The Pentagon Is Stuffing Caves in Norway Full of Tanks

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Source.

"The Pentagon is sending tanks, armored vehicles and containers full of other military gear to caves in Norway. It’s all for the U.S. Marine Corps, which wants to update and expand its Scandinavian stockpile.

The Corps has stashed weapons and equipment in the Norwegian countryside since the 1980s. With this setup, Marines can fly in and be ready for a fight in no time.

In addition, the Pentagon saves money by not having to keep a large force in Norway year-round. Washington already spends billions each year running huge bases across Europe."

"Earlier this year, Russian troops took control of Ukraine’s Crimea region. The Kremlin also is backing militant separatists fighting Kiev.

In response to all of this, Washington stepped up military exercises in Europe to help calm its friends and allies. The Marines have been heavily involved in this “European Reassurance Initiative,” now called Operation Atlantic Resolve."

Attachments

• marinesnorway.jpg
    marinesnorway.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 133

PeoplesElbow

And Norway probably balks at how much we spend on military and how they can spend more on social programs.....

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Ah ya, just like Japan, Germany and every other country we have a presence in, Norway is our partner in F-35.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ah ya, just like Japan, Germany and every other country we have a presence in, Norway is our partner in F-35.

But more relevant to our military relationships with Norway is the simple fact that we're both NATO members. As for F-35...it's looking pretty silly now; they might be able to "afford" a couple of them...if forced in to the deal. LOL.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
STOP IT, they will get about 50 jets. Just as your project moves along COSTs will change!!!!

:whistle: it's Norway we are talking about here..not only is it my "second home", I've been involved in building warships for the Norwegian Navy for about 25 years now. Nothing is ever set in stone over there (or here..).

The government submitted a formal request to the Norwegian Parliament today for approval to purchase six F-35s for delivery in 2017 and also laid out its plans for the country’s biggest ever defense acquisition.

Further purchases remain subject to annual approval by Parliament.

The plan accelerates the initial intended purchase date by one year but stretches the total delivery schedule out to 2024

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130426/DEFREG01/304260023/Norway-F-35-Deliveries-Begin-2017

Last edited:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
yes, 6 now and by END of their buy it will total 52ish..... and we will also look closely at integration of the their joint strike missle (JSM) in US jets..... Very cool weapon !!!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
yes, 6 now and by END of their buy it will total 52ish..... and we will also look closely at integration of the their joint strike missle (JSM) in US jets..... Very cool weapon !!!!

I headed, during the 90s, the only US group that helped develop and test the Skjold-class missile boats (the hull/platform side...not the combat systems) that were built/designed specifically to carry the NSM. Kongsberg is now taking that wonderful piece of missile weaponry and making it air-launch capable, yes. I hope we do buy some of them.

But I also understand Norwegian politics and defense procurements. That 6 F-35s is the only 6 that is "real". I'm not saying they won't buy more than 6; I'm sure they will. But I'd bet my last dollar that they'll never buy 52 of them.

Last edited: