Vacant home insurance.

Good lord what a mess. No one seems to want to do it for any length of time. My ins. co will cancel soon. I may need to have someone live there. Someone I know and trust and can claim as a residence until it sells. No rent just a get-away home for a few days a month. That will most likely be a mess too. Probably have this all wrong.

TPD

the poor dad
Good lord what a mess. No one seems to want to do it for any length of time. My ins. co will cancel soon. I may need to have someone live there. Someone I know and trust and can claim as a residence until it sells. No rent just a get-away home for a few days a month. That will most likely be a mess too. Probably have this all wrong.

So what about all those people who go to Florida for 4-6 months out of the year? Is their insurance cancelled?

So what about all those people who go to Florida for 4-6 months out of the year? Is their insurance cancelled?

No if you plan on going back you are cool.
If you plan on selling you are screwed.

I guess I could go check on the place, but I think you have to stay there a certain amount of time.

TPD

the poor dad
No if you plan on going back you are cool.
If you plan on selling you are screwed.

I guess I could go check on the place, but I think you have to stay there a certain amount of time.

Those of us who try to be honest and open all the time get screwed. If you lie and cheat - life is good. :\

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Those of us who try to be honest and open all the time get screwed. If you lie and cheat - life is good. :\

This does seem to be the case. :ohwell:

I'm in real estate limbo and might need to find someone to live in my house as well, just to take care of it and have it occupied. The good news is that I have a few friends who are in the biz, including one pal who works for Fannie Mae, and they've given me some good advice.

ginwoman

try JIA (Joint Insurance Administion) they used to do vacant homes I believe. Also, have you tried an Independent Insurance Agent? Raley/Watts; Combs Drury

PeoplesElbow

No problems maintaining insurance with my grandfathers house as it sit vacant for a year and a half while the estate got settled.

No problems maintaining insurance with my grandfathers house as it sit vacant for a year and a half while the estate got settled.

yea- same- back in 2006 I called my insurance co to insure my new home - and they asked whats up with the old home and I said we're trying to sell ... they didnt change the rates at all and just said "oh".

6 months later we sold- and I canceled. Never had a problem. - Have things changed so much? Try Simms in Lexington Park or a large national company- I am surprised this is a problem. We are with Simms now- as they are way cheaper than that big national company (whose name escapes me right now) but at the time- they did the right thing.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Travelers and State Farm have both insured vacant homes recently that I'm aware of. One was our home in Buffalo that we were trying to sell and one was my Mom's home on Long Island after she passed away. The homes had been insured through these companies prior to becoming vacant. They, of course, raised the rates because it's a higher risk for them but they didn't cancel us. Maybe try calling them? You're right......those of us who try to do things the right way, the honest way, often get screwed. Hope it works out for ya.

PeoplesElbow

yea- same- back in 2006 I called my insurance co to insure my new home - and they asked whats up with the old home and I said we're trying to sell ... they didnt change the rates at all and just said "oh".

6 months later we sold- and I canceled. Never had a problem. - Have things changed so much? Try Simms in Lexington Park or a large national company- I am surprised this is a problem. We are with Simms now- as they are way cheaper than that big national company (whose name escapes me right now) but at the time- they did the right thing.

My grandfathers was Allstate and this was the 2010-2011 time frame. :shrug:

ginwoman

Yes of course its a problem. When a house is vacant it is at a much bigger risk of loss (fire/vandalism, etc). If the agent doesn't tell the insurance company that the house is vacant....it can usually slide for a while, unless and until the insurance company does an inspection and discovers that it is vacant.

Simms ie Erie ins. is who I was with. When I tried to get renters from them for CO they said they didn't cover Co and what was up with the house in MD. I said I was moving and they said I had 30 days to find another co. Since they had my truck ins. too I had to change that.

Yes of course its a problem. When a house is vacant it is at a much bigger risk of loss (fire/vandalism, etc). If the agent doesn't tell the insurance company that the house is vacant....it can usually slide for a while, unless and until the insurance company does an inspection and discovers that it is vacant.

Well, I can't imagine it being a bigger risk of fire, but vandalism for sure.

No worries there either; we already got all the fixtures and copper out. You shouldn't have anything to worry about now.

Well thanks. Do I get 10% at least?

And filled the toilets and bathtub with concrete so that they wouldnt over flow or leak.

I wonder why I didn't think of that? Actually I turned off the toilets, the water to the fridge which is off and open. Wanted to do the whole house but I had some cleaners coming after I left and they would need it.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Claim it as a rental.