Bikers beware!

TPD

the poor dad
Both pedicyclists and motorbikylists - Route 5 from Hermanville Road to Great Mills Road is all jacked up and not suitable for either of ya. Asphalt grinding has taken place getting ready for a new coat so lots of grooviness going on along with loose stones & rough patches - travel lanes & shoulders.

St. Mary's City azzhat modifications also taking place - sidewalks being installed ON WHAT USED TO BE THE SHOULDER OF THE HIGHWAY! Looks like a dumb idea to me but hey, I'm not the smort engine ears on this project so what do I know.

glhs837

Power with Control
Certainly suitable for aware motorcyclists who are not complete newbies. Just be aware of the possible changing surfaces. The shoulders are worse, since they are not as conscientious at removing the loose stuff. And I agree, that stuff on 5 around the college is a waste of time and money. Haven't lost any proto hippies yet.

phobos512

Certainly suitable for aware motorcyclists who are not complete newbies. Just be aware of the possible changing surfaces. The shoulders are worse, since they are not as conscientious at removing the loose stuff. And I agree, that stuff on 5 around the college is a waste of time and money. Haven't lost any proto hippies yet.

The loose gravel is the worst thing about when they do this, not the changing road surface. In my personal motorcycling experience, that is.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's great practice for newer riders. You WILL run into these conditions when you don't expect it. Checking it out on a Sunday morning allows for it to be more a training thing than a shocker.

glhs837

Power with Control
Changing surface includes stuff like sand and gravel, not just the height difference. One of the worst puckers I ever had was going over the bridge on Indian Bridge, and finding the county had started laying down tar and chip but neglected to post any signs. Came over the bridge hot, saw that, knew it was going to be close to slow enough to make the corner without either kicking the front out or going off the edge. Made it but just barely. Riders should seek out challenging surfaces under benign conditions, like Larry said. Go across a grated bridge under clear sunny conditions, not in NJ rush hour in the rain after riding 6 hours from MA.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Changing surface includes stuff like sand and gravel, not just the height difference. One of the worst puckers I ever had was going over the bridge on Indian Bridge, and finding the county had started laying down tar and chip but neglected to post any signs. Came over the bridge hot, saw that, knew it was going to be close to slow enough to make the corner without either kicking the front out or going off the edge. Made it but just barely. Riders should seek out challenging surfaces under benign conditions, like Larry said. Go across a grated bridge under clear sunny conditions, not in NJ rush hour in the rain after riding 6 hours from MA.

*ALERT* To noobs, be sure in your mind of proper technique, what you will be trying to practice focusing on that is different when everything starts getting vague, BEFORE you go seeking challenging surfaces.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
1. Do not panic, do not stab at your controls. Most likely what you will need to do is stay SMOOTH on the power
2. Do NOT look down. Keeps eyes focused on where you want to GO.
3. SMOOTH is always key, especially so on sketchy footing, smooth accel or decel or applications of brakes. You CAN use front brakes here just be LIGHT and SMOOTH

jrt_ms1995

So, did this section of roadway need work, or is this just more pre-election "look what we do for you yokels, now shut up and give us more money" showmanship like the earlier paving on 235 and on Bull Rd. in L'town?

TPD

the poor dad
So, did this section of roadway need work, or is this just more pre-election "look what we do for you yokels, now shut up and give us more money" showmanship like the earlier paving on 235 and on Bull Rd. in L'town?

Yes, this section does need the repaving in my opinion. Having ridden my bicycle on this part of Route 5, I could see more closely how damaged and cracked the asphalt was. This section of road was a rough ride not only on a bike, but also in a car. SHA did temporary fixes the last couple of years by filling the cracks with tar, which made the ride that much worse IMO.

Now the millions it's gonna take and the inconvenience to commuters to fix the small bridge just south of Willows Road - I'm not so sure about. Add to this the delays for construction in SMC and I see added congestion on Route 235 as Webster Field workers choose to avoid Route 5.

glhs837

Power with Control
I agree, this stretch needed more than the tons of liquid crack filler they have poured in over the years. I'm pretty sure that contributed to the death of that rider that hit the ditch then pole by the farm a couple years back. The inconsistent traction and level difference between pavement and "tar snakes" could make it harder to stay on line. TPD, I think it's the underneath of that small bridge that's the issue. It's failing underneath, I think. The SMC thing is a joke, traffic doesnt need calming, and there have been no real safety issues. Only one pedestrian hit I''m aware of, and word has it she might have not been navigating all the well herself.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Both pedicyclists and motorbikylists - Route 5 from Hermanville Road to Great Mills Road is all jacked up and not suitable for either of ya. Asphalt grinding has taken place getting ready for a new coat so lots of grooviness going on along with loose stones & rough patches - travel lanes & shoulders.

St. Mary's City azzhat modifications also taking place - sidewalks being installed ON WHAT USED TO BE THE SHOULDER OF THE HIGHWAY! Looks like a dumb idea to me but hey, I'm not the smort engine ears on this project so what do I know.

Maybe they could do that down our way.....

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
They ground the road in front of my house 3 weeks ago. Still waiting for the re-pave.

They haven't ground our road in 30 years......
.....and it's a state road.
We have county roads and farm lanes in better shape....

Goldenhawk

I'm glad they've finally started working on Rt 5 south of GMR/246. It's been frustrating seeing so many other areas getting fresh paving, while 5 south was in HORRIBLE shape with tons of cracks and potholes and sealing tar lines. I was beginning to worry about the effect another winter would have on the pavement. I had made a few mental notes to call State Highway and complain about the choice of paving areas.

So even if it takes them a few weeks to finish, I'm okay with that.