9 Year Old Girl accidentally kills gun instructor.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Source.

"DOLAN SPRINGS, Ariz. (AP) — A 9-year-old girl accidentally killed an Arizona shooting instructor as he was showing her how to use an automatic Uzi, authorities said Tuesday.

Charles Vacca, 39, of Lake Havasu City, died Monday shortly after being airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, Mohave County sheriff's officials said.

Vacca was standing next to the girl at the Last Stop outdoor shooting range in White Hills when she pulled the trigger and the recoil sent the gun over her head, investigators said.

Authorities said the girl was at the shooting range with her parents. Her name was not released.

A woman who answered the phone at the shooting range said it had no comment. She did not provide her name."

Vince

The instructor who put an automatic weapon in the hands of a 9 year old is not very bright.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The instructor who put an automatic weapon in the hands of a 9 year old is not very bright.

That's not the issue. I am an NRA certified basic pistol instructor and one of the things that is simply part of the routine is ONE round at a time with beginners. It being an automatic has nothing to do with it.

Ostensibly, there was a parent involved who wanted their daughter to be able to experience this. Leaving aside the wisdom of this, an instructor can safely instruct a kid on the four rules, stance, aiming and firing IF the thing isn't too heavy.

This happened with an UZI and a kid not too terribly long ago, instructor killed as the recoil sent the thing up and out of control with a loaded mag.

Dumb dumb move.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
3 -5 rounds in the mag, not as full one :shrug:

I agree, not to bright ... maybe, MAYBE an AR or AK style weapon .... but a weapon not much bigger than a hand gun :crazy:

Pushrod

Patriot
Light gun with a lot of recoil and in full-auto, inexperienced shooter and an overzelous instructor definetly equals a disaster like this. The instructor should have been helping her hold the weapon until she was comfortable and ready to control the recoil. Sad he had to pay with his life for the oversight.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
you don't have the upper body mass and muscles ....

I expected a crack from you about me being not much bigger than the average 9 year old LOL - I had to downsize from a 45 to 380 because I can't handle the size and recoil of a 45.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:yeahthat: - I thought the same thing when I initially read that story. I am an adult and I can barely handle the recoil of a 45! How can a 9 year old handle an Uzi?

Physically, a kid can handle one. In 9mm recoil is very light, far less felt recoil than a 5" .45 The issue here is 'new student', not '9 year old child'. Proper instruction dictates ONE round at a time be loaded, period, so that the student can feel it and learn. After a few practice rounds, a 9 year old could handle one, assuming they displayed a comfort level and confidence in one round at a time firing, safely, with a full mag.

By one round, that means ONE in the mag, not one shot at a time. :buddies: