Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: continued freakout over guns

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    I would love to see the video, which you know they have. Every square inch of any Walmart has a camera on it.
    And if it jives with witness accounts....

that store has about 120 cameras, so it shouldn't be too hard.

One 911 call released by Beavercreek police was from Ronald Ritchie of Riverside, who was inside Walmart. He told dispatchers at 8:21 p.m. Tuesday that he saw a man “walking around with a gun in the store.”

Ritchie, an ex-Marine, said the man was pointing a black rifle at people near the pet section and that “he’s loading it right now.” Later, he said, “He looked like he was trying to load it, I don’t know.” He then added, “He just pointed it at two children.”
    It's now known the guy was holding a Crosman MK-177. If anyone has been to Wal-Marts that sell these, they're typically sitting in boxes on the shelf. It's not inconceivable that he opened the box and was playing around with it when someone walked by as he was doing so.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    It's not inconceivable that he opened the box and was playing around with it when someone walked by as he was doing so.
    How long do you suppose it took between the time of the call to police, and their actual arrival? Because the guy still had the rifle in his hands when police showed up.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    from a ####ing BB Gun
    It's nice that you are clairvoyant and know everything without being told or having any real contact with the situation. Not everyone has that gift and they actually have to get close and take a look. Because, ya know, they're all BB guns...until they're not.

On another note, it would give me a lot of pleasure to have someone burst into your office and point a rifle at you. Then, after you've already #### your pants, they could go, "Ha ha! Sike! Just a BB gun!" Especially since you're such a home protection kinda guy and all, maybe you'd shoot him...and we could laugh at you for getting upset over a "####ing BB gun".

Idiot.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How long do you suppose it took between the time of the call to police, and their actual arrival? Because the guy still had the rifle in his hands when police showed up.
    Who knows. I would imagine if a "man with gun at Wal-Mart" call came in, they'd be there pretty quick.

He could have been looking at a few and just was holding this one when they showed up, not necessarily holding the same pellet gun the whole time.

I'm going to mention that witnesses suck, as a general rule. Not going pro or con yet, as someone once said, "Dont jump to conclusions, just listen to whatever the nice officer said, he's a cop, and they would never lie." Or something like that :)
    "I aim to misbehave."

It is just unfortunate the guy didn't learn from John Stewart's 2nd Amendment Manners, Do's and Don'ts. http://thedailyshow.cc.com/news-team...o-s-and-don-ts
    “In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act” - Geo Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    I'm going to mention that witnesses suck, as a general rule. Not going pro or con yet, as someone once said, "Dont jump to conclusions, just listen to whatever the nice officer said, he's a cop, and they would never lie." Or something like that :)
    It's not just witnesses. It's we, the people, in general. It's not easy for a cop to be told 'man pointing gun at people in store, get here soon!' and get there, see what you expected and, while you are all jacked up, still be in complete control and being to discern and evaluate the threat in a few heart beats. The ones that bother me are like Waco and the homeless guy in New Mexico where the cops, basically, get bored. Split second stuff, that's not easy. That's another reason I am pro second amendment; if the people in the store, being the ones on the scene, being the ones dealing with the details, then, they can act and the cops can come clean up the mess and write the reports. It's one view of events when you can call the cops and say "I feel skeered! Come deal with it!" and a whole other thing to have the responsibility of discerning "Ok, it's just a dumb ####, so, no need to get excited and pull my blaster out..." So, in the mean time, we grow more and more scared and less and less capable and responsible.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Blog Entries
    Who knows. I would imagine if a "man with gun at Wal-Mart" call came in, they'd be there pretty quick.

He could have been looking at a few and just was holding this one when they showed up, not necessarily holding the same pellet gun the whole time.
    That could be. However it's reasonable to assume that someone probably said something to him, or he at least noticed there was a disturbance before the cops showed up. Or maybe not, but he definitely had to notice when the cops told him to drop the gun and get on the floor. So why not simply put the pellet rifle down when told to do so? Or is that a violation of his 2A rights?

With the story as reported, I'm siding with the cops on this one. GURPS should probably go into law enforcement since he knows what type of weapon a person is brandishing instantly and without having to look at it, but most cops don't have that mind reading ability. Calling this one "suicide by cop".
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

depending on the walmart ... the cop could have been in the store already working his second JOB
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

So why not simply put the pellet rifle down when told to do so? Or is that a violation of his 2A rights?

Male. early 20's. See: "Tony Stewart runs over male, early 20's..." Gotta seek those patterns...
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Members who have read this thread: 27