telescope

TGB

I am starting to pick up astronomy as a hobby and would like to know, what is the best telescope to buy. I don't want a cheap one nor do I want an expensive one. TIA

R

rhenderson

Check out the Southern Maryland Astronomical Society:

http://www.smas.us/html/Programs.html

They have fairly regular observing sessions at the Nanjemoy Creek Environmental Center in western CC. However, their members come from all areas of So MD and they often have "star parties" at various schools.

Contact them - get to know some of their members. You will find a wealth of knowledge and lot of experienced observers that will give you good advice on types and kinds of scopes and accessories. In astronomy, like all hobbies, it helps to have access to knowledgeable experienced participants for advice on what and what not to buy.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I have a nice one but I wish I'd gotten an automatic one so we didn't have to keep adjusting it. The automatic ones are cool because the software lets you type in what you want to see and then it moves it there.

Pushrod

Patriot
I've got a 20" aperture Teeters Dobsonian with GoTo features. Its a great deep space viewing scope and you get a lot of mirror for the price with a dobsonian. Teeters dobs are some of the best looking telescopes on the market in my opinion. Check them out.