iPhone 6 and iWatch 1

MMM_donuts

I gotta have one of each!

It's my turn to upgrade my phone this year!! :dye:

I have a bluetooth watch, a Pebble. It's handy but I don't know that I'd spend a whole lot of money on a new iPhone one. It's my understanding that it's simply a bluetooth relay from your phone. Does it do anything innovative?

kathmorgan12

I've been reading some articles on iPhone 6 and its specs and it really interests me to get one someday. What hesitated me though is because I still have my mobile phone which I recently bought and it wasn't that cheap. I'll probably save for now and decide what's my next course of action later.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Leave it to Apple to bring new and innovative ideas to the market, except they have already been out for a few years with other manufacturers.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Leave it to Apple to bring new and innovative ideas to the market, except they have already been out for a few years with other manufacturers.

so what device was already out when the iPod was released ?

what all in one Computer was out when the iMac was released ?

What computer was for sale with a GUI when Macintosh was released ?

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
so what device was already out when the iPod was released ?

what all in one Computer was out when the iMac was released ?

What computer was for sale with a GUI when Macintosh was released ?

There where numerous MP3 players on the market prior to the Ipod release. IMO the Imac was hideous, and I wasnt born yet when the first Mac was released. Research shows that Xerox had something on the market 3 years prior.

My statement is going towards the smartphone market. Apple has lost their innovation foothold that they once had, and while Apple fanboys always said they did not need a large screen, a big Apple phone comes out and fan boy just made a mess in their pants. I like a lot of the things Apple has done, and I have respect for what they have done for various computer and entertainment markets.

Also want to add, I know several Apple users who discounted the Samsung watch and other variants as useless gadgets. Now that Apple has one released, they can't stop talking about how amazing and innovative it is.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There where numerous MP3 players on the market prior to the Ipod release.

- indeed, I took a stab in the dark, Apple does innovate, not in this case ... Digital Media Players

IXI [not MP3]

The Audible Player - not MP3 more of a digital voc-recorder

SaeHan/Eiger MPMan - 1st 'MP3' Player files were transferred via the Parallel Port ... Korean - eclipsed by the

The RIAA's Associate Director of Anti-Copyright infringement initially said the MPMan had "no function other than playing material that was stolen from record companies". He later said it was "a unique device. It's something that we haven't seen on the market before".[2][5]​

then came the Diamond Multimedia - Rio PMP300 made famous by the RIAA lawsuit

Legal disputes[edit]
On October 8, 1998, the American recording industry group, the Recording Industry Association of America, filed an application for a Temporary Restraining Order to prevent the sale of the Rio player in the Central District Court of California, claiming the player violated the 1992 Audio Home Recording Act. See RIAA v. Diamond Multimedia.

Judge Andrea Collins issued the temporary order on October 16, but required the RIAA to post a $500,000 bond that would be used to compensate Diamond for damages incurred in the delay if Diamond eventually prevailed in court. Diamond then announced that it would temporarily delay shipment of the Rio.

On October 26, Judge Collins denied the RIAA's application.[3] [4] On appeal, the Ninth Circuit held that the Rio's space shifting was fair use and not a copyright infringement.[5]

After the lawsuit ended, Diamond sold 200,000 players.[6]

HanGo Personal Jukebox - In 1998, Compaq developed the Personal Jukebox, which was the first hard drive based DAP using a 2.5" laptop drive. It was licensed to HanGo Electronics (now known as Remote Solution), which first sold the PJB-100 (Personal Jukebox) in 1999. The player had an initial capacity of 4.8 GB, with an advertised capacity of 1200 songs.

Creative NOMAD Jukebox - In 2000, Creative released the 6GB hard drive based Creative NOMAD Jukebox. The name borrowed the jukebox metaphor popularised by Remote Solution, also used by Archos. Later players in the Creative NOMAD range used microdrives rather than laptop drives.

Cowon iAUDIO CW100 - In October 2000, South Korean software company Cowon Systems released their first MP3 player, the CW100, under the brand name iAUDIO. Ironically, Cowon would later be accused for 'stealing' the 'i-prefix' from Apple, despite the iAUDIO brand being launched one year prior to the first iPod model and aimed exclusively at the Korean market.

Archos Jukebox - In December 2000, some months after the Creative's NOMAD Jukebox, Archos released its Jukebox 6000 with a 6GB hard drive.

Finally in 2001 - iPod

IMO the Imac was hideous, and I wasnt born yet when the first Mac was released. :shrug: what was wrong with the iMac 15 inch screen all in one

Research shows that Xerox had something on the market 3 years prior. - it was not a commercial release Xerox PARC used several 100 in its research labs - the 1st commercial GUI I saw was GEOS running on a Commodore 64 in 1986

Also want to add, I know several Apple users who discounted the Samsung watch and other variants as useless gadgets. Now that Apple has one released, they can't stop talking about how amazing and innovative it is.

yeah I don't get the watch thing ...... Apple does create a buzz

:cheers:

Last edited:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
yeah I don't get the watch thing ...... Apple does create a buzz

:cheers:

It's all good.

On the All in one, I always thought they were hideous, it was a good concept, came in fun colors and led to the current flat panel all in one concept. I also had on of those RIO mp3 cd players, I thought it was awesome in high school how I could fit 150+ songs on a single CD. Had numerous cheap MP3 players after that. One thing I do remember with the i designation was the old Compaq iPaq PDA. Thing was huge but put the old Palm pilots to shame, had full color backlit display, IR blaster, games and everything. THis was back in the mid 90's way before Apple "invented" the iPod.

mamatutu

mama to two
There have been numerous commercials lately, like from Samsung and others that are criticizing Apple in the fact that they were not the first innovators, and have copied others. I guess the competition is pretty stiff. I still have a dumb phone, but may upgrade someday. I keep giving the upgrades to my children. I really don't see the hype about any of this technology. It keeps taking away from actual human interaction. Oh well.

MMM_donuts

I love my new phone. I got the small one and it's still a little big for my hand, which is my only complaint. I don't understand why the public insists upon larger phones but Apple is giving the people what they want.

The new phone has a health app that probably works really well with the watch if you're into tracking all your moves and your sleep and stuff.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
There where numerous MP3 players on the market prior to the Ipod release. IMO the Imac was hideous, and I wasnt born yet when the first Mac was released. Research shows that Xerox had something on the market 3 years prior.

My statement is going towards the smartphone market. Apple has lost their innovation foothold that they once had, and while Apple fanboys always said they did not need a large screen, a big Apple phone comes out and fan boy just made a mess in their pants. I like a lot of the things Apple has done, and I have respect for what they have done for various computer and entertainment markets.

A good, reasonable, thoughtful post. Well done! :buddies:

****This post has been reported**** :lol:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
I love my new phone. I got the small one and it's still a little big for my hand, which is my only complaint. I don't understand why the public insists upon larger phones but Apple is giving the people what they want.

The new phone has a health app that probably works really well with the watch if you're into tracking all your moves and your sleep and stuff.

Larger screen allows you to do more with a single device. I could have never watched a movie on a plane, or open two screens at one time so I didn't have to keep going back and forth to transfer information. It allows you to use the device as more than just a phone, it is now useful as a handheld computer, or for entertainment. For some it doesnt work for them, I have and S4 that I bought May of 13, it gets the job done and I have no issues, the wifes not 2 while much larger is not any hassle. In fact 90% of my time lurking on the forums is done on the phone. THe larger screen has always been something that Apple said they would never follow, the market has spoken and results were made.

Samsung has had a health app for a while (it was a factory app on the S4), I do not think that the Samsung watch did much health wise at its launch. However the Fit bit bands which work with any phone seem to be pretty popular.

A good, reasonable, thoughtful post. Well done! :buddies:

****This post has been reported**** :lol:

Report away.