Driveshaft Balance

Did you replace the U joints yet? Do that before you get the shaft balanced.
Took the truck in to have the u-joints checked while on vacation. U-joints were good. Driveshaft has a uniform surface rust on it, except for a 2"x1" dent about 6" from the back end, dent is rust free. That shop said that the dent may have thrown the balance off.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Who balances driveshafts in St. Mary's, Calvert or Charles?

1997 Suburban K1500.

Did you have it done? The U joint went bad in my 97 K1500 and the shaft fell out. I need to take it to have it rebalanced if it is cost effective or by one from Brandywine Auto parts.

Did you have it done? The U joint went bad in my 97 K1500 and the shaft fell out. I need to take it to have it rebalanced if it is cost effective or by one from Brandywine Auto parts.

Fleet Service (or something like that) in Waldorf. They are behind the Walls Bakery. The "new Walls Bakery", not the old, no longer there, Wigwam. They are the only place in SoMD that does them. Wife them my drive shaft, they called me <5 minutes later "Why did you bring your drive shaft in here?" To have it balanced. "Nope. Doesn't need it, u-joints could use replacing though." How much? "$15.00 each, it'll be done in an hour". Do it. Picked it up that afternoon, installed it that night. No problems with it since.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Took my Drive shaft over to Fleetpride in Waldorf. He replaced both U joints at 15 each and then balanced it. $84 and ready to be installed. Better than paying Brandywine $125 for a used one.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Drove all the way to Waldorf, Fleetpride, with my junked up driveshaft for them to tell me "As of today, we no longer repair or balance driveshfts!"

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Drove all the way to Waldorf, Fleetpride, with my junked up driveshaft for them to tell me "As of today, we no longer repair or balance driveshfts!"

Well bummer..good to know, I guess. I'll keep building and repairing my own and live with whatever balance I end up with. Has not really been a problem, frankly...but I'm talking about drive shafts for older trucks mostly..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well bummer..good to know, I guess. I'll keep building and repairing my own and live with whatever balance I end up with. Has not really been a problem, frankly...but I'm talking about drive shafts for older trucks mostly..

The rebuild I can probably do ( not really sure it needs it) but the balance is Waaaaay out of wack..