treatment, if needed.

DoxieLuver

You can certainly try to tackle it on your own, but if the dog continues to shake its head a lot, then you take the risk of them breaking blood vessels in the flaps of their ears, that will cause them to blow up like balloons (filling with bloody fluid). Seems odd, but it happened to my Irish Setter. Was pretty nasty after that because they had to put drains in them, and when he would shake his head the fluid would fly all over the place. Ewwwx:frown:

KDENISE977

is it a floppy ear dog? Could be a yeast infection in the ears... My floppy boxer used to get them ALL THE TIME and shook her head a lot

DEEKAYPEE8569

:yeahthat:

You might be able to find an ear mite treatment at a pet shop or, dare I say.....Wally*World.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe he's shaking his head because he just can't freaking believe it. Cut off his TV time and see if it goes away.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:yeahthat:

You might be able to find an ear mite treatment at a pet shop or, dare I say.....Wally*World.....

but treating what you THINK it is vs. having a vet look to determine the problem allows the dog to be uncomfortable and suffer unnecessarily. I had that problem with Boxy (head shaking) and when he was checked he didn't have ear mites at all, he had a full blown ear infection that was causing his pain, which was why he was shaking his head. I felt awful that I had waited a week to find out.

kathmorgan12

Try to check out his ears first and see if you can treat them. If the cause is mites, try getting them out of his ears.Though if he continues shaking his head, the best way is to seek help from your vet.

Roman

Good advice kathmorgan, but this thread is relatively old. The pup is probably fine now. This same thing happened to me when I was new to the forums. Welcome aboard!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Good advice kathmorgan, but this thread is relatively old. The pup is probably fine now. This same thing happened to me when I was new to the forums. Welcome aboard!

Doesn't hurt to resurrect the old threads with new information. Hazel the beagle mix didn't seem to have much "dirt" in her ears and it turned out to be ear mites ewwww. Speaking of, I need to clean her ears again to be sure every trace of those things are gone.