25 survive helo crash at sea

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I heard the chip detector light came on right before so I am guessing engine FOD was the issue. Will be interesting to find out what the EI will reveal.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I heard the chip detector light came on right before so I am guessing engine FOD was the issue. Will be interesting to find out what the EI will reveal.

I know what FOD is, but what is the chip detector light - does it indicate something sucked up into the engines?

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I guess proper term is chip indicator lights. Each engine has a chip detector in the engine accessory gear box that will cause chip indicator lights on the instrument panel to go on when chips in the lubrication system are detected. If an internal component is starting to go bad, little chips of metal can be found in the oil and the detector can pick up on it if it comes in contact with the detector.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I guess proper term is chip indicator lights. Each engine has a chip detector in the engine accessory gear box that will cause chip indicator lights on the instrument panel to go on when chips in the lubrication system are detected. If an internal component is starting to go bad, little chips of metal can be found in the oil and the detector can pick up on it if it comes in contact with the detector.

What does it do when it detects chips in the oil? Tell you you're gonna crash?

"in the open sea"?????? Isn't that what the nav does 24/7/365? Love those headlines, and thankful all are ok..

No, they also fly and train over land. Air to air combat at Yuma MCAS is where I used to work. Crashes were not uncommon. Probably one per year anyway.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
What does it do when it detects chips in the oil? Tell you you're gonna crash?

Tells you something internal is bad. Spur gears was an issue awhile back. Had a friend in an MH-53 when one went bad and it went down into the water. Lucky for them, everyone made it out okay before it sunk.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tells you something internal is bad. Spur gears was an issue awhile back. Had a friend in an MH-53 when one went bad and it went down into the water. Lucky for them, everyone made it out okay before it sunk.

I guess my question is, when it warns you, do you have much time???

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I guess my question is, when it warns you, do you have much time???

I really do not know. I think of it like an idiot light that comes on saying low oil in a car, usually too late. Might last a good while, might last 5 minutes. Depends how bad it is inside.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I really do not know. I think of it like an idiot light that comes on saying low oil in a car, usually too late. Might last a good while, might last 5 minutes. Depends how bad it is inside.

I don't know a thing about which is why I am asking. I would like to think on a helo it's a good bit more specific a warning than that of a passenger car. So, that's why it interested me because it would be cool to have a gauge like that that was able to say 'hey, you probably have less than 10 minutes' vs. something in my Tundra that says "at some point, you might want to take this thing in for a check up'.

:buddies:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I don't know a thing about which is why I am asking. I would like to think on a helo it's a good bit more specific a warning than that of a passenger car. So, that's why it interested me because it would be cool to have a gauge like that that was able to say 'hey, you probably have less than 10 minutes' vs. something in my Tundra that says "at some point, you might want to take this thing in for a check up'.

With your Tundra you are already on the ground. What do you do when you get the "Brake" light on in your truck? I bet heading out on the beltway at full speed isn't what you do.

The CH-53 has a bunch of chip detectors, they have them for the engines, nose gearbox, main gearbox, auxiliary gearbox, and tail rotor/intermediate gearbox. Each means a different point of failure is likely once the detector indicates metal present in the oil. NATOPS will specifically dictate the required action of a flight crew that experiences such indications. Usually it is land immediately.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
No, they also fly and train over land. Air to air combat at Yuma MCAS is where I used to work. Crashes were not uncommon. Probably one per year anyway.

Yeah I know that. I guess I should have used the sarcasm thingy about the headline. I spent 2.5 years of my four year hitch in the Nav high in the Eritrean mountains about 50 miles from the Red Sea. That was great duty, for sure.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
With your Tundra you are already on the ground. What do you do when you get the "Brake" light on in your truck? I bet heading out on the beltway at full speed isn't what you do.

The CH-53 has a bunch of chip detectors, they have them for the engines, nose gearbox, main gearbox, auxiliary gearbox, and tail rotor/intermediate gearbox. Each means a different point of failure is likely once the detector indicates metal present in the oil. NATOPS will specifically dictate the required action of a flight crew that experiences such indications. Usually it is land immediately.

I would think the more chip detectors the better on any aircraft, for sure.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:lmao: Drone Interdiction Unit.

Hey, that IS coming. There will be some enormous 8 wheel drive IED proof monstrosity left over from Iraq War IV that will shut down every electronic signal for miles around so they can go toss a flash bang in a crib in the utmost safety and security. It's all about getting home safe that night. #### a bunch of serve and protect.