California to force Catholic Colleges to pay for abortion

BOP

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...-Forces-Catholic-Colleges-to-Pay-for-Abortion

Thanks to a reversal by Governor Jerry Brown’s administration, two Catholic universities, Santa Clara and Loyola Marymount, have now been prevented from offering insurance plans for their employees that refused coverage for “elective” abortions and only permitted abortions if the woman’s life were in danger or her health could be severely damaged, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

Brown’s administration had previously allowed such plans to be available; Loyola Marymount had put that policy into place in January, while Santa Clara was to follow suit next year.

But now Brown’s administration has caved to abortion-rights advocates and leaders of the Legislature's Women's Caucus, claiming it is only following state law that forces health insurance plans to cover all abortions. On Friday, the Department of Managed Health Care sent letters to the insurance companies for both universities claiming that if the insurance companies offered the plans barring abortions, they would violate a 1975 state law that forces group health plans to cover all basic services. Those “basic services” are explained by the legalese as those that are “medically necessary."

So what about the other Catholic institutions? I can think of at least a couple off the top of my head; St. Mary's in Moraga (near San Fransisco) and the University of San Diego.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Waiting for all the good catholics that voted for obama to chime in. My opinion - every church-based college or university that states the Bible as their source of belief needs to stand their ground and refuse to comply.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Waiting for all the good catholics that voted for obama to chime in. My opinion - every church-based college or university that states the Bible as their source of belief needs to stand their ground and refuse to comply.

The term "good Catholics who voted for Obama" is an oxymoron...

What I wonder, is where are all of the Protestant churches on this matter? Like abortion, traditional marriage, etc., the RCC is publicly front and center. I don't see at the national level Protestant leadership making noise. This is another problem with having 33,000 denominations--no unified voice.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
How many procedures are we talking about? Millions? Hundreds? A few dozen?

I can't imagine a whole lot of heathens work for catholic schools. I think both sides should compromise, you know, like they want to do on illegal immigration.

Hijinx

How many procedures are we talking about? Millions? Hundreds? A few dozen?

I can't imagine a whole lot of heathens work for catholic schools. I think both sides should compromise, you know, like they want to do on illegal immigration.

Freedom in this Country aint what it used to be.

Freedom of Religion is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, as is Free Speech, and the violations of the 2nd. Amendment by allowing guns but backdooring us by making one get a permit to buy ammunition.

The US is a dying nation.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

What I wonder, is where are all of the Protestant churches on this matter? Like abortion, traditional marriage, etc., the RCC is publicly front and center. I don't see at the national level Protestant leadership making noise. This is another problem with having 33,000 denominations--no unified voice.

We are absolutely against it, and like you and yours, we have "liberal sects and organizations" aligning under the name of Protestant (or Catholic), that go against Biblical teachings just so they can feel good about themselves.

I'll reserve my comments on the stance of the rcc on this topic until the results of that large survey late last year are revealed at the next big synod sometime in October and/or November.

Does look like another USSC decision for those catholic white guys to decide on again.

Last edited:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
As the article states, the law prevents the universities from offering health insurance plans that don't cover intentional murder of unborn children. The obvious solution for the universities and their employes is for the universities to stop offering health plans. Let them pay the employees that value that would be used to purchase a group health program and let the employees do their best (perhaps through an organization made of up employees) to purchase appropriate health insurance.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The obvious solution for the universities and their employes is for the universities to stop offering health plans.

I am pretty sure that would result in another lawsuit by the government

Vince

:yeahthat: :lol:

itsrequired

Freedom in this Country aint what it used to be.

Freedom of Religion is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, as is Free Speech, and the violations of the 2nd. Amendment by allowing guns but backdooring us by making one get a permit to buy ammunition.

The US is a dying nation.

I know right? You got some people who call themselves conservatives calling for U.S. citizens to be watched because of their religion.
I am saying we need to be watchful of Muslims wherever they are in this country.

I am saying they got away with doing this in England because people refused to be watchful of Muslims because they were afraid of accusations of racism and of being anti-Muslim.

I am talking about anyone calling themselves a Muslim.

Stop accepting Islam as a religion.

outlaw Burkas and other outlandish Islamic garb.

So much for that constitution thingy.