For Redskins, same problem; RGIII...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...it was evident from year one that Robert is a stunning talent. It was also evident that he is a guy who is going to get hurt frequently and that his playing style, never say die, get everything out of a play you can, would only exacerbate the problem; getting hurt while scrambling. He needed to evolve into more of a drop back QB. It seems, by all reports, he still has not accepted that.

In practice, when a D guy touches the QB, the play is considered dead in an effort to remove hits on the QB from the equation. RG is not complying, it seems. He has told coach Gruden he wants to run out plays, work on his scrambling after being touched, and, so far, Gruden, mistakenly, is agreeing. It seems the Skins D is doing a good job of getting to the QB but, that is not a good excuse because regardless of whether they are that good or the line is that bad, the Redskins WILL need to be able to deal with better teams that can get to QB's as a matter of course.

And Robert, and his offense HAVE to be working on getting open sooner and getting rid of the ball sooner. Instead of treating him, properly, as a frail QB, and focusing on getting REAL sharp, a la Denver and New England, they are stuck in that Russel Wilson mode where they're going to rely on the QB to make plays with his legs. Wilson doesn't get hurt. Robert does. Period.

So, with all this new talent at the skill positions, look for Kirk to have a great second half of the season. :buddies:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Bob had a good first year because he was an unknown. And when he was hurt Cousins filled in admirably. Last year he struggled, just like I suspect he will struggle this year but I don't know how the new offense will look or function.

If Bob 3 does falter, it will vindicate Shanahan.

I find it interesting that the DS era has been riddled with failure, even with the signing of many aging free agents. JKC must have put a curse on the team once it changed owners.

Beta

Smile!
"Russell Wilson mode" -- so because they're both small black QBs you throw them in the same bucket? Wilson makes most plays with his ARM. He's not the same type of QB as RGIII.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"Russell Wilson mode" -- so because they're both small black QBs you throw them in the same bucket? Wilson makes most plays with his ARM. He's not the same type of QB as RGIII.

Russel Wilson mode; able to scramble and not get hurt. I only use him for reference because they are direct contemporaries.

Call it Steve Young mode or Fran Tarkington mode. Or Roger Staubach or even Ben Roethlisburger. Bob 3 gets hurt. Those people didn't. At least not often.

Beta

Smile!
Russel Wilson mode; able to scramble and not get hurt. I only use him for reference because they are direct contemporaries.

Call it Steve Young mode or Fran Tarkington mode. Or Roger Staubach or even Ben Roethlisburger. Bob 3 gets hurt. Those people didn't. At least not often.

I see. RGIII is a superior scrambler to any of them. The rest scramble and run if necessary, RGIII is an athlete. And actually, Roethlisburger doesn't really scramble, he just dances in the pocket until someone is open and REFUSES to go down. RGIII goes down when someone blows on him or looks at him funny. :lol:

He's more like Vick or...sorry, no white QBs can compare to his athleticism. Maybe like Tebow with the amount of running that occurs though? :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I see. RGIII is a superior scrambler to any of them. The rest scramble and run if necessary, RGIII is an athlete. And actually, Roethlisburger doesn't really scramble, he just dances in the pocket until someone is open and REFUSES to go down. RGIII goes down when someone blows on him or looks at him funny. :lol:

He's more like Vick or...sorry, no white QBs can compare to his athleticism. Maybe like Tebow with the amount of running that occurs though? :lol:

Bob 3 isn't superior to anyone when he is rehabbing his latest knee injury.

Why do you keep bringing skin color into this???

Beta

Smile!
Bob 3 isn't superior to anyone when he is rehabbing his latest knee injury.

Why do you keep bringing skin color into this???

The first time, because it seemed like the only reason you compared him to Wilson was because of race (since so many people do that). When I realized you were just mischaracterizing his skills in general, your reasoning was ok. The reason I brought it up to close my comment was because I wanted to make sure nobody said the same thing about me when I made a comparison to Vick. It wouldn't be good to take a hack at you for comparing two guys because they're both black, then do the exact same thing in my next post.

And while he's rehabbing knee injuries, he's not a good QB in general. Until he can run he should be on the bench. It's only hurting his confidence.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The first time, because it seemed like the only reason you compared him to Wilson was because of race (since so many people do that). When I realized you were just mischaracterizing his skills in general, your reasoning was ok. The reason I brought it up to close my comment was because I wanted to make sure nobody said the same thing about me when I made a comparison to Vick. It wouldn't be good to take a hack at you for comparing two guys because they're both black, then do the exact same thing in my next post.

And while he's rehabbing knee injuries, he's not a good QB in general. Until he can run he should be on the bench. It's only hurting his confidence.

Well, I'll leave the predisposition to you in terms of inferring race had ANYTHING to do with it. I considered using Rogers because he can run and doesn't get hurt but, he's also an outstanding QB. Wilson fit because they came from the same draft, both run really well and both are not accomplished QB's with the difference, my entire point, that Wilson is sturdier. I was gonna use Kapernick but, I hate spelling his name. :lol:

And that's the scary thing about Wilson and Seattle; I think he's got real good upside to only get better in the pocket and still have that run threat WHILE avoiding injury. And, obviously, he's good enough to win it all now so, there is no pressure to get better as a qb right now like there is with RGIII.

In any event, my point has nothing to do with race and everything to do with Bob 3 not progressing in the area he HAS to get better; getting plays off and avoiding scrambling while controlling his competitive streak that compels him to sacrifice his safety for a yard or two or some exciting scramble that is only going to net Kirk Cousins getting playing time.

I was truly bummed to hear and read his, Bob3's, comments on this. He still doesn't get it and the new coach hasn't made him get it.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I was truly bummed to hear and read his, Bob3's, comments on this. He still doesn't get it and the new coach hasn't made him get it.

A lot of this goes to the heart of the problems last year. You can''t tell a young guy he's the team's savior. He had his all in for week 1 campaign with 1 of his sponsors. He clearly wasn't ready to play and it hurt the entire team. That put stress on his relationship with the coach. He acted like a bratty kid that always gets his way. Even Bruce Allen went on the record recently saying that last year they could have handled things differently.

Redskins general manager Bruce Allen acknowledged that QB Robert Griffin III should not have opened the season as the starter a year ago because he did not have adequate practice time.

[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11280471[/video]

So in looking back the organization realizes that they didn't handle the matter in a way that best benefited the team. You can't let 1 player run the team unless they are a sure HOFer stud with years of experience.

This should be an interesting year for Washington. They will be better than 3-13 but probably no better than 8-8. 0-6 in the division in intolerable, that has to improve. The schedule strength helps out a first year coach.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, it continues tonight with the Browns; Robert can not help himself. He gets BLASTED on one play trying to get a meaningless extra yard instead of getting out of bounds. He goes down awkwardly on another and seems to slide fine on yet another and gets up limping. He's got heart but, he can't help himself and he is gonna get hurt and be out again. Amazing.

One the plus side, his arm looks pretty sharp. Looked fairly quick making a decision.

Another plus, the O line and Morris seem like they're going to still be able to run the ball. The Shanahan zone blocking thing where he can get 5 guys off a beer truck and a 6th round pick a 1,000 yard season, it leaves you wondering how the running game would be absent the zone scheme. However, as evidenced by the goal line stand, they're not going to be blowing up good lines in short yardage. Nice to see Gruden go for it so they can see where they are. Browns D line is no joke.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I'm not a big enough football fan to know Wilson is black.. but I got the gist of what he is saying..

You need to pull up your line, I think something took your bait..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So now Theisman is commenting RGIII may not be the best QB for the team and that Cousins is doing better in practice AND the Ram's lost their starter for the season which has lead to speculation of the Washington football team trading and my first thought was "we can't get much for Robert..."

Of course, the story was about trading Cousins but, also, because starters get injured, you don't trade a good back up. In any event, in my minds eye, it's just a sad recognition of what a best he, Robert, is; 3 #1 picks and, right now, could we even get 1 for him? Not his fault. Just a poor idea to begin with.

GregV814

attica!! attica!!! ferguson!! ferguson!! watts is burning.....watts is burning.....

Its because the "team from Washington" is racist!!!

Hey, somebody had to say it....LOL

Beta

Smile!
To quote sports center about last nights Skins/Ravens game "One team played well, the other was the Redskins".

It's the preseason! Since 2005, the Colts have 9 preseason wins and 8 playoff appearances. The Lions went 4-0 in 2008's preseason and 0-16 in the regular season. :bigwhoop:

Wait a few weeks before you start to panic. ESPN just needs something to talk about because the more people who tune in during the PRESEASON, the better their ratings and ad dollars.

So now Theisman is commenting RGIII may not be the best QB for the team and that Cousins is doing better in practice AND the Ram's lost their starter for the season which has lead to speculation of the Washington football team trading and my first thought was "we can't get much for Robert..."

Of course, the story was about trading Cousins but, also, because starters get injured, you don't trade a good back up. In any event, in my minds eye, it's just a sad recognition of what a best he, Robert, is; 3 #1 picks and, right now, could we even get 1 for him? Not his fault. Just a poor idea to begin with.

To quote Allen Iverson: "We Talkin Bout PRACTICE!" There are plenty of guys that practice OK but ball in games, and vice versa. Some guys are just gamers. It happens all the time. I wouldn't put too much stock into Cousins practicing better until the games show RGIII can't hack it. But maybe RGIII still needs time to recover from his injury? I don't really know.

RGIII started looking much better than Wilson and was equal to Luck after year 1, then was hobbled last season. Give him a little time. Granted, I don't think any player is worth 3 #1s unless they turn out to be a top 10 QB (because that means years of playoffs), but if you think you can get a top 10 QB you do anything you can to get him. I would be surprised if the Skins trade Cousins. Like you said, you don't trade a solid #2 QB, especially if you don't have a really good back-up (#3). RGIII is injury prone at this point in time so you need a backup.

Grumpy

Irritation....

So tired of hearing what the skins did to get RGIII..its done, its past, fogettaboutit. You don't(or shouldn't) stay the starter because of what you cost.

RGIII and his FATHER want him to be a drop back passer...Well, he hasn't proven he can be effective that way and daddy should shut up.

RGIII should stay off social media...tired of his talking a good game, he's beginning to sound like the idiot that is supposedly leading this country. Lead on the field, not on your keyboard

Tired of hearing that all is right in Redskinland now that the Shanahan cabal has been run out of town, dysfunction will still be the norm as long as Snyder is still around.

I am so close to being done with pro sports, the media has jumped the shark with their dissection of everything said/written.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
2014 season, 8-8 at best

I dunno. I think the D is really improved and that plus even half decent special teams makes pretty much anyone 8-8.

I'm down on Bob3 (love that!) but, as you mentioned, they can run it and if he can get a rhythm going with those receivers, this team has the talent to score.

If they can be a 17 point defense and not give up big plays on punts and kickoffs, I think they can score 21 against better teams.

I'd like to think 8-8 is reasonable.