Hazel needs help, please help us improve her senior life.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
2014-07-23 12.02.03.jpg 20140728_184718 (1024x576).jpg 2014-07-25 20.21.17Hazelsmaller.jpg

Hazel started out at The Humane Society of Charles County (HS). I am not sure how long she was there, but she was transferred to the Tri-County Shelter in Hughesville. I first saw Hazel at Tri-County and discovered she had been a stray in Port Tobacco and she was given the name Hazel by the staff at Tri-County when she arrived. Hazel made a lot of noise barking up a storm to get the attention of anyone passing by her kennel run. I wasn't put off by her barking at all and decided that she was the one to spring from Tri-County.

I chose The Humane Society of Charles County as the facility to spay Hazel. I think the people there are awesome. We have had the majority of the rescues spayed/neutered there. Hazel was transferred from Tri-County to HS on a Monday for blood work prior to her Wednesday spay surgery. The vet couldn't do the surgery because her red blood cell count was too low. The said for me to feed her a high quality diet and bring her back in a month for blood work again. In 2 weeks Hazel will get blood work done again.

In the meantime I took Hazel to get a full exam from a vet we use for many of the rescue-intake exams. The vet said that little Hazel appeared to have a number of issues, including the anemia. Hazel needs to have an x-ray to see what is going on that is causing her abnormal gait, and she also needs extensive dental work. The vet said if diet doesn't clear up the anemia, we will need to look into other possibilities. The exam revealed that Hazel appears to have pain in her right rear hip/leg area.

We are establishing a fund for Hazel, and hope that we can get your help to give Hazel the health and dental care she needs to have a decent senior life. Hazel's age was estimated as 10 years old by Tri-County and by the vet we used. I think it seems odd for a 10 year old dog to already be missing several teeth, and also need to have as many or more extracted due to decay. Maybe she is older than 10? We have no way of knowing. We need help so we can give Hazel a better life. You an use this link for donations to help Hazel:

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Done, wish I could've given more. Hazel looks so sweet.

Thank you so much. She is so sweet, and I wonder about her past because it seems like she may have been injured in her previous life by how unbalanced she is when she walks/runs. We decided to leave her name as Hazel to honor the Tri-County staff member who named her :smile:.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am not sure why she looked so scared in this picture? I was standing over her, so maybe she had a bad experience in the past with someone over her?

2014-08-15 10.01.35HazelLookingScaredSmaller.jpg

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
She is probably the submissive kind of gal. It looks to me like she's giving the Photographer what I call the "Rub my belly, I love you look".

When I look at the picture again I think you and ontheriver are right. I did rub her belly a while ago. She liked it.

Bad ole Tex (outdoor male kitty) lightly whacked her in the face and she looked at me as if to say ... why did he do that? Poor girl.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Hazel goes in for surgery tomorrow. She will be spayed and thank goodness she will never be forced to bear puppies again. Since she is a senior, we asked that they do the dental work she needs during the same procedure as our vet thinks at her age, multiple procedures with anesthesia could be an issue for her. She was anemic, so she has been eating well for the past month or so to get her body back to being more healthy.

The vet said she's missing teeth already, and once she gets the bad ones extracted that she won't have many teeth left. Poor baby. I'll be sure to get pain meds for her and I have a quiet place setup for her to rest while she recuperates. It is amazing how fast I have become attached to this sweet little girl. We are still hoping for more donations, as we do not know how much the dental bill will be. Once she recuperates from surgery, we will take her in for an x-ray of her back end to see what is going on there. She will be walking along and her back-end just flops over. She gets back up and continues along like nothing happened. She certainly doesn't ACT like a senior dog despite the fact that her body appears to be quite old.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Wow - the spay surgery and her dental surgeries were done yesterday. They extracted 5 bad teeth. Poor little girl! She would dance like crazy for food, now she has no interest at all in food. I am heading for Petsmart shortly to get her a collar to stop her from licking her abdominal stitches and get her a better variety of canned food. She had 2 potty accidents overnight due to her being unwilling to whine/bark to let me know she needed to go out (gee missing 5 teeth - that would keep my mouth shut too). The vet said she still has about 10 teeth left. I need to look up to see how many teeth dogs have so I'll know how many in total she is missing. The tech I spoke with said she may have been eating a lot of garbage which would cause more rapid decay of teeth. She's an expert at getting into trash cans, so I suspect he may be right.

I have to take her with me to Petsmart to be sure I get the right size. This is a time I could use a baby seat to carry her in. I'll have to make do with the small crate I have. I took this picture of her before the surgery.

2014-09-09 10.19.32.jpg

Roman

What a sweet heart! Get well wishes her way.
Wow - the spay surgery and her dental surgeries were done yesterday. They extracted 5 bad teeth. Poor little girl! She would dance like crazy for food, now she has no interest at all in food. I am heading for Petsmart shortly to get her a collar to stop her from licking her abdominal stitches and get her a better variety of canned food. She had 2 potty accidents overnight due to her being unwilling to whine/bark to let me know she needed to go out (gee missing 5 teeth - that would keep my mouth shut too). The vet said she still has about 10 teeth left. I need to look up to see how many teeth dogs have so I'll know how many in total she is missing. The tech I spoke with said she may have been eating a lot of garbage which would cause more rapid decay of teeth. She's an expert at getting into trash cans, so I suspect he may be right.

I have to take her with me to Petsmart to be sure I get the right size. This is a time I could use a baby seat to carry her in. I'll have to make do with the small crate I have. I took this picture of her before the surgery.

View attachment 104511

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
What a sweet heart! Get well wishes her way.

I was worried about her age and her having surgery, especially knowing it would be longer than usual since the dental was also being done. When I didn't get a call from them during the day I knew everything went well, but all day I was checking the phone and wondering if they called and I didn't hear the phone. I am so in love with this little girl already it would have broken my heart if anything went wrong. Thankfully she is ok, albeit in a lot of pain today. She's such a trooper, wags her little tail, and she finally ate some canned dog food and a chicken pill pocket with her pain rx :smile:. I wish I wasn't so far from Peppers .. I prefer to support small businesses. Petsmart got $41 of my money today for Hazel's supplies. She doesn't answer to Hazel (or anything for that matter), and I find myself calling her Little Girl.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
OMG - I just read online that beagles have 42 teeth! She has only about 10 left now per the vet - that means she lost more than half her teeth before we got her. How can that be? Seems crazy but apparently many of us underestimate the need for dental hygiene for dogs. Poor girl will be eating mostly soft food the rest of her life (including moistened dry food). The life span for Beagles said 12-15 years, with the average being 13 years.

Bond

Lovely introduction of Hazel and will donate after this post. Great way to get attention and to make life comfortable for others. A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.