CVS is in trouble!.

Maybe she is just outright allergic to percoset (like me) and it was only under a slightly higher dosage that symptoms showed. The lower dose might have eventually showed those signs too.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
I know that when I got percocets the 5 milligram dosage and the 10 milligram dose are different colors. And who is to say she didn't just switch the pills and who's to say that it didn't start when she took the 5 mg.

pebbles

I've received the wrong medicine and been billed the incorrect amount due to them sending through wrong insurance on more than one occasion. I refuse to use CVS anymore.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I've received the wrong medicine and been billed the incorrect amount due to them sending through wrong insurance on more than one occasion. I refuse to use CVS anymore.

My company changed our health plan options, and one of the changes is in order to get a best price we must use CVS for our prescriptions, and if you are on maintenance prescriptions, you won't be covered for any benefits unless you use CVS. I refuse to use CVS because it isn't convenient. I use Safeway and they give me good deals on the maintenance stuff, so I don't have to go to CVS. If I used CVS I would only save a small amount anyway, but that's because all my meds have a generic.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
my company changed our health plan options, and one of the changes is in order to get a best price we must use cvs for our prescriptions, and if you are on maintenance prescriptions, you won't be covered for any benefits unless you use cvs. I refuse to use cvs because it isn't convenient. I use safeway and they give me good deals on the maintenance stuff, so i don't have to go to cvs. If i used cvs i would only save a small amount anyway, but that's because all my meds have a generic.

tmi

Hijinx

Maybe she is just outright allergic to percoset (like me) and it was only under a slightly higher dosage that symptoms showed. The lower dose might have eventually showed those signs too.

That's my guess too.

Many people take percocet in stronger dosages than this and do not contract any disease.

sm8

When my older daughter was really little she had to have a medical procedure done and needed to be given medication an hour before her appointment. I have trust issues anyway which is another story so I research and look into everything. When I researched the medication the dosage just seemed off to me. From my calculations the dose they prescribed would be what was prescribed for a 300lb person so I contacted the pharmacy. They told me it was correct and I still did not trust them so I drove to the pharmacy with prescription and kid in hand to ask in person where they again told me it was correct. I would normally drive by the Dr.'s office on my way home so I stopped in and voiced my concern to the Dr. and asked if they could compare the medicine given with the prescription that was sent over. The pharmacy gave the wrong dosage, Dr. immediately freaked out and said with the medicine being a sedation and the dosage being for a 300lb person if given my small child would of stopped breathing and likely died. Pharmacy errors occur all the time and are usually just missed.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Stevens Johnson Syndrome is an idiosyncratic reaction to many things including medications. It is not dose dependent and this woman would not have avoided the reaction if she had taken the 5 mg dose rather than the 10 mg dose. She would not have known whether the pharmacy had dispensed the wrong medication strength based on the pill size or color unless she had been using Percocet in the past. Reading the label, she could not have known if the dose dispensed was wrong or not (most everyone trusts the pharmacist to do the right thing, which they do in 99.99999% of cases.)

If CVS's lawyer cannot mount a winning defense, that lawyer should be disbarred. However, CVS must somehow explain what they have done to prevent this type incident again. I suspect CVS, like many commercial pharmacies today stock 10 mg Percocet and intend to direct the patient to take 1/2 a tablet (which gives 5 mg per dose). Many patients don't read the label carefully and pop a whole pill when the directions say 1/2.

In sm8's narrative above (which does not say this was a CVS pharmacy, by the way) I will wager the medication was in liquid formulation and the dosing directions were in teaspoonful/dessertspoonful/tablespoonful quantities. This is always fraught with danger that too much medication will be given the tyke.

sm8

Stevens Johnson Syndrome is an idiosyncratic reaction to many things including medications. It is not dose dependent and this woman would not have avoided the reaction if she had taken the 5 mg dose rather than the 10 mg dose. She would not have known whether the pharmacy had dispensed the wrong medication strength based on the pill size or color unless she had been using Percocet in the past. Reading the label, she could not have known if the dose dispensed was wrong or not (most everyone trusts the pharmacist to do the right thing, which they do in 99.99999% of cases.)

If CVS's lawyer cannot mount a winning defense, that lawyer should be disbarred. However, CVS must somehow explain what they have done to prevent this type incident again. I suspect CVS, like many commercial pharmacies today stock 10 mg Percocet and intend to direct the patient to take 1/2 a tablet (which gives 5 mg per dose). Many patients don't read the label carefully and pop a whole pill when the directions say 1/2.

In sm8's narrative above (which does not say this was a CVS pharmacy, by the way) I will wager the medication was in liquid formulation and the dosing directions were in teaspoonful/dessertspoonful/tablespoonful quantities. This is always fraught with danger that too much medication will be given the tyke.

With mine it was NOT CVS and the dosage should have been .5 teaspoons and the dosage on the prescription was 5 teaspoons. I understand how easily that mistake could have been made but common sense told me that 5 teaspoons would be a lot for any one. My point was mistakes happen, I feel it should be everyone's responsibility to be aware of what they are putting in their or their loved ones bodies.

PeoplesElbow

With mine it was NOT CVS and the dosage should have been .5 teaspoons and the dosage on the prescription was 5 teaspoons. I understand how easily that mistake could have been made but common sense told me that 5 teaspoons would be a lot for any one. My point was mistakes happen, I feel it should be everyone's responsibility to be aware of what they are putting in their or their loved ones bodies.

And that is exactly why I yell at other engineers that do not put a leading zero in front of a decimal point. That decimal point can easily be lost in a fax transmission or even by a printer with a weak toner cartridge.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
And that is exactly why I yell at other engineers that do not put a leading zero in front of a decimal point. That decimal point can easily be lost in a fax transmission or even by a printer with a weak toner cartridge.

Liquid medications should be dispensed, dosed and documented in metric measures. In the hospitals certified by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) doses can no longer be measured by teaspoonfuls. In sm8's case, the liquid should have been dispensed with a small syringe to measure 2.5 ml per dose. Even if the label was incorrect, it would be obvious to all concerned that 5 teaspoonfuls (25 ml) was out of the question (even the pharmacist [or pharmacy technician] could have caught that).

sm8

Liquid medications should be dispensed, dosed and documented in metric measures. In the hospitals certified by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) doses can no longer be measured by teaspoonfuls. In sm8's case, the liquid should have been dispensed with a small syringe to measure 2.5 ml per dose. Even if the label was incorrect, it would be obvious to all concerned that 5 teaspoonfuls (25 ml) was out of the question (even the pharmacist [or pharmacy technician] could have caught that).

Trust me it was clearly obvious to me and that is why I did not give up until someone agreed and confirmed it was the wrong amount. We once got a prescription for an antibiotic that I can not remember the name of. It was the tiniest bottle and you just used a little bit of it. There was a plastic cap on it with a hole in the center that you had to place the syringe inside, flip the bottle, then draw out the amount you needed. I really liked that bottle and I think if they used that on all liquid medicine it would lower the accidental overdoses.

Unfortunately there are some people that put trust in a complete stranger. Those with the mentality of "you went to college so if you tell me to take this or give it to my kid you must be right" or do not comprehend the names or doses of medicine.