Ice Bucket Challenge

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't really understand this. How is it raising money for ALS? I thought it was that you either tape yourself getting ice poured over you, or you donate. But if everyone is having the ice bath....who is donating?

MMM_donuts

The ALS Foundation has reported that it's seen an $3 Million increase in donations when compared to the same period last year. Now people are actually looking it up to see what ALS means and sometimes getting involved.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The ALS Foundation has reported that it's seen an $3 Million increase in donations when compared to the same period last year. Now people are actually looking it up to see what ALS means and sometimes getting involved.

aHA! That makes sense. :yay:

MMM_donuts

Here's the article I got that from:

http://www.alsa.org/news/archive/als-ice-bucket-challenge.html

Between July 29 and today, August 12, The ALS Association and its 38 chapters have received an astonishing $4 million in donations compared to $1.12 million during the same time period last year. The ALS Association is incredibly grateful for the outpouring of support from those people who have been doused, made a donation, or both. Contributions further The Association’s mission to find a cure for ALS while funding the highest quality of care for people living with the disease.

"We have never seen anything like this in the history of the disease,” said Barbara Newhouse, President and CEO of The ALS Association. “We couldn’t be more thrilled with the level of compassion, generosity and sense of humor that people are exhibiting as they take part in this impactful viral initiative.

Makavide

Not too talkative
I have seen some of the challengers state that you can either do the ice bucket AND donate $25 - $50 or just donate $100.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't really understand this. How is it raising money for ALS? I thought it was that you either tape yourself getting ice poured over you, or you donate. But if everyone is having the ice bath....who is donating?

If you get called out, say, by someone who knows you are of fine, upstanding moral character, like I know you are, and you wuss out and don't meet the challenge, you HAVE to give $100 to http://www.alsa.org/

So, consider your ass called out and get you a bucket, some ice, some water, some Neal and some Iphone and prove you are not a wuss and post it on FB.

:evil:

mamatutu

mama to two
This has been a great awareness campaign, so good for them!

That is the truth. Whoever thought of it should be in some high powered PR job. My husband keeps waiting for the ice bucket to drop on him. All his relatives and friends are responding/done it, and he is just waiting for his turn. I always knew it was a good decision not to do FB! I have seen some girls with great bodies posting their videos in bikinis. Take your 2 minutes of fame any way you can get it. :lol: Don't get me wrong. It is a great campaign and seems to be working. More power to all of you that participate. :yay:

Last edited:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I don't agree on making someone donate $100. That's a lot of money. I would think any donation that could be spared would be great.

mamatutu

mama to two
I don't agree on making someone donate $100. That's a lot of money. I would think any donation that could be spared would be great.

I am sure they would take $1, but why not go for a big amount. They are not going to turn away a lesser donation which I am sure many people have done. Again, whoever thought of this should have a top job at a top PR firm.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I freaking hate those stupid ice bucket challenges.

I won't do one, and I'll make a donation on my own free will, not because someone challenges me to do it.

So there.

And stop posting them on Facebook. It's done and over, and mostly no one cares.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I won't do one, and I'll make a donation on my own free will, not because someone challenges me to do it.

So there.

This fad isn't new. The cold water challenge started up earlier in the year. Most people were dunking themselves in the river. Now ice has been added and the name changed.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

So there.

:harumph:

:lol:

idiganthro

It's just an "advertizing gimmick," and it's working! I saw on the news this morning that 13 million dollars has been raised for ALS since this challenge started.

We opted to take the bath AND donated as well. We thought the idea was that if you didn't do the bucket, you couldn't pass on the challenge. So, we bit the bullet and then issued challenges to a few friends. At the end of the day, sure it's silly, but it's all in fun for a good cause, so why not?

I care...:howdy:

With all of the hatred and ill-will we are constantly exposed to I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the ALS icebucket challenge has grown and continues to grow. I love seeing people step up and by acknowledging the challenge doing something positive and selfless.

I hope it goes on and on and on.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This fad isn't new. The cold water challenge started up earlier in the year. Most people were dunking themselves in the river. Now ice has been added and the name changed.

I hear you but, it is the first one I've had any interest in. Not sure why???

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I hear you but, it is the first one I've had any interest in. Not sure why???

I haven't been interested in either one. :shrug:

I do think that Elliot (DC101) was pretty original in his video. He had the Zamboni drop all of its shaved ice on him after clearing the rink. :lmao: