bicyclists, elite, sponsored I guess.....

GregV814

For another enjoyable ride today, turned to crap by the elite bicyclists blocking traffic, as usual. Look, I give you folks credit for excercising and usually staying alert, but some of you are quite the buttheads. Case in point: on Huntingtown Road, several cyclists did their best to stay to the right, but coming up the hill near the pond, some felt it their obligation to stay to the center as bodyguards for the others...and then GLARED at me as if I was offending them!! Oh you looked sharp dude, with some spandex sponsorship clothing and high heel spandex shoes...cant wear a T shirt??? Are you getting dressed up for the Lance Armstrong 200K ???? Can you sports ride around a parking lot and NOT on main thoroughfares and Route 4????

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Since when does impeding the flow of traffic a right, if a car did that they would get a ticket?

itsrequired

Since when does impeding the flow of traffic a right, if a car did that they would get a ticket?

You mean like farm tractors stupid? Why do you talk sh*t about things which you obviously have no knowledge? There is no law which prevents a bicycle from being on that road. How can they get a ticket for doing something which is legal? 21-804. Minimum speed regulation. (a) Slow speed impeding traffic prohibited.-Unless reduced speed is necessary for the safe operation fo the vehcile or other wise is in compliance with law, a person may not willfully drive a MOTOR vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.

Why is it most times you try to talk about things you know nothing about you end up putting your foot in your mouth. (That question is rhetorical. The answer is because you are stupid!) :howdy:

You mean like farm tractors stupid? Why do you talk sh*t about things which you obviously have no knowledge? There is no law which prevents a bicycle from being on that road. How can they get a ticket for doing something which is legal? 21-804. Minimum speed regulation. (a) Slow speed impeding traffic prohibited.-Unless reduced speed is necessary for the safe operation fo the vehcile or other wise is in compliance with law, a person may not willfully drive a MOTOR vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.

Why is it most times you try to talk about things you know nothing about you end up putting your foot in your mouth. (That question is rhetorical. The answer is because you are stupid!) :howdy:
Bicycles are considered vehicles in Maryland, and as such, cyclists must devote as much attention to riding a bike as they would when operating an automobile. Equally as important, motorists must allow cyclists the same respect and caution they would allow another automobile.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/safety/mhso/program-bicycle-safety.htm

Bicycles are considered to be motor vehicles, so they must follow all rules of the road, including impeding traffic. Yes, they are allowed on the roads, but it's not their exclusive domain just because they exist.

itsrequired

Bicycles are considered to be motor vehicles, so they must follow all rules of the road, including impeding traffic. Yes, they are allowed on the roads, but it's not their exclusive domain just because they exist.

No, they are not. I will direct you to 11-104, as well as 11-135 of the transportation article. They are two separate definitions. I will grant you that bicycles have to obey the rules of the road, but travelling at the speed they are designed to is not illegal. Neither is an Amish buggy or farm tractor.

No, they are not. I will direct you to 11-104, as well as 11-135 of the transportation article. They are two separate definitions. I will grant you that bicycles have to obey the rules of the road, but travelling at the speed they are designed to is not illegal. Neither is an Amish buggy or farm tractor.

:shrug: Ok. Get yourself run over. One less negative nellie on the forums.

itsrequired

:shrug: Ok. Get yourself run over. One less negative nellie on the forums.

I don't ride a bicycle. I'm a runner. I run in a pedestrian lane or the shoulder. I'm just pointing out what the law is. I don't know why you decided to correct me on something which you were wrong about.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'll start giving a #### about how bicyclists feel at the same time they start using the bike path they demanded we build in Town and stop riding 3 abreast the wrong way on Bay Ave. Not to mention riding against traffic on the other roads.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Wait, I thought they were pedestrians as vehicles have to stop for them when they want to cross a road, they roll through stop signs and ride facing traffic regardless if they are on the sidewalk or not.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
For another enjoyable ride today, turned to crap by the elite bicyclists blocking traffic, as usual. Look, I give you folks credit for excercising and usually staying alert, but some of you are quite the buttheads. Case in point: on Huntingtown Road, several cyclists did their best to stay to the right, but coming up the hill near the pond, some felt it their obligation to stay to the center as bodyguards for the others...and then GLARED at me as if I was offending them!! Oh you looked sharp dude, with some spandex sponsorship clothing and high heel spandex shoes...cant wear a T shirt??? Are you getting dressed up for the Lance Armstrong 200K ???? Can you sports ride around a parking lot and NOT on main thoroughfares and Route 4????

I applaud you for having such an otherwise happy, full life that the thing that bothers you is people violating your right of way riding bicycles while wearing clothing you disapprove of.

:clap:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
From the previous link

Traffic Laws for Bicyclists

Maryland law provides for the right-of-way of bicyclists, just as it does for the operators of motor vehicles. Bicyclists also have the duty to obey all traffic signals, signs and pavement markings, just as do drivers.

Riding in Traffic Lanes and on Shoulders

A bicyclist riding slower than the speed of traffic is confined to the right hand through lane (much the same way as a slow moving vehicle is) and as close to the right side of the road as is safe. A bicyclist can move further left to:
Make or attempt to make a vehicular style left turn
Pass a stopped or slower moving vehicle
Avoid pedestrians or road hazards.​
This ride-to-the-right provision does not apply when operating in a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle to travel safely side-by-side with another vehicle within the lane. The provision also does not apply where the right-hand lane is a turn lane, or the bicyclist is operating on a one-way street.

A bicyclist riding at the speed of traffic can operate in any lane, just as any other vehicle can..Where there is not a bike lane, a bicyclist may also use the shoulder of the roadway.

Bicycles may not be ridden in the travel lanes of any roadway where the posted maximum speed limit is more than 50 miles an hour; however, bicycles may be operated on the shoulder of these roadways.

Bicycles may not be operated on expressways (access-controlled freeways and interstate highways), except on an adjacent path or facility approved by the State Highway Administration.

Greg's complaint dealt, in part, with the "outriders" who elected themselves wardens and rode in the middle of the lane.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Greg's complaint dealt, in part, with the "outriders" who elected themselves wardens and rode in the middle of the lane.

Or, you could look at them as shepherds trying to protect their flock be it less experienced riders or people who might get winded and lose focus once in awhile. Either way, it's getting annoyed at people. Riding bikes. In funny looking cloths.

Were it so that I had so few problems that this is what I needed to vent about.

:buddies:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
They have just as much right to be there as you do.
:bs: When they pay road tax, have to register their blkes and have insurance, THEN they have as much right as I do. Until then the ass holes who ride in the road dangerously are but mere targets. :evil:

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
:bs: When they pay road tax, have to register their blkes and have insurance, THEN they have as much right as I do. Until then the ass holes who ride in the road dangerously are but mere targets. :evil:

I ride a bike, I do pay road taxes (for the cars and gas that I buy, even though I'm not driving them at the time. You, are just a dick.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I ride a bike, I do pay road taxes (for the cars and gas that I buy, even though I'm not driving them at the time. You, are just a dick.
No, you ass holes who ride dangerously on the roads are dicks. And WTF does your car have to do with riding, registering, insuring and paying road tax on a bike? I know it's a tough question but go ask mommy for help ok?

RPMDAD

Have seen multiple signs popping up around here . Two in Huntingtown, one on a 40 mph road with no shoulders and one in a 30 mph road with no shoulders.

bikesfulllanesign_mutcd2009_edit_606.jpg

Inkd

I pretty much gave up riding my bike around here cause of all the a$$hole drivers who can't obey the speed limit or basic traffic laws. In my younger days in Virginia Beach I used to ride with a chain and a large lock around my shoulders. I wore out quite a few windshields and mirrors during my time there.

I've mellowed in my older age.

RPMDAD

I have to agree with cheezgrits here i am sure most if not all the bicycle riders you see on the road also own cars and pay road taxes and and gas taxes. My son who is a student at Salisbury rides his bike to campus every day as a main mode of transportation since he lives in off campus housing by about 2 miles, he is not a recreational biker, and has no fancy bike clothes, says depending on the time of day or night, he tries to stay to the far right all the time, rides on the shoulders where possible, and if he is coming home from school later at night and the sidewalks are empty of people he will ride them as far as he can. PS he has a car and pays road taxes and gas taxes, just says it is more convenient and cheaper for him to ride his bike, does not have to pay for on campus parking permits.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I have to agree with cheezgrits here i am sure most if not all the bicycle riders you see on the road also own cars and pay road taxes and and gas taxes. My son who is a student at Salisbury rides his bike to campus every day as a main mode of transportation since he lives in off campus housing by about 2 miles, he is not a recreational biker, and has no fancy bike clothes, says depending on the time of day or night, he tries to stay to the far right all the time, rides on the shoulders where possible, and if he is coming home from school later at night and the sidewalks are empty of people he will ride them as far as he can. PS he has a car and pays road taxes and gas taxes, just says it is more convenient and cheaper for him to ride his bike, does not have to pay for on campus parking permits.
You son sounds like a courteous rider and I have no issue with those. I do feel bikes do not have the same right to the road that I do because they paid nothing to ride that bike on the road. Most down here own cars and pay the taxes. That gives them the right to drive the car on the road.

I find the stupidity appalling that any one would want to ride a bike on a narrow, shoulder-less road where 3,600 pound chunks of steel could end their life at any turn. Just because the law says they can doesn't make it smart.