Kid food

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How does that start, anyway? What adult ever ate a chicken nugget before they had toddlers? Who keeps Kraft mac & cheese in their cupboard before they have children?

I mean, I did it too. There was all kinds of weird crap in my fridge and pantry that was never there before I had kids, and isn't there now that they're grown. Pop Tarts, Captain Crunch, fish sticks, Kool-Aid.... why do we buy this stuff and get our kids used to it? My daughter has proved that you can feed your kids what you eat and they'll be fine with it. My grandson eats like a grown up, scaled down when he was little, but now at 6 he eats pretty much anything. His treats are the same things my daughter buys for the adults - cookies and chips, etc, but they are considered a treat and not "part of a meal".

Is it advertising? Like all those commercials for junk food and "breakfast" items, so kids beg for them and we give in? Or do we, the adults, think it's fun to buy Lunchables instead of a normal packed lunch? It's just weird and another sociological conundrum.

KDENISE977

My son won't eat anything for lunch that I pack that's healthy, I think it's because he sees his friends all with lunchables or bologna sandwiches and wants what everyone else has. I try and pack similar things, like whole wheat English muffin pizzas with turkey pepperoni or real turkey and swiss on whole wheat sandwiches, same result. He wants what the other kids are eating, CRAP. But I don't/won't do chips or candy unless it's for a treat or as a reward. I just recently bought a giant food processor to start hiding the good stuff in his meals. About the only lunch that doesn't get tossed is spaghetti :ohwell: which I jam FULL of tomatoes

MMM_donuts

I'm jealous that kids can eat that crap and burn it off better than adults. Their bodies are a little more forgiving.

I love pop tarts and would eat them if I didn't worry so much about getting fat, macronutrient content, and how the sugar is going to affect my energy levels and hormones. I haven't had a pop tart in years.

JeJeTe

Happiness
My 7 year old doesn't like bread, cheese, lunch meat, peanut butter or noodles. However, he will eat all vegetables and steak, chicken, fish, seafood until the cows come home.

His diet is naturally tends towards healthy but it's hard to pack some of that stuff in a school lunch.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
My 7 year old doesn't like bread, cheese, lunch meat, peanut butter or noodles. However, he will eat all vegetables and steak, chicken, fish, seafood until the cows come home.

His diet is naturally tends towards healthy but it's hard to pack some of that stuff in a school lunch.

:lmao: I'm sorry but your kid sounds like the gay vegan guys that freuent Newport RI

MMM_donuts

How serious is it when kids are picky eaters? That's a very nasty area of dietetics that I did not enjoy. No one wants to have a childless woman tell them that their kid needs to eat better and I was never able to figure out a good way to do it (luckily that was a temporary deal, not my specialty). There are, however, a lot of people that say a child will eat whatever you want them to if they are hungry enough. True/untrue?

Natron0915

My 3 year old will eat anything. His favorite food is raw tomatoes from the garden. He doesn't like junk (except for ice cream) and would rather eat green beans than spaghetti.

My 5 yr old...I think his habits are the genesis of this thread.

My 9 yr old...he eats what we eat, i.e. eats what we give him, even if it's not his favorite.

I stand by the fact that each kid is different and you have to try and find a balance between healthy and what they want to eat.

MMM_donuts

And, interestingly, there are a few theories regarding children being picky eaters.

One says that some children are super picky about eating only bland foods as a survival mechanism to not eat poisonous, typically sour or bitter, foods.

Another is that some kids will eat just about anything you feed them also as a survival mechanism to help them thrive in what used to be an environment with less food availability.

And then there's a bunch of behavioral stuff, too, regarding parenting, of course, but I thought the rest was interesting.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Both my kids have loved broccoli from the time they were toddlers. I personally am a very picky eater but I made sure to fix vegetables that I won't eat for my kids so they would eat them. When we'd go to restaurants, both my boys would ask the waiter/waitress to substitute the fries that came with their meal for broccoli or some other vegetable. The waiter/waitress would look at them like they were crazy. "You mean you don't want frires?? Oh, your parents must be forcing to you get broccoli, huh?" Kids would chime in that they wanted broccoli and didn't like fries. Again with the crazy looks.

I never made substitute meals for my kids. They ate what we ate and that was it. I would tell them that if they didn't like it after trying it, then the next time, they would only have to eat a few bites. Normally, by the next time I made something, they had forgotten they didn't like it the first time and ate everything. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My 5 yr old...I think his habits are the genesis of this thread.

Kinda sorta, but I was thinking in general the changes we make in our grocery shopping once we have kids - your thread just got me on that train of thought. Like I said, I did it too, but not sure why.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
And, interestingly, there are a few theories regarding children being picky eaters.

One says that some children are super picky about eating only bland foods as a survival mechanism to not eat poisonous, typically sour or bitter, foods.

Another is that some kids will eat just about anything you feed them also as a survival mechanism to help them thrive in what used to be an environment with less food availability.

And then there's a bunch of behavioral stuff, too, regarding parenting, of course, but I thought the rest was interesting.

I see, more often than not, that picky eaters are so bc of a control issue they're having with their parents. People don't believe little toddlers are as manipulative as they are. When they see what attention they get over the fuss they make over some broccoli? Well, let's see what kind of attention I can get the next night over some baked chicken! And bingo...your kid has you wrapped around his finger, and you're feeding into their little BS about "I don't likeee that" I can't effing stand those words. And now you're involved in a crazy power struggle with a 3 y/o. It's not about the food.

In my house, if you didn't like it...you could sit there and stare at your plate til bed time or...not eat. I never had that issue, I've always enjoyed all food :lol: took my stubborn little brother a couple tries to figure it out that my mother was not budging and she could give two shiats if he didn't eat it. That's what she was making and it was end of story. The only time we had a say in our food was if she asked us if we wanted broccoli or green beans with dinner....or what special meal we wanted for our birthdays :shrug:

KDENISE977

I asked my pediatrician because I know my son only wants snacks. His response was that kids pick a type of food and gravitate to it. My response was that he gravitated to crackers and smack type food(NOT chips). He said give him a Pediasure sidekick every week.

My son is also at the NO stage so anything we WANT him to do is met with resistance

JeJeTe

Happiness
How serious is it when kids are picky eaters? That's a very nasty area of dietetics that I did not enjoy. No one wants to have a childless woman tell them that their kid needs to eat better and I was never able to figure out a good way to do it (luckily that was a temporary deal, not my specialty). There are, however, a lot of people that say a child will eat whatever you want them to if they are hungry enough. True/untrue?

My kid isn't a fan of normal kid foods. He just in the last month began to like pizza.

I tried everything I could to get him to try new foods....sent him to bed with no dinner, promises of treats for even trying new foods (against the point, desperate, whatever), etc. And it just didn't work with him. He'd go hungry. He didn't want to try anything. It started about 3. And now at just over 7.5 is he now really opening his eyes to trying things. Sometimes it is just a matter of time and waiting them out.

And I coudln't press the issue a whole lot because the things he was/is eating are healthy. He loves spinach, kale, grilled chicken, fish, peppers, etc.

MMM_donuts

Kinda sorta, but I was thinking in general the changes we make in our grocery shopping once we have kids - your thread just got me on that train of thought. Like I said, I did it too, but not sure why.

Convenience? To please your kids by giving them something enjoyable? Because it's advertised that those are "kid foods"?

Those weren't particularly nutritious foods that you listed. How come you'd purchase them and give them to your children if you don't eat them? (No judgement here, just asking)

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My kid isn't a fan of normal kid foods. He just in the last month began to like pizza.

I tried everything I could to get him to try new foods....sent him to bed with no dinner, promises of treats for even trying new foods (against the point, desperate, whatever), etc. And it just didn't work with him. He'd go hungry. He didn't want to try anything. It started about 3. And now at just over 7.5 is he now really opening his eyes to trying things. Sometimes it is just a matter of time and waiting them out.

And I coudln't press the issue a whole lot because the things he was/is eating are healthy. He loves spinach, kale, grilled chicken, fish, peppers, etc.
My kids aren't into normal kid food or junk food either. I count it as a pleasing. Husband on the other hand loves the junk food so it's only in the house for his enjoyment. Kids and I aren't big on the cookies/ice cream/candy/etc.

pelers

Thank you for giving me hope. My 3yo is ridiculously picky. To an extent I work with it, if I make something for dinner that I think there's a snowflake's chance in hell that he'll eat, I serve it to him. If it's something I know he won't touch he gets oatmeal along with a plate of the stuff he won't touch (on the off chance that he will). If he doesn't eat, then he doesn't eat. It's incredibly frustrating.

I wish I knew what it stemmed from. With him I was that ridiculous mom who bought the all organic food pouches and made my own baby mush, tracked in spreadsheets what he ate and when so that if he had an allergic reaction I'd know what caused it. He's been picky from the get go. His little sister I said "screw it" and fed her whatever we were eating (within the limits of what she probably wouldn't choke on) and she's a FANTASTIC eater. Loves veggies, loves fruit, a little hit or miss with the dead animals. Will at least TRY anything we put in front of her (and she usually tries it several times just to make sure she hates it).

To the original topic of the thread, I don't think we started buying crap for the kids once we had them. If anything I started shopping healthier. We always have veggies in the house, fresh fruit. I think the only freezer food we have right now is some eggo waffles. There are probably more crackers now than there were before.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Those weren't particularly nutritious foods that you listed. How come you'd purchase them and give them to your children if you don't eat them? (No judgement here, just asking)

Because I thought I should? I don't know. It's not like I'd eat any of it, so not sure why I bought it for them. And this started happening before they were old enough to ask, so it was all on me. Maybe the advertising roped me in and I just used the kids as an excuse. :lol:

JeJeTe

Happiness
Thank you for giving me hope. My 3yo is ridiculously picky. To an extent I work with it, if I make something for dinner that I think there's a snowflake's chance in hell that he'll eat, I serve it to him. If it's something I know he won't touch he gets oatmeal along with a plate of the stuff he won't touch (on the off chance that he will). If he doesn't eat, then he doesn't eat. It's incredibly frustrating.

I wish I knew what it stemmed from. With him I was that ridiculous mom who bought the all organic food pouches and made my own baby mush, tracked in spreadsheets what he ate and when so that if he had an allergic reaction I'd know what caused it. He's been picky from the get go. His little sister I said "screw it" and fed her whatever we were eating (within the limits of what she probably wouldn't choke on) and she's a FANTASTIC eater. Loves veggies, loves fruit, a little hit or miss with the dead animals. Will at least TRY anything we put in front of her (and she usually tries it several times just to make sure she hates it).

To the original topic of the thread, I don't think we started buying crap for the kids once we had them. If anything I started shopping healthier. We always have veggies in the house, fresh fruit. I think the only freezer food we have right now is some eggo waffles. There are probably more crackers now than there were before.

I think it's more about the kid. When he started eating real food, he got exactly what we got. And was fine with it. The tables turned about 2.5-3 and suddenly things he liked, he didn't like anymore. Completely unwilling to even try even if I promised ice cream (yeah, yeah, bad mom, whatever) for him trying something. He refused. There is only so much you can do.

And it's frustrating as a parent because how and what they eat affects their mood and therefore your mood so much.

So have some hope, he'll outgrow. Keep offering new things. Don't stop. I tell him all the time that his taste buds change as he gets older so what he didn't like then, he might like now. And he has really surprised me with how open he is to try new foods lately. :smile: