Md. to open arms immigrant children

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
This just in...

GOVERNOR O’MALLEY ANNOUNCES NEXT STEPS FORWARD IN COMPASSIONATELY DEALING WITH UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN

ANNAPOLIS, MD (August 5, 2014) – Governor Martin O’Malley today announced the next steps that the state is taking in supporting the federal government’s efforts to help children seeking refuge from violence in Central America. The O’Malley-Brown Administration believes that by bringing the community together, leveraging public-private partnerships and working with faith leaders, non-profits, and the federal government, we can ensure that these children are treated with compassion, are kept safe and are afforded due process through federal legal proceedings.

“Our state and our nation have core values that have long drawn our citizens together and shaped our identity: e pluribus unum, from many, one,” said Governor O’Malley. “Now our nation has the opportunity to reaffirm our ideals by helping Central American children fleeing violence in their home countries. Maryland was founded as a refuge for those fleeing religious persecution and we will continue to honor our founders by working with our federal partners and other states to provide refuge and humane treatment to these children as they go through federal legal proceedings.”

After meetings with leaders from Maryland’s interfaith community, who called on all communities to care for these vulnerable children, Governor O’Malley directed the Office for Children (GOC), the Governor’s Office of Community Initiatives (GOCI) and the Department of Human Resources (DHR) to work with the federal government on three avenues of action. First, place unaccompanied children with relatives or sponsors already living in Maryland. Second, place the unaccompanied children in federal foster care. The third option is to place unaccompanied children in small group care settings if required.

To harness the outpouring of support and offers for assistance from around the state, a webpage has been developed to let those interested know how they can become foster parents as well as answer some frequently asked questions about the process. The webpage is accessible through both the state’s website (www.maryland.gov) and DHRs website (www.dhr.maryland.gov).

“Many meaningful and generous offers of assistance have come forward from across Maryland,” said Governor O’Malley. “The website will serve as a critical link between organizations and people with capacity and the children and families who need assistance.”

Additionally, GOC, DHR and GOCI are meeting with groups and organizations to help address the prioritized needs for children who have been placed in the community. The meetings identify existing community supports for basic economic needs such as food and clothing, legal services for immigration proceedings and access to health care and to develop ways to fill any gaps in needed services. As the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is tasked with paying for the cost of care while the children are in federal foster care, the O’Malley-Brown Administration is working to license any provider that is awarded under a federal grant opportunity recently issued by HHS.

Working in conjunction with the federal government, the General Assembly, interested providers and residents, the O’Malley-Brown Administration is fully committed to responding to this humanitarian need and to ensure that all children in Maryland are treated with compassion.

###

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dump them right in Montgomery and Howard counties. Those morons wanted this, they should have to deal with it.

Okay... so I did a search to try to get a number of how many are known to be homeless in Maryland and the ONLY sort of concrete number I can find is about 3,000 in Baltimore alone. I'm not getting any hits...:eyebrow:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Decision made to move, now all I need to do is buy the right place for me.

Cya moron democrats in MD.

Don't bother moving to Tennessee, Baja...:ohwell:

The analysis shows that, since 2000, all of the net increase in the number of working-age (16 to 65) people holding a job in Tennessee has gone to immigrants (legal and illegal). This is the case even though the native-born accounted for 60 percent of the growth in the state's total working-age population.

•Two key conclusion from the state's employment situation:

•First, the long-term decline in the employment of natives in Tennessee and the enormous number of working-age natives not working clearly indicates that there is no general labor shortage in the state. Thus it is very difficult to justify the large increases in foreign workers (skilled and unskilled) allowed into the country by a bill like S.744, which many of Tennessee's politicians support.

•Second, Tennessee's working-age immigrant population grew 176 percent from 2000 to 2014, one of the highest rates of any state in the nation. Yet, the number of natives working in 2014 was actually lower than in 2000. This undermines the argument that immigration on balance increases job opportunities for natives.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101890969#.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Your old alma mater? :high5:

Hello??? Your new Governor will be Terry Effing McAuliffe.
Lesser of two evils. I'll bank the savings long as I can.

The analysis shows that, since 2000, all of the net increase in the number of working-age (16 to 65) people holding a job in Tennessee has gone to immigrants (legal and illegal). This is the case even though the native-born accounted for 60 percent of the growth in the state's total working-age population.

•Two key conclusion from the state's employment situation:

•First, the long-term decline in the employment of natives in Tennessee and the enormous number of working-age natives not working clearly indicates that there is no general labor shortage in the state. Thus it is very difficult to justify the large increases in foreign workers (skilled and unskilled) allowed into the country by a bill like S.744, which many of Tennessee's politicians support.

•Second, Tennessee's working-age immigrant population grew 176 percent from 2000 to 2014, one of the highest rates of any state in the nation. Yet, the number of natives working in 2014 was actually lower than in 2000. This undermines the argument that immigration on balance increases job opportunities for natives.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101890969#.
Nope, not TN. Hello King George, VA. :yahoo:

Hijinx

Your old alma mater? :high5:

Lesser of two evils. I'll bank the savings long as I can.

Nope, not TN. Hello King George, VA. :yahoo:

So! How many are O'Mally and his old lady taking in? How many has Brown accepted into his home.

Hessian

So the "progressives" see the need to turn to "INterfaith" resources. These same agencies have been bullied regarding homosexuality, abortion, women's rights etc....now, they are supposed to leap at the chance to help the autocracy run by those hostile to active faith.....any hypocrisy here? Anyone mention this?

Regarding the origins of this state,...Catholics & Anglicans came together on the Ark & Dove,...Lord Baltimore allowed Puritans to settle up above Calvert County, AND signed an edict of toleration AFTER St Mary's was trashed by marauding Protestant forces. We lost Leonard while he was a refugee from the internecine bickering. This state was NOT a pillar of tolerance sir, it was divisive, brutal, fractious, and bitterly divided for decades: YOU are the freaking image of a divisive leader who punishes citizens while rewarding illegals, stealing our tax $$ to pay for their education, bullying Christian organizations, then pleading for assistance from them....truly pathetic ploy to refer to history too.....(idiot).

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

• First, the long-term decline in the employment of natives in Tennessee and the enormous number of working-age natives not working clearly ....

quit feeding them, they will work or starve :shrug:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I called this weeks ago. They are moving the "illegals" to Western MD. I feel bad for those folks. When I first heard about it, it sounded to me like some of the talking heads could be correct in thier speculation that this is all about changing the voting demographics. However, watch out, because some camp in St. Mary's county has also been considered. So if there's an overflow, they could wind up in your back yard.

Hijinx

So the "progressives" see the need to turn to "INterfaith" resources. These same agencies have been bullied regarding homosexuality, abortion, women's rights etc....now, they are supposed to leap at the chance to help the autocracy run by those hostile to active faith.....any hypocrisy here? Anyone mention this?

Regarding the origins of this state,...Catholics & Anglicans came together on the Ark & Dove,...Lord Baltimore allowed Puritans to settle up above Calvert County, AND signed an edict of toleration AFTER St Mary's was trashed by marauding Protestant forces. We lost Leonard while he was a refugee from the internecine bickering. This state was NOT a pillar of tolerance sir, it was divisive, brutal, fractious, and bitterly divided for decades: YOU are the freaking image of a divisive leader who punishes citizens while rewarding illegals, stealing our tax $$ to pay for their education, bullying Christian organizations, then pleading for assistance from them....truly pathetic ploy to refer to history too.....(idiot).

Very good Post.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Ha. I said the same thing. Virginia will be Maryland in no time. Baja is running in circles.
Like I said in post 11, I will reap the benefits long as I can or 10ish years. Delaware will most likely be my final destination.