What is there to do?

Restless

Hi! Our oldest daughter is doing her last semester of college online from home this fall. Other than doing school work and a few other things, like looking for a part time job, she has nothing much fun to do. What do other young singles in this area do for fun and socializing? She isn't a drinker so hanging out at bars isn't much of an option. She'd like to meet others in her age range (21).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Tito

Donkey Smell
Hi! Our oldest daughter is doing her last semester of college online from home this fall. Other than doing school work and a few other things, like looking for a part time job, she has nothing much fun to do. What do other young singles in this area do for fun and socializing? She isn't a drinker so hanging out at bars isn't much of an option. She'd like to meet others in her age range (21).

Any ideas? Thanks!

I am 34. Is she a hottie? :dye:

Hijinx

Monello, I hadn't even thought of that! Great idea! Thank you!!

The Fire Department and Rescue Squads are begging for people.

Day crews are hurting for people, and new folks have to pass a background check--that can be a plus.

inkah

The Fire Department and Rescue Squads are begging for people.

Day crews are hurting for people, and new folks have to pass a background check--that can be a plus.

This is what my young 20s daughter did until she moved. Good way to be productive, help the community and meet new friends :)

BernieP

Resident PIA
Problem isn't new, I've heard the same lament from new hires (fresh from college). Unless they came with a significant other the question always was, besides going to a bar, what's a single person to do?
One thing to check would be your church, they may have a group for young adults, while it will be a "small group" or Bible study, they often do other activities as a group.
Rescue Squad / Fire Dept was a good idea someone mentioned. Not only does it give back to the community, but she will meet people (other volunteers).
There use to be a couple of "coffee houses" that had gatherings. The only one that I can remember is, "My Brothers Place" but that was in Waldorf.
There was one that met in a catholic school up near country lakes development (yes, I'm bad with locations on that).
Coffee Quarter at one time had people perform on Friday or Saturdays - typically drew a young, but small crowd.

Good question, it's something that does affect retention of new hires (from out of the area).

Oh, does she like theater? Newtowne Players, Port Tobacco Players, not sure if there are others. She could get involved with one of those.

Last edited:

todd

Any ideas? Thanks!

Is she athletic? Can she play kickball? There's an adult co-ed kickball league starting in a couple weeks. Teams are always looking for good female players (mine included).

BernieP

Resident PIA
Is she athletic? Can she play kickball? There's an adult co-ed kickball league starting in a couple weeks. Teams are always looking for good female players (mine included).

Another good idea, almost everyone can play kickball but there are also co-ed adult soccer and othe sports.

JeJeTe

Happiness
right.... young single female going to a bar...

I'm 32 and single and go to a bar. Most of the time I'm meeting people there but I've walked in by myself before and end up knowing someone. You'd be surprised with how friendly people are too. If you tell a group of girls you are new to the area and ask to hang out for a bit, I doubt there would be an issue with that. :shrug:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I'm 32 and single and go to a bar. Most of the time I'm meeting people there but I've walked in by myself before and end up knowing someone. You'd be surprised with how friendly people are too. If you tell a group of girls you are new to the area and ask to hang out for a bit, I doubt there would be an issue with that. :shrug:

:otter:

:poke:

:elaine:

Toxick

Splat
You can still go to a bar and not drink. :shrug:

At least I've heard this anyways.

That's like going to a movie theater with your tablet computer, putting in headphones and goofing off SOMD.com the whole time.

(I was going to use a much filthier metaphor about taking a hot chick to bed, and then jerking off, but I'm trying to keep it classy here)

Restless

Thank you for the additional ideas. She is very queasy about seeing blood and/or needles, so the rescue squad won't work. She also doesn't have an athletic bone in her body! She does like to work out though, but monthly gym fees are pretty pricey. ugh! Good news! She just got a call a few minutes ago about a job interview, so maybe that will work out and help fill up some of her time. Thanks again!

acommondisaster

Humane Society's always looking for someone to walk dogs, give the animals attention. The elementary schools have reading programs that they need readers for, and I'll bet the rescue squad could find things for her to do that wouldn't have her going out on calls.

None as much fun as kickball, but all ways to meet people. Hope the part time job works out! My DIL worked at Wawa while she finished up her degree online and made a lot friends that way; both employees and customers.

Hope she gets the job! I was just about to post that if she has spare time in her schedule then she should be working somewhere!