Talking trim, baeboard to be exact, where to place joints.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, the massive living room flooring project is coming along, and now, after mighty labors to nail the transistions juuuuussssst right, it's time to do the baseboard. I could do normal trim like everyone else in the world, but we all know better by now, dont we? :coffee:

Anyway, since the room goes far beyond the length recommended by the maker to put a T-joint in the middle (27 feet), I decided to leave a much larger gap around the edges than the 1/4-1/2 they recommend. I'm leavng a bit over 3/4s of an inch for expansion. So, since most normal trim wont cover that, I going with 5/4 fascia board in 1x4, which I plan to cap off with a 9/16ths bed mould. should look good and match the heroic proportions of the room.

Anyway, since the room is 35 1/2 feet long, and the most common entry point is directly across from one of the long walls, I'm pondering where to put my scarf cuts. using 16 foot boards, so only two scarfs, My first thought was to use a 16 coming in from either end, but then I changed up. Current thought is to place one 16 smack dab in the center of that wall, with smaller pieces (9.5 each) heading to the corners from the ends of that. Plan on the "outie" ends of the scarf to be on the center 16 foot board. In visual terms, I went from this

I================\\====//================I

To this

I==========//================\\==========I

Also not sure if I should butt the corners of the 5/4 and cope the bed mould, or miter the 5/4 and the bed mould. thoughts?

Midnightrider

So, the massive living room flooring project is coming along, and now, after mighty labors to nail the transistions juuuuussssst right, it's time to do the baseboard. I could do normal trim like everyone else in the world, but we all know better by now, dont we? :coffee:

Anyway, since the room goes far beyond the length recommended by the maker to put a T-joint in the middle (27 feet), I decided to leave a much larger gap around the edges than the 1/4-1/2 they recommend. I'm leavng a bit over 3/4s of an inch for expansion. So, since most normal trim wont cover that, I going with 5/4 fascia board in 1x4, which I plan to cap off with a 9/16ths bed mould. should look good and match the heroic proportions of the room.

Anyway, since the room is 35 1/2 feet long, and the most common entry point is directly across from one of the long walls, I'm pondering where to put my scarf cuts. using 16 foot boards, so only two scarfs, My first thought was to use a 16 coming in from either end, but then I changed up. Current thought is to place one 16 smack dab in the center of that wall, with smaller pieces (9.5 each) heading to the corners from the ends of that. Plan on the "outie" ends of the scarf to be on the center 16 foot board. In visual terms, I went from this

I================\\====//================I

To this

I==========//================\\==========I

Also not sure if I should butt the corners of the 5/4 and cope the bed mould, or miter the 5/4 and the bed mould. thoughts?
I'd probably miter the 5/4 and cope the molding. You are probably going to. Need to work the 5/4 joints to make them match up nice. On second thought, butt the 5/4 and then cope your bed molding.

limblips

PREMO Member
30 degree miter on the 5/4, fewest joints possible while using as little lumber as possible. Placement of the joints (other than over a stud for rigidity) doesn't matter since if done right they should not show. On the moulding, cope inside corners and miter outside corners (if any). Good luck. The details make the job!

glhs837

Power with Control
Thanks. I got the details thing. Sweated those transitions hard :) To the point of ripping down a custom shim 8 feet long to level the transition piece just right :) Spent an hour and a half just fitting the board under the 3 foot dorway. For that 30, you are talking about the scarf joints I assume?