How Can you fight a flawed system?

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Just so that I can do my best to give a brief synopsis of my life since June not for a pity party only to show what a shining example of how our system does not function in a proper way..

Yes, I admit that around 18 months ago that I received medical cards and a food stamp benefit for my children and I while I was on unemployment. I also received two months of Temporary Cash Assistance to assist in covering household costs since my children and I were forced to move in less than 30 days. These two payments = $1154.00 for August and September. I did also receive help with part of my deposit about 1/3rd.

I was enrolled as a fulltime college student when all this went down and in a desire too try and finish by degree as quickly as I could, I took student loans to cover my families expenses until summer. Yes, my food stamps were drastically cut but we did retain our medical. Granted we are a pretty healthy bunch and I would guess that total we have been to the Doctor about 15 times for the three of us. No ER or inpatient stays etc.

So in knowing that school was getting out I started hunting for a full time job. I was already dropping from Full Time school to Part Time. Well on June 2,2014 I broke my leg on a piece of rock that had become loose in the driveway. At first I figured it was a sprain yet the next day called and made an apt for June 4th. I had an x-ray done and was told it looked broken and to stay off of it until another radiologist could read the results. I received a call from my Dr. on June 5th that it was indeed broken and to stay off of it completely until I saw and Orthopedic doctor.

So off I go as I am the only one to drive me, I also had six two weeks sessions of band camp to take Katie to, grocery shopping, laundry and all of the other duties a single mom has all alone. My kids as much as they could and have adjusted to make shift meals versus the way I used to cook, still crave the three course meals.

Needless to say the Ortho doc put me out for 6 weeks but had me come back in two weeks, I got a moonboot and a walker and spent most of my time watching repeats of shows on USA. 2 weeks later more x-rays told to go back down and rest. Ha (easier said then done. This time I was told to come back in 30 days the very beginning of August. I was then told I was still healing but still needed to be off of my feet.

At this point out of pure frustration, I started crying and saying you have to let me get a job. I was losing everything, my savings were gone, I was selling things on ebay to get by and even pawned a few items just for gas in the car. Talk about feeling like a low life I was at almost 44 having worked from 12-42 a total 30 years and now I was past the point of desperation.

So the doctor put me on light duty only, I went back to Social Services and applied for TCA started a new program to enhance job skills and started searching for low income housing. Well the section 8 housing list is 9 years long and when I turned by application in the stack of requests to be entered was over 2 feet tall. I specifically asked to meet with the head of housing over two weeks ago and even though not only myself, but Ms. Abell the head of social services as well at Senator Dyson's office have called her and she has never so much as returned 1 call too anyone of us. (oh, her name is Tamika Scriber)

I have been to the housing office, the Three Oaks Ofices, close to a dozen times in the past month, I got the housing booklet, the available rentals sheet etc. I have visited over dozens of properties and even though one of them has a huge "Now Renting Banner" over the office door their apparently no vacancies for 4-6 months. The housing dept runs two buildings but without the magically golden voucher ticket you are out of luck. Lexwoods has buckets full of application and the woman who ran Great Mills Ct. has dropped off the earth, Not only is she not coming back, she apparently will not even divulge to the others that are stepping in for her to know where anything is or provide even the computer password.

Where in the heck is the culpability in this? So everyday I am either one of three places, housing, social services or an Apt complex. The qualifications also very from place to place. I have two three rings binders filled with this three ring circus stuff. So then Social Services tell me two weeks into my job program that there is no way I can world as I can barely walk or climb stairs. They want to ortho doc to re-evaluate me.

This happened last Monday and my fracture is worse, not better, They want to do surgery in a month as well as graft a bone from my tibia unless a miracle happens and to top it all off even though I know will get TCA which I was told I would have by Friday and still have not seen. The only other way they can help me is through a Family Unification program that I may or may not qualify but if I qualify I MAY get a housing voucher in 4-8 months.

In order to qualify for FUP I have to give my kids up (NOT HAPPENING) and even if I do I would lose all my benefits, medical, TCA, Food Stamps. How is any of this fair to me? So I guarantee that many may abuse the system but I don't know how.

So even after getting screwed over by a craigslist scammer. Where I had to file a police report I also had the displeasure of having landlord not only come to my door, yell and scream and call me nothing but white trash to my face while he threatened to throw out and destroy all of my children's belongings Monday morning if I was not out.

Well I kindly told him to leave my property, that my lease ends on September 30th, Social Services did offer to pay him but he refused and this fool has $2300.00 in a security deposits. He told me he had a lawyer and knew a cop and I had no idea who I was messing with.

In return he has no idea who I know or who he is messing with. So once again I had to call the police yet this time to report him as well as have the officer explain the rules and regulations of evictions. So tomorrow should be a real fun day.

The point of all of this is that Social Services and housing do not work together. In order to get any help you have to become heartbroken or break the hearts of others. I can't even take my two kids and myself unless I leave the county and drag them away from their school and friends because my son at 14 is too old to stay with my daughter and I.

I even requested a meeting to speak in from of the housing board and was told my call would be returned and it never was. You can guarantee that I will be as close to the front as I can with my children and anyone brave enough to stand by my side and support my kids and their rights. Yes, their rights not mine, at the next meeting of the County Commissioners meeting.

Anyone interested in joining me please pm me.

Last edited:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
The point of this post was to show that Welfare or being on it is no great ride. So for all of you that are working right now and paying your taxes, I am sorry but I think I made it quite clear that this is not a simple or easy way to go. Yes, you get drug tested, yes you are held to very strict standards and if you do not comply they boot you out and cut you off. So please keep in mind that there is no gravy train at the end of this line. Poverty is just that poverty and the ones who benefit the most have 10 kids and probably a drug dealer friend or hell they may be the drug dealers themselves. I don't know or care. Ask for stricter laws regarding dependent cut offs after 3 kids. I don't care but please do not blame or criticize me because I chose to not go out and move the first bum I could find in. Do any of you really think I want surgery, bone grafts, screws and plates and be homeless all in 30 days. I can assure you if you do think that you could not be any farther from the truth.

mamatutu

mama to two
Sorry, Tiger, for your troubles. My SIL recently had to ask for assistance because her husband died a few years ago, and didn't leave her in a good situation. Yes, she worked and lost her job. She was jumping through hoops all over the place, and received a pittance which has now expired. My thoughts, are she and you are not what the gov is looking for as far as assistance. They want the perpetual welfare recipients; multiple generations to further the agenda. Not the ones needing temp assist, and can't stand that they have to ask for it; like you, and my SIL. The ones (taxpayers) that fund the system find it hardest to get the assistance. And, yeah, Tommyjo, that is my humble opinion!

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
:smack: What is wrong with you? God forbid you ever need help one day.

Tigerlilly, I am sorry you are going threw so much and hope everything works out for you. :huggy:

I have Faith and that is all I can do it rely on it. No not having anymore kids, Hell I don't even date. For those on this board that know my kids and me, know in their souls I would do anything for them. I am not asking for a palace, a steak dinner or a swanky car. I am asking to live in the slums just so my kids can be close to their school, participate in the activities that they worked their tail feathers off to get into. Then I will have my surgery, recover and hopefully be able to be a productive member of society again.

Sorry, Tiger, for your troubles. My SIL recently had to ask for assistance because her husband died a few years ago, and didn't leave her in a good situation. Yes, she worked and lost her job. She was jumping through hoops all over the place, and received a pittance which has now expired. My thoughts, are she and you are not what the gov is looking for as far as assistance. They want the perpetual welfare recipients; multiple generations to further the agenda. Not the ones needing temp assist, and can't stand that they have to ask for it; like you, and my SIL. The ones (taxpayers) that fund the system find it hardest to get the assistance. And, yeah, Tommyjo, that is my humble opinion!

I guess I just don't know how to play the game. And the naysayers, I just ignore them. I have too much going on to worry about them. The point of this post is that many people on welfare do not want to be, they have no choice. It is the most shameful thing in the world to have to ask others for help. So please don't lump us all in one group. At least I admit it and stated my reasons. So many others ride the system, criticize it and lie about being on it.

The whole point of this post was that on any given day we can all end up in the same place. So please don't knock the one's that are trying.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
I have Faith and that is all I can do it rely on it. No not having anymore kids, Hell I don't even date. For those on this board that know my kids and me, know in their souls I would do anything for them. I am not asking for a palace, a steak dinner or a swanky car. I am asking to live in the slums just so my kids can be close to their school, participate in the activities that they worked their tail feathers off to get into. Then I will have my surgery, recover and hopefully be able to be a productive member of society again.

I guess I just don't know how to play the game. And the naysayers, I just ignore them. I have too much going on to worry about them. The point of this post is that many people on welfare do not want to be, they have no choice. It is the most shameful thing in the world to have to ask others for help. So please don't lump us all in one group. At least I admit it and stated my reasons. So many others ride the system, criticize it and lie about being on it.

The whole point of this post was that on any given day we can all end up in the same place. So please don't knock the one's that are trying.

Just to be clear, I am on your side as proven by my post to you. I feel bad you are in this situation. In my time here and talking to you via phone, I have always thought you were a very strong person with a good "attitude". :lol: I know things seem bleak, but all works out. I have no doubt you will come out on top. Hang in there. And, you know this forum has many compassionate members, if you ever feel that you are in dire need of help. Good luck with it all, and keep us posted how it goes for you. :huggy:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
Just to be clear, I am on your side as proven by my post to you. I feel bad you are in this situation. In my time here and talking to you via phone, I have always thought you were a very strong person with a good "attitude". :lol: I know things seem bleak, but all works out. I have no doubt you will come out on top. Hang in there. And, you know this forum has many compassionate members, if you ever feel that you are in dire need of help. Good luck with it all, and keep us posted how it goes for you. :huggy:

I didn't think were anything but supportive. Sorry, I tend to try and sum it all up and in retrospect and I can how some should think my response was directed at you. This is indeed not the case. I agree with your observations and always try to remember that the only person's judgment I ultimately need is that of God.

acommondisaster

I can totally identify with you. We have a house we rent out section 8 in Waldorf. We've had the same renter for nearly 5 years and everything has been "ok". We wish she'd been able to see how much we loved the house and treated it that way, too, but she is a "tenant" with no stake in the home, not even her own rent. But I digress - this last inspection, she needed to replace a couple of doors. She went out and bought the doors and my husband helped her, showing her how to hang them.

4th of July weekend, we got frantic calls from her - the housing office was terminating her voucher because she didn't replace the doors. Why she didn't have a receipt from buying the doors, I don't know or care - anyone inspecting could see that they are new. My husband called the housing office to try to straighten things out for her and was told they couldn't talk to him until "after the hearing".

So a week later, we hear that she's definitely lost her voucher. My husband tells her he thinks she's had a great injustice done to her and to start making phone calls - to different charities to get the rent and to her county commissioner, her state representative, her congressman, etc. She let us know a few days later she'd come up with the rent and was expecting a call back from O'Malley's office. She really had put her mind to it and made a bunch of calls! A few days later HUD called us and my husband confirmed that the tenant had replaced the doors (they asked "she replaced them - not you?) and they seemed happy when they hung up. A few days later we heard that the county housing office overrode HUD and denied her voucher.

It boggles my mind. Why would they do this? Now we have a tenant we have to evict, she and her kids need a place to live, and we're going to have quite a few expenses to get the house to an acceptable level to rent Section 8 again - while we aren't collecting rent. No one "moves up" on the housing list, it's just one less affordable house accepting Section 8 on the list. There's no fighting the government - they protect themselves with so many layers of beauracracy that no one can wade through it all - and certainly not someone who cannot make it a full time job to maneuver their way through all the mire.

We've had a tough time of it ourselves, lately. My husband lost his job because they would no longer make accommodations for the care of our handicapped daughter by letting him arrive 45 minutes late (even though he worked way past 8 hours every day) and he had to take a job further away for nearly half the pay. Our other renter decided in June that she was having panic attacks paying bills and moved out, two months in arrears. That's rented again, but we've been stretched to the limit. We'll muddle through, but this latest with the housing office is unnecessary - and the hardest to fight. There's no one to listen and there doesn't seem to be anyone who actually cares. They seem to have it out for our renter, without regard to the consequences for all involved. I don't know when common sense was thrown out.

Tigerlilly, I am sorry to hear about your predicament, but I can certainly sympathize with you. I don't understand why it a housing office would have trouble processing forms that they came up with in a timely manner. I don't understand how things get shuffled from one desk to another. I believe they should be made to, once every 3 months, stand in the same lines, fill out the same forms, and go through the same process they are requiring the people THEY SERVE to go through. Maybe then things would change. I hope things work out for you.

mamatutu

mama to two
Wow, acd, you have witnessed it on both sides, now. Quite a story. The one thing that struck me in your post is your reference to 'layers of bureaucracy. That is so true. But, the ones that create this mire live in their ivory towers; untouched by the common American. They love their cake, but don't share it in the correct way. I still think there is an ultimate agenda, and then throw in government workers (at all levels) that are too lazy to do their jobs. The number of government workers is astounding, anymore. Get out and vote, y'all. It is the only chance we have for change. Maybe, there are some 'good guy' politicians out there. All we can do is try.

intertidal

Good luck Tigerlily. I agree there is a problem with the system that is supposed to be there to help. By coincidence, I had an interview last week with a gov't agency that would have meant a raise for me and an opportunity to do some good and help people. But the interview produced some odd follow-up or "clarification" questions because I apparently have a bad reputation for always doing right - a red flag. I was asked if I could be objective and dispassionate. I knew what they were really asking - "will you be as uncaring as we are". I basically blew the interview by telling them that I worked for the people of the state and would not "go along". I then added that sacrificing my integrity to keep this or any job was not worth the price. I expect to be notified this week that someone else got the job. Too few people risk it all to stand up to authority and say they will not be intimidated from doing the right thing. At my age, I can afford to say such things. I feel sorry for those who cannot.

mitzi

Yes, all it takes is the loss of a job and/or medical issues. I feel for you, I was in a similar situation once but luckily it worked out at the last minute and I was okay. What is this Family Unification Program? Do you mean you have to be separated and living apart from your children due to homelessness to possibly qualify for it?
This is really sad. You do know that the Landlord is required to go thru the court in order to evict you I'm sure. Let him file for the rent, go to court and explain to the judge that Social Services was willing to pay your rent and he refused it. The judge may want an explanation from him as to why he refused a payment. If he does grant the judgement, appeal it or ask for more time before an eviction is scheduled. If nothing else, it will give you a few more weeks to live there and more time to work on a solution. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope it works out for you.

mitzi

I can totally identify with you. We have a house we rent out section 8 in Waldorf. We've had the same renter for nearly 5 years and everything has been "ok". We wish she'd been able to see how much we loved the house and treated it that way, too, but she is a "tenant" with no stake in the home, not even her own rent. But I digress - this last inspection, she needed to replace a couple of doors. She went out and bought the doors and my husband helped her, showing her how to hang them.

4th of July weekend, we got frantic calls from her - the housing office was terminating her voucher because she didn't replace the doors. Why she didn't have a receipt from buying the doors, I don't know or care - anyone inspecting could see that they are new. My husband called the housing office to try to straighten things out for her and was told they couldn't talk to him until "after the hearing".

So a week later, we hear that she's definitely lost her voucher. My husband tells her he thinks she's had a great injustice done to her and to start making phone calls - to different charities to get the rent and to her county commissioner, her state representative, her congressman, etc. She let us know a few days later she'd come up with the rent and was expecting a call back from O'Malley's office. She really had put her mind to it and made a bunch of calls! A few days later HUD called us and my husband confirmed that the tenant had replaced the doors (they asked "she replaced them - not you?) and they seemed happy when they hung up. A few days later we heard that the county housing office overrode HUD and denied her voucher.

It boggles my mind. Why would they do this? Now we have a tenant we have to evict, she and her kids need a place to live, and we're going to have quite a few expenses to get the house to an acceptable level to rent Section 8 again - while we aren't collecting rent. No one "moves up" on the housing list, it's just one less affordable house accepting Section 8 on the list. There's no fighting the government - they protect themselves with so many layers of beauracracy that no one can wade through it all - and certainly not someone who cannot make it a full time job to maneuver their way through all the mire.

We've had a tough time of it ourselves, lately. My husband lost his job because they would no longer make accommodations for the care of our handicapped daughter by letting him arrive 45 minutes late (even though he worked way past 8 hours every day) and he had to take a job further away for nearly half the pay. Our other renter decided in June that she was having panic attacks paying bills and moved out, two months in arrears. That's rented again, but we've been stretched to the limit. We'll muddle through, but this latest with the housing office is unnecessary - and the hardest to fight. There's no one to listen and there doesn't seem to be anyone who actually cares. They seem to have it out for our renter, without regard to the consequences for all involved. I don't know when common sense was thrown out.

Tigerlilly, I am sorry to hear about your predicament, but I can certainly sympathize with you. I don't understand why it a housing office would have trouble processing forms that they came up with in a timely manner. I don't understand how things get shuffled from one desk to another. I believe they should be made to, once every 3 months, stand in the same lines, fill out the same forms, and go through the same process they are requiring the people THEY SERVE to go through. Maybe then things would change. I hope things work out for you.

Why did they deny her voucher if the repairs were made? I hope she's still fighting this for her sake and yours.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
you should try getting off of Welfare ....

some yrs ago I was on Medical Assistance and food stamps, I was happy to inform them

'I have a JOB, you can cancel the benefits'

'Nope, we need to see 3 pay stubs before we will remove you from the rolls'

:confused:

huh ?

yep .... it took another 8 weeks to actually get off of Welfare

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The system is ####ed. We've allowed it to get so big and so intrusive that it no longer works.

Tiger, the reason you don't know how to play the system is because that's not how you live. It's not what you grew up with and not what you want for your kids. People who are second or third generation welfare gaming the system, those people live like trash because they are trash and that's all they've ever known. It doesn't phase them to steal, or have bill collectors hounding them, or to have their kids beg for food on the streets because Mommy is to drunk/stoned to get out of bed.

The welfare system was designed to be a helping hand for those who are temporarily down on their luck for whatever reason. Carry you through while you find a job, get an education, and can support yourself. What it's turned into is a slave system where once you are on the dole it becomes almost impossible to get off. The government baits that trap with food, housing, money, and health care, then the second you step in to pick up your goodies they pull the chain and down you go into the pit.

Salvador

One Nation Under God
you should try getting off of Welfare ....

some yrs ago I was on Medical Assistance and food stamps, I was happy to inform them

'I have a JOB, you can cancel the benefits'

'Nope, we need to see 3 pay stubs before we will remove you from the rolls'

:confused:

huh ?

yep .... it took another 8 weeks to actually get off of Welfare

Damn. Ride that system boy. Ever hear of getting a damn job. Don't you cry and bitch about people riding the system? Pots and kettles?

:killingme :killingme :killingme

:popcorn:

When we were foster parents, we heard all sorts of horror stories - we *lived* the stories of generational welfare recipients who seemed to get it all handed to them yet had nicer phones than we did, and heard about the truly down-on-their-luck people whom the system let down. One story was of a single mom who was going to college and working full time, but needed help with child care to make it all work. So, she applied for child care vouchers. BUT - she couldn't qualify for those w/o receiving TCA or something like that...and in order to get that, she had to quit her job. Yes - in order to qualify for childcare, she had to quit her job and take more benefits than she actually needed b/c the qualifications for the systems were so intertwined.

I don't know how it ended up working out - but I could see it creating another welfare deadbeat.

acommondisaster

Why did they deny her voucher if the repairs were made? I hope she's still fighting this for her sake and yours.

We wish we knew. When my husband talked to HUD, they seemed satisfied. It was the county housing office that overrode them. How can that be?! Not sure what the status is as of today. Just know we haven't seen rent money from her for the month. :-/

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Have you made any progress in finding some place to live? What about a women's shelter up in Prince Frederick? Project Echo...or something like that. Catholic Charities up in Hughesville. If I was still up there I would give you a place to crash because I have a heart...but unless you come to Charleston there isn't much I can do.

luvmygdaughters

When we were foster parents, we heard all sorts of horror stories - we *lived* the stories of generational welfare recipients who seemed to get it all handed to them yet had nicer phones than we did, and heard about the truly down-on-their-luck people whom the system let down. One story was of a single mom who was going to college and working full time, but needed help with child care to make it all work. So, she applied for child care vouchers. BUT - she couldn't qualify for those w/o receiving TCA or something like that...and in order to get that, she had to quit her job. Yes - in order to qualify for childcare, she had to quit her job and take more benefits than she actually needed b/c the qualifications for the systems were so intertwined.

I don't know how it ended up working out - but I could see it creating another welfare deadbeat.

Doesn't surprise me, when my ex SIL left my daughter and two granddaughters, my daughter applied for help. She was working full time but needed some help temporarily. She was basically told if she quit her job, she could get all the help she needed. Tigerlily, you don't know how to work the system because you don't want to be in the system. Simple as that. I hope things start turning around for you and your family.