Passing this along to parents in case they missed it.

inkah

"the majority of the teachers in the school district plan to participate in a “back to basics” job action that includes refusing to give homework, work overtime, volunteer for extracurricular activities and contact parents after school hours."

Awww...poor kids.

sm8

This needs a poll to see how many parents would be devastated by no homework. Just because homework is not assigned does not parents can not talk to their children about what they are learning and elaborate on it.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
"the majority of the teachers in the school district plan to participate in a “back to basics” job action that includes refusing to give homework, work overtime, volunteer for extracurricular activities and contact parents after school hours."

Awww...poor kids.

If I were a student, that wouldn't bother me either. But I might be bothered by the lack of dances and clubs that would be available at my school. I also might be upset about losing coaches and staff members that have mentored me.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Awww...poor kids.

The Post article is inaccurate. The teachers will not be refusing to assign homework. They will be refraining from "assigning homework that would have to be graded outside normal working hours". So there will be homework, just not as much.

sparkyaclown

Where did the 80% number come from? The teachers I know have no intention of participating in this nor do I believe they have been officially polled as to their participation. In fact they look at is as potentially having the opposite effect intended. While I agree the teachers may be getting short changed because administration mismanaged the budget last year and then conveniently left, I think this is the wrong approach.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
Where did the 80% number come from? The teachers I know have no intention of participating in this nor do I believe they have been officially polled as to their participation. In fact they look at is as potentially having the opposite effect intended. While I agree the teachers may be getting short changed because administration mismanaged the budget last year and then conveniently left, I think this is the wrong approach.

There was a survey sent out that teachers were asked to complete electronically. The survey contained a question asking whether or not you would be willing to participate in the work action and to what degree. I assume that's where their numbers are coming from.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
There was a survey sent out that teachers were asked to complete electronically. The survey contained a question asking whether or not you would be willing to participate in the work action and to what degree. I assume that's where their numbers are coming from.

Is the press release coming from the union?