Middle Class JOE [Lunchbox]

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Joe Biden rebrands himself ‘Middle Class Joe’, angles for 2016 in Labor Day speech

“Biden has just come out with his strategy,” Glenn said. “And, of course, because we’re talking about… Joe Biden it’s a genius strategy.”

As the Associated Press reported, Biden took a populist tone in his speech saying workers aren’t looking for a handout but a “chance.” He proceeded to brand himself a champion for the middle class.

BIDEN: You notice they always refer to me in the press as ‘Middle Class Joe,’ and my colleagues can tell you, in Washington that’s not viewed as a compliment. That means you’re not sophisticated. Okay?

When I get asked by the press: Why am I always talking about middle class? Why am I not talking about poor people or good, wealthy people? Well, let me tell you: If the middle class is doing fine, everybody does fine. The wealthy – the wealthy get very wealthy. The poor – they have a way up.

But here’s the most important thing people are only now beginning to focus on. And, I mean not just progressives, not just Democrats, but everybody is starting to get it here and around the world, that the middle class is the reason why America, unlike any other nation in the 20th century into the 21st century, has been so stable economically, politically, and socially.

In case you were wondering, a quick Google search will shed some light on the root of the “Middle Class Joe” moniker. It was Biden himself who coined the term. In several stories, CNN has written something along the lines of “he often dubbed himself ‘Middle Class Joe.’” CBS News has also attributed the phrase to Biden.