Militia darling Cliven Bundy is in the news again.....

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Source.

"The son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy pulled his five children out of Clark County, Nev. schools on Thursday after getting into a disagreement with administrators over the ability to carry pocketknives at school.

The five students are the grandchildren of Cliven Bundy, a rancher who has previously engaged in armed clashes with the U.S. government over the use of federal land.

The incident that sparked the removal involved Bundy's 15-year-old granddaughter whose school refused to allow her to bring a pocketknife to school, according to television station KSN

Her father, Ryan Bundy, disagreed with the school's labeling of the knife as a weapon and, per KSNV, said he has inculcated in his children the need to always carry a knife. His children affirmed his stance, saying that they utilize knives for chores but don't wield them as weapons.

"They're trying to make my child a criminal – and any other child a criminal – for simply having something, and that is not right," Bundy said.

Bundy said he hopes the administration will allow the pocketknives on campus so that the issue can be resolved, a sentiment his daughter echoes.

"I hope that somehow (sic) figures this out because I still would like to go to this school," she said. "I really don't want to be homeschooled."

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
It's rather difficult to play mumblety-peg at recess without a pocket knife. Just sayin'.

TPD

the poor dad
I have taught my daughter to always carry a pocket knife. She just started in the public school system this year - won't surprise me if she gets caught with one, but I would fight it like the Bundys as well because a pocket knife can be more useful than pen and paper sometimes and no more dangerous - a paper cut hurts worse than a pocket knife cut IMO.

musiclady

This isn't new. Many places consider a simple pocket knife a weapon. We had a boy scout in our troop who always had a very small pocket knife. Boy Scout motto is "be prepared." Well, he realized that after a weekend campout, he forgot to remove the pocket knife from his pants. When he arrived at school, he immediately went to the principal and turned in the knife and explained his mistake. He was expelled for the rest of the school year. Zero tolerence, etc.

Hijinx

Same here. I've carried a pocket knife since I was a kid along with matches or a lighter.

I used to carry a pocket knife also, but then I found that the new plastic box cutters with the blades that slide out are much sharper and they are lighter and when the blades get dull you just break it off and get a new sharp blade.. When you lose it a couple of bucks and you are back in business. Good pocketknives are expensive.
No, I am not kidding.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I used to carry a pocket knife also, but then I found that the new plastic box cutters with the blades that slide out are much sharper and they are lighter and when the blades get dull you just break it off and get a new sharp blade.. When you lose it a couple of bucks and you are back in business. Good pocketknives are expensive.
No, I am not kidding.
All of this is true, but there's something to be said for the beauty of a good crafted pocket knife. A box cutter is as utilitarian of a piece of equipment as you can get. Also there is something almost zen about the work required to get a good edge on a knife.

itsrequired

because a pocket knife can be more useful than pen and paper sometimes and no more dangerous - a paper cut hurts worse than a pocket knife cut IMO.

Seriously?

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...urder-suspect-used-pocket-knife-to-kill-uncle

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/04/17/possible-stabbing-at-sunrise-high-school/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itchen-knife-outside-school-bullying-him.html

I couldn't find any articles which told me someone was killed or seriously injured by a paper cut!

daileyck1

I have taught my daughter to always carry a pocket knife. She just started in the public school system this year - won't surprise me if she gets caught with one, but I would fight it like the Bundys as well because a pocket knife can be more useful than pen and paper sometimes and no more dangerous - a paper cut hurts worse than a pocket knife cut IMO.

A pocket knife is very useful, but not at school.

TPD

the poor dad
A pocket knife is very useful, but not at school.

Paper towel dispenser is jammed in bathroom - pocket knife to pull off cover and unjam.
The 'D' key is sticking on keyboard in library - pocket knife to pop that sucker off and clean it.
Pencil just broke during state testing & can't get up to sharpen - pocket knife to sharpen.
Just ran out of utensils in cafeteria - pocket knife to cut my food.
Science experiment with baler twine & duct tape - pocket knife to start over again.
That bully in 5th period - pocket knife to cut his balls off and feed them too him in 6th period lunch.

Yep lot's of uses in school for a pocket knife.

It is still the job of parents to teach responsibility & respect to their kids. We have dangerous weapons laws in Maryland already, so no need to write new laws covering pocket knives in schools. A simple search of pencil stabbings in school will show how dangerous a #2 can be...

daileyck1

Paper towel dispenser is jammed in bathroom - janitor
The 'D' key is sticking on keyboard in library - librarian
Pencil just broke during state testing & can't get up to sharpen - use other pencil or raise hand
Just ran out of utensils in cafeteria -never happen
Science experiment with baler twine & duct tape -teacher
That bully in 5th period - suck it up

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Paper towel dispenser is jammed in bathroom - janitor
The 'D' key is sticking on keyboard in library - librarian
Pencil just broke during state testing & can't get up to sharpen - use other pencil or raise hand
Just ran out of utensils in cafeteria -never happen
Science experiment with baler twine & duct tape -teacher
That bully in 5th period - suck it up

You seem to be more the "suck it up" type, I'll keep trying to changing things for the better.