Blue chip driveway

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I currently have a blue chip driveway that has seen better days..where is the best place to call for quotes for this? What price range am I looking in ? Im poor. Currently my driveway is about 2.5 car lengths long and about one wide (im super bad with length estimates, lucky for my bfs I guess):howdy:

Is this something I could have delivered and spread myself? or is it better to let them do it? How do I save a few bucks? ie recyled concrete vs stone etc

Midnightrider

I currently have a blue chip driveway that has seen better days..where is the best place to call for quotes for this? What price range am I looking in ? Im poor. Currently my driveway is about 2.5 car lengths long and about one wide (im super bad with length estimates, lucky for my bfs I guess):howdy:

Is this something I could have delivered and spread myself? or is it better to let them do it? How do I save a few bucks? ie recyled concrete vs stone etc

I had AAA deliver a truckload when we did ours, if you have a couple guys/gals with decent backs, shovels, and an iron rake its no problem to spread. Then just drive on it to compact. Make sure you get the crushed rock with dust (I forget what they call it) if you get blue chip. It compacts much nicer.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I had AAA deliver a truckload when we did ours, if you have a couple guys/gals with decent backs, shovels, and an iron rake its no problem to spread. Then just drive on it to compact. Make sure you get the crushed rock with dust (I forget what they call it) if you get blue chip. It compacts much nicer.

how much did you get delivered and what was the rough cost of delivery and stone?

General Lee

The blue stone w/ dust is called CR6. While it does pack tighter, You will be tracking that dust everywhere. Vehicles, in the house etc, especially when its wet.

Midnightrider

how much did you get delivered and what was the rough cost of delivery and stone?

Its been a few years, but I want to say $30-35/ton and they had a minimum delivery of 17-20 tons (the size of their smallest dump truck). I could be off on the price and the amount though. Asphalt tailings may be less expensive. I do remember they helped me figure out how much I needed based on the area I was trying to cover.
Your other option is to do it by the truckload. They had a minimum scale fee for that as I remember. It worked out to just a little more than the ton rate for most materials.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Ask about reclaimed asphalt. It's the stuff from when you see them grinding up the roads before laying new asphalt. It packs solidly and is cheap. The truck driver will "chain" his tailgate open and drive forward laying an even layer leaving you minimum spreading.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ask about reclaimed asphalt.

x2. Switched to reclaimed asphalt maybe 10 yrs ago and its practically all I've used since. Much more stable than crush-run bluestone; in fact, it will just about pack back in being regular asphalt after driving over it for a while.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Its been a few years, but I want to say $30-35/ton and they had a minimum delivery of 17-20 tons (the size of their smallest dump truck). I could be off on the price and the amount though. Asphalt tailings may be less expensive. I do remember they helped me figure out how much I needed based on the area I was trying to cover.
Your other option is to do it by the truckload. They had a minimum scale fee for that as I remember. It worked out to just a little more than the ton rate for most materials.

:faint:

LT's going to measure the driveway tonight when we're home, we're both terrible at math but...how many tons do you need ...or is recommended... per square foot? The driveway is maybeeeee...10'x20'? maybe 10'x25'? 17 tons sounds like so much...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

LT's going to measure the driveway tonight when we're home, we're both terrible at math but...how many tons do you need ...or is recommended... per square foot? The driveway is maybeeeee...10'x20'? maybe 10'x25'? 17 tons sounds like so much...

Crushed stone runs roughly 2 tons per cubic yard (27 cubic feet). If your drive is only 10X25 you have 250 square feet, spread 4 inches deep will give you about 83 cubic feet, so with 4 cubic yards you would have plenty or with 3 cubic yards just spread it thinner.

Midnightrider

Its been so long I don't remember. it very well may have been 7 tons, not 17.....

lucky_bee

RBF expert
crushed stone runs roughly 2 tons per cubic yard (27 cubic feet). If your drive is only 10x25 you have 250 square feet, spread 4 inches deep will give you about 83 cubic feet, so with 4 cubic yards you would have plenty or with 3 cubic yards just spread it thinner.

OMG MATHHHHH :jameo:

Crushed stone runs roughly 2 tons per cubic yard (27 cubic feet). If your drive is only 10X25 you have 250 square feet, spread 4 inches deep will give you about 83 cubic feet, so with 4 cubic yards you would have plenty or with 3 cubic yards just spread it thinner.

:nerd:

garyt27

INAFJ
Call Thomas Hance, give them the measurements, they will recommend and quote you a price. Have them tailgate drop the material, that way you only have to touch up the edges. Good Luck.