American Songbook

BOP

This is actually inspired by a PBS special I'm watching right now on WETA called "Jimmy Van Heusen: Swingin.'"

Van Heusen was a hugely prolific writer, credited with over 600 songs, spanning decades. He wrote for movies, television, and theater, and won 4 Oscars and an Emmy. He is listed in the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Anyway, the thread isn't just about Van Heusen, it's about the songs and music of the Greatest Generation. It's the music of my grandparents' and my parents' generations. That's a broad range that covers at least 3 decades from the '20s through the '50s. From Wikipedia: "The Great American Songbook is a term used to denote the canon of the most important and most influential American popular songs of the 20th century – principally from Broadway theatre, musical theatre, and Hollywood musical film. Written from the 1920s through the 1950s, they include hundreds of songs of enduring popularity."

Actress Dorothy Lamour sang the song "Personality" in one of the Hope/Crosby "Road" movies. I thought she did a terrific job, but unfortunately, I couldn't find it on youtube. I did find another version by one of my mom's favorite singers, back in the day, Johnny Mercer.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
Great music! You can't help but be in a good mood listening to that, and snap your fingers at this late hour. And, it has my parents generation written all over it; I miss them so. My husband loves Swing and the Big Bands which counter balances my love for classical; especially Mozart. The only other group thrown into the mix that we think is timeless is the Beatles. That is pretty much our repertoire. Thanks for posting! Good stuff!

BOP

Early Beatles, good stuff; later Beatles, not so much.

This so does not fall within the parameters of the thread, but since I'm responding to you, and since I'm listening to this, I'll post it anyway, and to heck with the OP!

BOP

One of the singers I grew up listening to because of my parental units' bad influence was Doris Day. This is called "Perhaps, Perhaps, Because," and I like it. From her 1964 album "Latin for Lovers."

BOP

From the 1950 Broadway musical "Guys and Dolls," one of my step mom's favorites. Doris Day also did a version of this, as did Perry Como and Betty Hutton, and others.

The Andrews Sisters - "A Bushel and a Peck"

BOP

Dorothy Dandridge - "A Zoot Suit (for my Sunday Gal)." I saw her in that outfit and said "Daaaaymn!" :hot:

Her partner is Paul White, but I can't tell you anything about him. Accompaniment is allegedly by Ted Fio Rito's Orchestra, but I haven't verified that.

Some of the legends who've recorded the song:

A ZOOT SUIT (FOR MY SUNDAY GAL)
(L. Wolfe Gilbert / Bob O'Brien)

Kay Kyser & His Orch. (vocal: Sully Mason, Trudy, Jack Martin,
Max Williams) - 1942
The Andrews Sisters - 1942
Paul Whiteman & His Orch. - 1942
Bob Crosby & His Orch. (vocal: Nappy Lamare) - 1942
Ray Herbeck & His Orch. (vocal: Hal Munbar & Yvonne Walker) - 1942
Harry Roy & His Band - 1942
Wendi Williams (feat. in the film "Introducing Dorothy Dandridge") -

Also recorded by:
Benny Goodman & His Orch.
Bill Elliott Swing Orch.

BOP

This is one of only two instrumentals that I know of, the other being by Miles Davis, of "Old Devil Moon." It was introduced in 1947, and a bunch of people have covered it vocally, including Jo Stafford, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and a host of others. Check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Devil_Moon

Sonny Rollins' version of "Old Devil Moon." I think I prefer this to Davis' version, but that's just me.

Last edited:

BOP

The Ames Brothers are awesome...such a smooth sound! I'm a sucker for harmony. "Sentimental Journey" with Les Brown and his Band of Renown.

For you and your other half, sha.

BOP

I can' he'p it! Les Brown and his Band of Renown, again, with "Sentimental Journey," along with one of my, and my father's favorite girl singers, Doris Day.

BOP

Tennessee Ernie Ford...grew up listening to him, and his partner here, Kay Starr. I was too young to remember this song, but at the same time, it has an easy familiarity. "I'll Never be Free."