What's your golf score?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Do you observe all the rules? Do you take mulligans? What about shots in the water or otherwise out of bounds? Do you enjoy playing?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I used to play to a legit 8 but I'd be lucky to break 95 now. Count 'em all.

The only rule I'd not follow is a blown T shot if I didn't play a provisional. If it was in the water without having crossed in bounds or lost or OB, I'd take a stroke and a drop instead of going back to the freaking T.

I love the game but, I hate it. It's the only thing I've ever done, besides marriage, that more effort didn't yield better results. :angel:

mamatutu

mama to two
I don't play. So my handicap is 50+, at least! :lol: My husband and son have 6 handicaps. They are good, and play whenever they can. My husband's arm injury doesn't seem to have impaired his play. He is happy about that!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I play for straight up fun. A good golf day is one where I had a blast playing. I make brilliant shots; I make absurd mistakes (like, how many freaking times do I need to remind myself head down and eye on the ball???); it's all good. If I have to take it seriously it won't be fun anymore because I don't enjoy being aggravated.

mamatutu

mama to two
I play for straight up fun. A good golf day is one where I had a blast playing. I make brilliant shots; I make absurd mistakes (like, how many freaking times do I need to remind myself head down and eye on the ball???); it's all good. If I have to take it seriously it won't be fun anymore because I don't enjoy being aggravated.

You are so right. I don't play, but love to ride along and watch. A very excellent game, and one that can be played well into the Golden Years; probably the only one, except maybe pool or ping pong. I love that it is known as the Gentleman's Game, or in your case, the Gentlewoman's Game. :lol:

Vince

Make some good shots, some not so good, but as long as I get out and play, I enjoy myself. A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Make some good shots, some not so good, but as long as I get out and play, I enjoy myself. A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work.

I'm glad I play golf with you and not someone who takes it too seriously and gets all jacked up about it. We do have fun :smile:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I used to think that. The game became so maddening to me that I really don't play anymore. Last time out was with my nephew who hits it like a young pro, just kills the ball, and I just give him pointers, caddy for him, just guy time. Way more enjoyable than when I was trying to play well. I just don't have a gift for the game so, it was always a grind.

Vince

I used to think that. The game became so maddening to me that I really don't play anymore. Last time out was with my nephew who hits it like a young pro, just kills the ball, and I just give him pointers, caddy for him, just guy time. Way more enjoyable than when I was trying to play well. I just don't have a gift for the game so, it was always a grind.
I don't know why, but I never get angry when I play. Golf is relaxing for me especially if it's a nice day out. This past Sunday on the golf course was beautiful. Hit some good shots, some not so good. Still trying to break 100, yeah, that's how bad I am. And for the most part, it's my aim that's hurting me, but I'll get better.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't know why, but I never get angry when I play. Golf is relaxing for me especially if it's a nice day out. This past Sunday on the golf course was beautiful. Hit some good shots, some not so good. Still trying to break 100, yeah, that's how bad I am. And for the most part, it's my aim that's hurting me, but I'll get better.

I envy you that! That's wonderful!

The bad shots just bug the crap out of me. I LOVE a nice, routine par where each shot was, not perfect but, along the lines of what was intended so, I'm good there. I just hit too many fat, too many thin and too many where a draw fades or a fade snap hooks. Drives me bonkers when I hit one that had nothing to do with the intention.

I enjoy playing scrambles still. They're fun.

Do you observe all the rules? Do you take mulligans? What about shots in the water or otherwise out of bounds? Do you enjoy playing?

My scoring has been terrible of late, really all this season. But I still very much enjoy playing, in large part for the comradery shared with my golfing buddies. We have a good time regardless of how well we play. Golf is such a great vehicle for people to enjoy each other's company - some casual conversation, a bunch of joking around, a little #### talking, a little moral support, some competitive spirit underlying everything, all while being out in nature actually doing something with your body and mind. I think enjoying the company and friendly competition too much is part of why I haven't been scoring as well as I feel like I could (i.e. if my focus stayed on scoring well), but I'll take the trade off. Every now and then I bear down and focus for most of the round and score pretty good, the rest of the time a few great shots per round is enough to leave me feeling good about the performance aspect of my game.

As for observing the rules, for the most part we do. No mulligans, count every stroke, OB or lost is stroke and distance, etcetera. But we do give short puts (a foot and a half maybe) and we do roll them in the fairways (mostly for consistency's sake given that, during the winter, fairway lies can be unreasonably inconsistent - if you hit it in the rough or a hazard you get what you get; but if you hit it in the fairway you should get a decent lie most of the time, that's the point of having different cuts). And we also play some tall grass areas as hazards (stroke penalty and drop rather than going back to the tee) just to keep things moving at a reasonable pace. With a larger group, it's a bit harder to enforce really strict rules conformance so we make those allowances.

Midnightrider

I used to play to a legit 8 but I'd be lucky to break 95 now. Count 'em all.

The only rule I'd not follow is a blown T shot if I didn't play a provisional. If it was in the water without having crossed in bounds or lost or OB, I'd take a stroke and a drop instead of going back to the freaking T.

I love the game but, I hate it. It's the only thing I've ever done, besides marriage, that more effort didn't yield better results. :angel:

pretty much the way i play. count them all, no mulligans, no gimmies longer than about 1 ft. what is the point in playing if you aren't going to observe the rules. You can have fun scoring poorly just as well as if you lie to yourself about the score.

Monello

PREMO Member
I got the ball through the windmill and into the pirate ship in one putt last vacation. :yahoo:

Were the windmill blades moving or stationary? If they were moving, it's much more impressive of a feat.

Monello

PREMO Member
I got a 53 today for 9 holes. I'm pleased. It's my 4th time golfing this century. I could have saved a few strokes on some really poorly hit wedges. Still no pars but I'm coming closer.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I got a 53 today for 9 holes. I'm pleased. It's my 4th time golfing this century. I could have saved a few strokes on some really poorly hit wedges. Still no pars but I'm coming closer.

I usually hit a 73 on a par 72 course.
But that was years ago.
I have witnesses.
Pete, Otter, Air ............ hell, all I remember that day is that they all came back to my house and drank all my great expensive beer.

Edit:
Nupe was there too.

Last edited: