Robin Williams

mamatutu

mama to two
I was in the process of starting a thread, but saw yours. So sad, and a shock. What a great talent. Always one of my all time favorites. Rest in peace, Robin.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I hate this, he was one of my favorite actors in both comedies and dramas.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I hate this, he was one of my favorite actors in both comedies and dramas.

Then you can't be surprised? He's been a crazy, manic genius his whole life. TOTALLY makes sense to me that a person like would be calling the shots at the end. :buddies:

TPD

the poor dad
Whenever a comedian like Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, or Eddie Murphy are/were interviewed on the late night talk shows, the interviewer is never able to peel back that layer of secrecy of these comedians to get them to say anything about their personal lives. They are always 'on' - always comedic. So yeah, I believe most comedians are hiding something - depression, addiction, etc.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Then you can't be surprised? He's been a crazy, manic genius his whole life. TOTALLY makes sense to me that a person like would be calling the shots at the end. :buddies:
That doesn't make it any better. I was looking forward to seeing him as an old man.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That doesn't make it any better. I was looking forward to seeing him as an old man.

While not old, he did make it to, what 63 or so. It's a heck of a lot better than going out in his 30's.

I don't think I've ever seem him do something where that darkness didn't leak through, that strong hint of a deep unhappiness. Patch Adams, his stand up, Good Morning, certainly Good Will...loved the guy, though. Mad genius.

Here's to him :buddies:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm gonna be the odd one to say that I never really liked him all that much.

Am I sorry he's dead? Of course.

But I still didn't like him. He always was so OUT THERE and INTENSE and EXTREME that it was exhausting for me to watch him. He just had so much, I don't know what you'd call it, but it is almost like he'd suck the air out of the room with his whatever it was.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
While not old, he did make it to, what 63 or so. It's a heck of a lot better than going out in his 30's.

I don't think I've ever seem him do something where that darkness didn't leak through, that strong hint of a deep unhappiness. Patch Adams, his stand up, Good Morning, certainly Good Will...loved the guy, though. Mad genius.

One of my favorite tracks was "Grandpa Funk" from "Reality... What a concept". On the aliens landing "They weren't the little suckers we expected, they were eight feet tall, black and they were pissed."

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

My pop loved the guy. "Discovered" him on the Mork and Mindy show and for some reason, William's form of humor just clicked for the crusty ole former Marine-turned-farmer that my old man was.

Weird coincidence too...we interred Pop's remains this past Saturday...at sea.

frequentflier

happy to be living

:buddies:

somdfunguy

not impressed

well said, my thoughts exactly

Whenever a comedian like Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, or Eddie Murphy are/were interviewed on the late night talk shows, the interviewer is never able to peel back that layer of secrecy of these comedians to get them to say anything about their personal lives. They are always 'on' - always comedic. So yeah, I believe most comedians are hiding something - depression, addiction, etc.
Stern has, but many successful people refuse to be interviewed by him because they know how good he is

frequentflier

happy to be living

Sounds like he found his "off" switch.

I remember reading that he ad libbed a lot of his act in "Good Morning Viet Nam". Impressive; like many other movies he did. I admired him as an actor and always looked forward to what he would come up with next.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He always was so OUT THERE and INTENSE and EXTREME that it was exhausting for me to watch him. He just had so much, I don't know what you'd call it, but it is almost like he'd suck the air out of the room with his whatever it was.

Yup. For some, that was, of course, the attraction; the intensity.

Flames that burn that hot, it's sort of a miracle he made it to his 60's.