Labor Day

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sometime ago I fell into a deal for a 1978 F-150 (300 6 cylinder) with a little over 55K original miles. I finally had acquired the parts I knew it would need, so today I replaced the rear brakes (drums, shoes, rebuilt the wheel cylinders, and all new hardware inside the drum), then replaced the motor mounts (left totally shot, right getting there), dropped the pan to the C6 tranny (new filter, pan gasket and fluid), replaced all hoses and belts (flushed radiator), replaced valve cover gasket, push-rod cover gasket, oil/filter change and rebuilt the 1 barrel carburetor. 11 hours total with only one trip to the parts store to get hardware for lower motor mount bolts (why they don't ship them with the new mounts I'll never know, cost $.98). Damn I hate holiday weekends. Tuesday I will tag it, insure it and get it through inspection. Right now heading to the tub to soak my aching body and get some of this grease and grime off of me. Good thing the wife is camping with her church group this weekend, it might be tomorrow before I get around to cleaning the tub.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Nice. Probably my all-time favorite pickup style; I've owned a bunch of those. That 300 is hard as nails.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Nice. Probably my all-time favorite pickup style; I've owned a bunch of those. That 300 is hard as nails.

Hell yeah it is. The geared timing system versus a chain makes it almost bullet-proof. The body is rough, real rough. The old codger I got it from used it on his spread and mostly as a wood hauler. Though I am not worried about its appearance I did want to get it road worthy and mechanically sound. I'm hoping to test it out in a few weeks and take it to northern Illinois to pick up an older ATV my sister is gifting to me.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hell yeah it is. The geared timing system versus a chain makes it almost bullet-proof. The body is rough, real rough. .

The '78 F-150 I have sitting here is a 4x4...and the 300 is down right now, waiting for me to fix the intake. The EGR plate rotted out. Sounds like I have the same "patina" on the body as is on yours. I only use mine as an emergency utility vehicle; has a snow plow on the front and a 15kw generator mounted in the back.

Ken King

PREMO Member
The '78 F-150 I have sitting here is a 4x4...and the 300 is down right now, waiting for me to fix the intake. The EGR plate rotted out. Sounds like I have the same "patina" on the body as is on yours. I only use mine as an emergency utility vehicle; has a snow plow on the front and a 15kw generator mounted in the back.

I wish this one was a 4X4 so I could put a plow on the front. I plan on using this as a secondary vehicle, so for the winter it will be a little weight over the wheels, snow tires, and chains. That ought to be enough to take me farther into trouble before I need help.

RPMDAD

Had a 1975 E - 100 Ford van bought it new for $3600.00, with the (300 6 cylinder) , 3 speed on the column, great engine, never had any problems with it. Think i had it for 10 - 11 years before getting rid of it. Took many a long distance road trip in it and had the BSA 650 in the back of the van with a wooden ramp to get it in and out. Never had a problem with that engine.