Play stupid games....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"Early reports indicate a male in his early 20’s was traveling eastbound in the westbound lane on a motorized mini bike when he struck a Volkswagen passenger vehicle. The rider of the mini bike was ejected and came to rest in the eastbound lane where he was then struck by a Chevrolet Suburban."

You see how far away the Suburban was from the VW???

Anything worth doing...

blacklabman

So they block off 235 so a helo can land and take the fool to a hospital. Charge him for the flight time. He was obviously at fault and should be charged.

NextJen

Raisin cane
So they block off 235 so a helo can land and take the fool to a hospital. Charge him for the flight time. He was obviously at fault and should be charged.

Maybe if his parents have any money left after funeral expenses they could foot that bill.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I saw the minibike and the car that hit it. Oddly...the minibike is not that badly damaged. The left front of the car and the driver's side windshield were a mess!

The story makes it sound like darkness was a factor, but how dark is it at 7:40 PM? Now driving in the wrong lane...that surely was a factor!

NextJen

Raisin cane
The guy on the minibike was reportedly 31 years old. ?

I just went back and checked the article I saw earlier, I could have sworn it said 20 years old, but I see it was updated to say 21 years old. I'm guessing his parents will still have to bury him. Sad for them even if he was doing something incredibly stupid.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I see now the article has "31" struck and "21" added. In any event..not a "kid". I won't say I've never ridden an "off road toy" on pavement before but, right or wrong, what the heck he was doing in the wrong lane will probably forever remain a mystery....

MarieB

I saw the minibike and the car that hit it. Oddly...the minibike is not that badly damaged. The left front of the car and the driver's side windshield were a mess!

The story makes it sound like darkness was a factor, but how dark is it at 7:40 PM? Now driving in the wrong lane...that surely was a factor!

It was fairly dark at that time last night. I find it sometimes more difficult to see during that time than it is when it's completely dark. That is a blind bend right there too

Sad for everyone involved

Tech

Remember last night there was storm clouds that may have made it darker than usual plus what is the tree coverage for the area? If it was dark enough the on coming Suburban may have had his lights on that may have blinded the VW driver/camouflaged the bike enough so that he didn't see the bike.

I heard the helo land, but was in the house, so couldn't figure out where he put down.

It was pretty dark already when the helo came over.

Reminds me of an old news article: President of a major insurance company decided to take a min-bike for a spin. Crashed and killed himself.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Remember last night there was storm clouds that may have made it darker than usual plus what is the tree coverage for the area? If it was dark enough the on coming Suburban may have had his lights on that may have blinded the VW driver/camouflaged the bike enough so that he didn't see the bike.

Gotcha. The deputy I spoke with indicated that the driver of the car probably had no time to respond to the minibike in their lane due to both the curve and darkness. Have to feel terrible for the drivers of car and the Suburban too.

The minibike appeared to be about band new...

officeguy

The helo is a pre-paid plan. We pay for it with a fee on our car and motorcycle registrations. Now, this little crotch-rocket was unregistered, so a case could be made to charge him for it.

(the problem is that despite their promises, MDSP has not managed to obtain an operating certificate for their flight operation, their ability to charge for their service, e.g. to out of staters is limited)

Last edited:

officeguy

Gotcha. The deputy I spoke with indicated that the driver of the car probably had no time to respond to the minibike in their lane due to both the curve and darkness. Have to feel terrible for the drivers of car and the Suburban too.

The minibike appeared to be about band new...

From my armchair investigators position, it looks like the VW nailed the crotch rocket from behind, flung the body into the oncoming lane where it was hit and dragged by the Suburban. This was during the 'blue hour' and the VWs vision may well have been impaired by the oncoming truck.

SG_Player1974

The helo is a pre-paid plan. We pay for it with a fee on our car and motorcycle registrations. Now, this little crotch-rocket was unregistered, so a case could be made to charge him for it.

Trust me! You are NOT gonna get a ride in the chopper without getting a bill! OR, at least, someone will get the bill (taxpayers)

BernieP

Resident PIA
Considering the bike hit the driver's side, I say the lights from the oncoming suburban were probably a factor. Dark clotihg, in the dark without lights or even reflectors, nothing to indicate the bike was on the road. This was not a 12 year old, 21 year old should know better.

Tech

Considering the bike hit the driver's side, I say the lights from the oncoming suburban were probably a factor. Dark clotihg, in the dark without lights or even reflectors, nothing to indicate the bike was on the road. This was not a 12 year old, 21 year old should know better.

Sometimes the only way that I know someone/something is in the road is when the oncoming headlight "blinks".

phobos512

From my armchair investigators position, it looks like the VW nailed the crotch rocket from behind, flung the body into the oncoming lane where it was hit and dragged by the Suburban. This was during the 'blue hour' and the VWs vision may well have been impaired by the oncoming truck.

The bike and the VW were facing each other given that the bike was going the wrong way in the same lane per the article. Shape of the front of the VW kicked the bike into the grille. Guy bounced off the windshield and into the opposing lane (all that energy in an elastic collision has to go somewhere) and along came the Suburban. Game, set and match.