Reform Tri-County

KDENISE977

Has anyone else seen this FB page and the video that's circling around ? I just saw it for the first time today and was wondering how much of it is true as far as mistreating the dogs?? I cannot post the video b/c it's a cell phone video posted on FB, BUT it's on the FB page "Reform Tri County Animal Shelter"

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I was invited to "like" that page but have been completely unclear as to what the purpose is???

It seems to me that they are unhappy that our local shelter has a @52% kill rate and that many pets are returned. I don't see how this is the fault of the shelter.

Then they stated this "One thing that we want to do with this page is to spotlight shelters who are really working toward increasing their live release rate. There is always room for improvement and maybe we can learn from other shelters. BARCS in Baltimore went from a 95% kill rate to a 70% live release rate in the last 5 years. That's a huge change!!! To achieve this goal, they implemented programs, such as a Trap, Neuter, Return program for feral cats, and they started adopting out all dogs based on temperament, not on breed. BARCS also drastically improved their enrichment program so that the animals in the shelter are less stressed. These changes make a world of difference. Great job, BARCS!"

^^^ :confused: so why is the page titled "reform Tri-County"

and they have this standard letter they are requesting people to send out.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/refo...-charles-county-commissioners/147464045423797

It seems like a stupid, bored, action and if they really wanted to help the shelter, they could donate items, food, homes, time, etc. to the shelter instead of giving off the perception they need to be reformed when I feel they are doing the best job they can with what they have.

KDENISE977

I was invited to "like" that page but have been completely unclear as to what the purpose is???

It seems to me that they are unhappy that our local shelter has a @52% kill rate and that many pets are returned. I don't see how this is the fault of the shelter.

Then they stated this "One thing that we want to do with this page is to spotlight shelters who are really working toward increasing their live release rate. There is always room for improvement and maybe we can learn from other shelters. BARCS in Baltimore went from a 95% kill rate to a 70% live release rate in the last 5 years. That's a huge change!!! To achieve this goal, they implemented programs, such as a Trap, Neuter, Return program for feral cats, and they started adopting out all dogs based on temperament, not on breed. BARCS also drastically improved their enrichment program so that the animals in the shelter are less stressed. These changes make a world of difference. Great job, BARCS!"

^^^ :confused: so why is the page titled "reform Tri-County"

and they have this standard letter they are requesting people to send out.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/refo...-charles-county-commissioners/147464045423797

It seems like a stupid, bored, action and if they really wanted to help the shelter, they could donate items, food, homes, time, etc. to the shelter instead of giving off the perception they need to be reformed when I feel they are doing the best job they can with what they have.

I have no idea, I thought it was due to the video of the woman who was trying to see if the one shelter dog was aggressive and her actions were not nice at all. I thought it was due to the video and was in regards to the treatment, not so much the kill rate :shrug:

We have more animals than we have homes for them. We will always have a need for a kill shelter. Why is that hard to comprehend?

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
People can help tri-county by volunteering with some of the rescues that pull from tri-county regularly. Put your money where your mouth is and become a foster. The more foster homes there are, the more dogs can be pulled from Tri-county. When I am in a situation to foster I do it without an issue. It is hard to give the dog up for the new home but once that spot is opened up in my home...another dog replaces it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

And there you have it. :yay:

People can help tri-county by volunteering with some of the rescues that pull from tri-county regularly. Put your money where your mouth is and become a foster. The more foster homes there are, the more dogs can be pulled from Tri-county. When I am in a situation to foster I do it without an issue. It is hard to give the dog up for the new home but once that spot is opened up in my home...another dog replaces it.
I am of the firm belief that "rescuing" an animal from a kill shelter or the streets only to stuff them in crates and cages for months and sometimes years on end is in no way shape or form a humane thing to do. I grew up in a family who's father was on the humane society board and whose house was a foster home to a variety of animals. We always fostered yet we never exceeded the humane limit of fostering by becoming animal hoarders. I see many of our local "rescues" doing just that... hoarding animals because they believe jail for whatever length of time must be better for an animal than being put down. I personally think it is cruel.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
None of my foster's ever lived in a crate 24/7. They are a part of my daily routine. They go in a crate when I work at my full-time job but that is for their safety and my furniture staying intace. My own dog was crated during the workday. When I foster again the dog will go to the dog park, day care like my own, excusions etc.

Roman

I couldn't watch the video. It only took about 10 seconds for me to turn it off. I'd like to think the person was checking the dog for food aggression. I have heard from some rescue people that animals are being mistreated there, but that could be because the person wants Calvert County to open up their own shelter. The thought of animals being mistreated sickens me.

Christy

b*tch rocket

I'm not really sure what to think of the video, however, if all of those folks posting comments would actually go adopt a dog from Tri-County rather than feigning concern :drama:, the kill rate would go down significantly. :shrug:

It tends to annoy me that people feel that they are doing their part by posting some crap or sharing it on social media or whatever. If you truly want to help "insert cause here" then get off your ass and do it. JMHO.

It tends to annoy me that people feel that they are doing their part by posting some crap or sharing it on social media or whatever. If you truly want to help "insert cause here" then get off your ass and do it. JMHO.
So you won't dump a bucket of ice water over your head to save the puppies, huh? :ohwell:

Christy

b*tch rocket
So you won't dump a bucket of ice water over your head to save the puppies, huh? :ohwell:

NO! :lol: I do however adopt pathetic, unwanted dogs from Tri-County whenever I can because that is my "cause". I do my small part to the best of my ability. I will admit that I do not volunteer at Tri-County because I just can't. If I did, I'd have wall to wall dogs crammed into my house. Going to Tri-County for me, is like sending a raging alcoholic into a bar and expecting them not to drink. I will take up food and blankets, but I must refrain from visiting and petting. :lol:

So I guess my point is, if killing dogs makes you sad, go to Tri-County and save one. If the starving children of Darfur makes you sad, go sign up to work at a refugee camp or send money. Posting or sharing a sad story on social media (in my opinion) isn't what I consider getting involved. :shrug: