Do you tip your cleaning crew during hotel stay?

Do you tip your hotel maid service?

• Never. It's part of the price I paid up front.

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Only if the service is above and beyond normal expectations.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Always a couple bucks for each night.

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Always a ten or so for each night.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
"Jessica Lynn Strosky of DuBois, Pennsylvania, who earns $7.75 an hour cleaning rooms at a hotel that's not a Marriott, says only 1 in 15 or 20 guests leaves a tip. When they do, it's a dollar or two; she's lucky to get $20 a week in tips. "I've talked to lots of people who say they don't know they are supposed to tip," she said."

2nd question would be do you KNOW you are SUPPOSED to tip your cleaning staff according to THEY? I personally am more the line of thinking of Barbara Ehrenreich:

"Unlike waitresses who earn less than minimum wage because tips are expected to raise their earnings, hotel housekeepers are paid minimum wage, and in expensive markets, substantially more. In Washington D.C., Sorenson said, Marriott housekeepers start in the mid-teens per hour.

Not everyone applauds the envelope concept. "It is not Marriott's responsibility to remind customers to tip; it's their responsibility to pay their workers enough so that tips aren't necessary," said author Barbara Ehrenreich, who tried working as a hotel maid for her 2001 book "Nickel and Dimed," which chronicled her experiences in low-wage jobs.'

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I always tip around $5+ per night. My husband had never heard of tipping the housekeepers before we traveled together the first time, and he had been traveling for years.

Freefaller

I always tip around $5+ per night. My husband had never heard of tipping the housekeepers before we traveled together the first time, and he had been traveling for years.

My wife and I always leave a tip. Usually about $2-$3 per night.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I tip 2-3 per night. I did leave a crazy big tip for the maid at the end of a weeks vacation a few years ago. Bug & her friend weren't using the "special" old towels for removing their make up and also got pink hair dye all over the towels and sheets, as well. Our maid was so sweet about it, but those stains made extra work for her. The owner called me the next day and told me that the maid was so appreciative, she cried. I told her it was well deserved.

SAWK

Most of the time. Depends on length of stay. One night, not likely. Otherwise a couple of $ per night.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I'm there for several days and they come in and actually do something for me, I'll leave a tip. This might be dumb but I alway worry that the maid who got me extra towels and coffee and emptied my trash might not be the same one who fixes the room after I check out, therefore the one who did the extra work for me won't get her money. Anyone know how that works? Do they have territories or anything like that?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Always and without fail. If all I have is a $20 for one night, that's what they get. It is one of the worst jobs I can conceive of and if tipping hotel staff is the one good thing I did when no one was watching, at least I did that much.

Always and without fail. If all I have is a $20 for one night, that's what they get. It is one of the worst jobs I can conceive of and if tipping hotel staff is the one good thing I did when no one was watching, at least I did that much.
Seriously? One of the worst jobs you can conceive of? I seriously question what it is you do to your hotel rooms...:twitch:

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I do not for a one night stand, if I'm in and out without seeing anyone but the desk clerk. If there for a number of days - yes. Once I see a face, and the job is done well, about $10 per night (especially in Yellow Stone and they leave a few extra sculptures of the blue bear soaps). If just sat - maybe $5 per.

It is an entry level position, after all.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
Depends on the job she does. If the room is not cleaned very good, then no tip. She does a good job, then yes I tip.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Depends on the job she does. If the room is not cleaned very good, then no tip. She does a good job, then yes I tip.

See. From the moment I get there until I leave, I don't want any room service. I'll grab stuff off the cart if I am short soaps or towels but, I don't want anyone in my room. So, all I see is first impression and then the disaster I leave behind.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
See. From the moment I get there until I leave, I don't want any room service. I'll grab stuff off the cart if I am short soaps or towels but, I don't want anyone in my room. So, all I see is first impression and then the disaster I leave behind.

I am not a messy person, but make the bed, clean the toilet, vacuum and leave fresh towels and I am happy.

Based on what you describe, I agree you should tip and you should tip big.

If I'm there for more than one night I always put out the "do not clean" sign until the night before we are departing. I don't expect them to make the bed and vacuum and such each day. If I want fresh towels I exchange old for new. Right before check-out I make sure all used towels and floor mats are in the tub, make sure all soaps and other stuff such as empty or used bottles are in the trash can. I make sure the dryer cord s wound up and the dryer put back under the cabinet. When I leave everything is back in its place and the stuff they have to clean is organized and ready for easy pick up.